AuthorTopic: New  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Yami-Ryuu

• View Profile

New

on: January 02, 2007, 04:37:58 pm
Hey every one im new i was a spriter but i only done charsets this is like my first time attempting this and i hope you guys like it

im not done yet but this is so far what i got
i am trying to make this person http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/01/25/boondocks.jpg

this is what i got http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9951/guyvv4.png

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: New

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 04:41:43 pm
hello and welcome to the forum.

Foremost, although you've gotten your images on the net wcorrectly, and managed to egt the right link (direct link, non of that other imageshack). It is recommended you link the images so you can take advantage fo the forum's built in click zoom.

use the button and surround your image url with the tags it creates

ie.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9951/guyvv4.png[/img]
makes

Aside from that, there isn't much to crit yet, continue working on the lines.

Offline Yami-Ryuu

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:42:45 pm
Thanks ^^ any

comments on the sprite face???
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:56:33 pm by Yami-Ryuu »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:59:36 pm
First off, it's not a sprite.
And there's no face.

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:03:16 pm
Well, there are some obvious things in the reference that you didn't put in your version.

1. The hair - it's much MUCH bigger, and the curves you used don't really have the same effect as the sharper spiky-er texture of the ref.

2.  The chin - he has an angled jawline and pointy chin, in your version it's very square... and even if you don't want to copy the style of the ref exactly, this is a big part in what makes the character recognizable so, I really don't understand why you made the chin so straight..

3. This is the biggest issue, I think, the eyes - even with giant hair and pointy, no one will know that it's Huey if you keep on this track when you do the eyes.  He has an exxagerated forehead, and in the ref his eyebrow only goes up so high because of his expression.  In your pixel 1. the eyebrows are both the same, which tells me you're doing a different expression on his face, and 2. The slope of the eyebrows is a lot less steep than in the ref.

4. His hair goes lower down his neck, which also should be a little thinner.

There is a certain delicate quality in Huey's features, and still, even this early on, I don't see that in your piece.  All these things are fixable, but I'd suggest you start over on this before you put too much time into it.  It just doesn't reflect the character well enough.

Offline Yami-Ryuu

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:31:44 pm
Okay i re did it il do the hair next bout is this better?

there ref is on it dont worrie about the white thignys on it

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:50:12 pm
well his eyes are different shapes for one, if you're just gonna copy and paste one eye, at least flip the outline of it.

His hairline needs to be higher still, but the face is more recodnizable now

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:55:42 pm
well you haven't manually pixelled the eyes, don't take your colours straight from the picture, it's really lazy and you won't learn anything.

here's an edit.

no nothing about the character but.. his shoulders and neck are too wide, eyes are too high, eyebrows are too thin. dont know what the front of im looks like so I just guessed (poorly). hope this helps.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:05:04 pm
Look at how much darker the dark shade is on the reference than in the sprite. There's much more contrast there. Put the shading under the eyebrows to give the face depth like in the reference. The hair is going to be the most important feature though; it is what makes this character instantly recognizable (to me at least). Terley's edit is well done, but no need to shrink the ears like he did, although they are smaller than the ones you had -- make them roughly the height of the eyes, and pull the top curve back further on them. The character has a sort of poochy lower lip too, that's important. Neck looks way too long compared to refrence.

Closer study of the reference should be sufficient to get a good resemblance I think. :3

Offline Yami-Ryuu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 09:38:15 pm
well you haven't manually pixelled the eyes, don't take your colours straight from the picture, it's really lazy and you won't learn anything.

here's an edit.

no nothing about the character but.. his shoulders and neck are too wide, eyes are too high, eyebrows are too thin. dont know what the front of im looks like so I just guessed (poorly). hope this helps.

Can i get permmisson to countenu off urs??