AuthorTopic: First attempt at creating a floor tile. Feedback is appreciated! =D  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Meximia

• View Profile

With some tiles put together in a 100x100 space

First attempt at creating a floor tile. Feedback and ways to improve are appreciated! =DDD
UPDATE: I used your advice and removed the line. I'm still learning how to make the outline less obvious since this is a WIP. Also, this is only for testing. It isn't an actual floor tile that will be in the game it is just a concept to help me learn how to do it for future reference. Here's the updated version.

Together
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:44:53 pm by Meximia »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website
It's hard to judge a tile in isolation. Make a floor with it. I'm sure some issues will pop out right away even before others take a look, and it'll help others give you more useful feedback too.
For example, this tile doesn't actually appear to tile. The top and bottom boards will have 2px of darkness between them instead of 1px like the rest, and the sides of the boards are cut off, so they're not going to form longer boards across tiles.

Offline Meximia

• View Profile
@Eishiya just added it to the post. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website
I'm sure you can see the same problems I see - you've got a faint line running through all the boards along the edges of the tile, and some of your boards are never-ending.

Do you have any sprites that would be used for this project? The boards are rather dark, so sprites that are mostly dark or employ a lot of dark outlines might not read well. In addition, despite them being so dark, there might still be readability issues because the dark outlines are fairly prominent. Consider perhaps getting rid of the darkest colour or making it lighter and using it more sparingly, e.g.

(I also modified the colours to add a little hue-shifting, the colours get progressively more purple the darker they are, this makes them feel a bit more interesting without introducing too much contrast.)

What size is this tile meant to be? I made a 24x24 one for my example, but because yours was shown in isolation and apparently with an outline, it seems to be some other size?

Offline Meximia

• View Profile
The original floor tile size is 28x25. I have many other sprites for this game. I'm only 15 so I am still learning how to do pixel art and I want to improve. I have adjusted the floor tile a bit as well.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website
Orthogonal tiles like this are typically square, which is why that size threw me off. If you've got a way to use tiles of this odd size though, go for it!

If you have other sprites, I recommend making a mockup for context. It's much easier to give feedback on tiles, sprites, etc in context. It's also easier to work on them and make sure they're cohesive if you work on them together, or at least regularly check them by placing them in a scene.