AuthorTopic: Need some UI advice  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Re: Need some UI advice

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 12:15:23 am
So here how it looks . Something still feels off but i can't figure it out, maybe that is just me =/

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 05:36:54 pm
I got my laboratory up and running, what do you guys think about this research UI? (Blobber Autopsy green stuff is a bug caused by gifcam application)

P.s. Yes, I love X-Com games :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:39:14 pm by Jedemy »

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 05:53:53 am
It's looking good. To the point where now the first thing I notice in your UI is the deep black background. I'd make it a textured gray or at least not deep black (a purple or blue that READS as gray to the viewer). I also think you could increase the "selected option" intensity 1 or 2 more steps. It doesn't become immediately apparent from a glance what is selected and what isn't selected.

Otherwise the only other thing that stands out is the Green angled symbols near the battery I think could use more texture or shading. Actually it looks like the main battery units on the far right have some slight shading. I'd try to include something similar on the angled unit symbols in the middle menu area.

Overall the things that stand out are the solid colors (background and green angle symbols). Everything else is very tastefully shaded. So the solid colors stand out a lot.

But overall I think it's looking great. There is a clear visual hierarchy and the shading is really great on the different menu sections. And I love the green/pink/blue bubble meters in the middle section.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:28 am
The highlight color may be sufficient, but I find it too slow to fade-in/fade-out. It may not be an issue if the game has a mouse cursor anyway to see what you're pointing, but if it's cursor-driven, it makes the interface look sluggish, and also reduces visibility: If you try scroll continuously down to select an item near the end, the "current" item will not be highlighted for long enough to become visible, and so you can't see anything until you release the down control.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 05:23:33 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@DTE462 I am glad you liked it , i have serious problems with that pitch black background and can't really figure out how to solve it. Doesn't matter what i tried i wasn't able to do it, will keep working on it though.

@yrizoud There won't be any mouse interaction within the game since it is designed for Consoles but will be available for PC too.
You guys are right about the opacity and it's speed to lighten up, I've already changed that. :)

I could really use some tips for that black background , if you have an idea please let me know.

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 05:43:46 pm
If it's menu that is mid play, I would just have the current background with a solid color set to 50% or so transparency. If it's ab entirely new scene or layout I'd say more of those pipes that the foreground menus are made out of but with far far less contrast. But even a solid color that isn't black Stark black would be better. Maybe some simple texture patterns could work too.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 08:52:53 pm
The background is already not solid black, there seems to be a dark image behind it. It could stand to be a little more visible, but not too much, or else it would become distracting.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:55 pm
Yeah there is grayscale mothership on the background, i thought it might be better than just a black background

Offline DTE462

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 02:24:06 am
Oh I see it. It wasn't showing up on my phone for some reason.

Maybe lighten it a bit, and double or triple the size of it, so that it's more abstract but still subconsciously connected. I'd still shift it to a specific color. But I would still keep the background of the menu items on the left as solid black. Changing the main background to a specific color will make them stand out more too.

Offline Jedemy

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 08:19:55 am
Update :