AuthorTopic: [WiP] Game project "Jobel" mock-up  (Read 17138 times)

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: [WiP] Game project "Jobel" mock-up

Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 02:16:13 am
yours                                              Mine

looked a bit busy and overdithered.  i simply added a new tone, that could smooth out the darker outlines, removed some of the (in my opinion) overdither,  and removed some of the "wrinkles" that made him look less muscular. 

take note of *his* right arm. there you can see i used that extra tone, started to AA, and removed some of the "UN-necessary" wrinkles.

also, edited his eyes and lips a bit, but not sure i did well there. 

lastly, i removed some of the wrinkles on his left arm and chest, and smoothed that out a bit.

i probably butchered the style, but then again, i think this matches the style of the mock up better.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:25:54 am by eck »
untz untz untz?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 06:29:37 am
Here is an edit. I think your sprites lack contrast and have kinda dirty looking colors. This fits with your game of course (which is
really smokey and stuff), but I wanted to redo your sprite in a cuter, more readable style. You might be able to have all your sprites like this and keep the smoke effects for the background only.

Your boss is looking great. I like how you've done it, detail is good. I would like more black in his hair.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 01:20:15 pm
I've started working on the actual game content now. So I've started with some animations. I'm working on the walk and run -cycles now. There are some errors in my sketches, but mostly small stuff that can be fixed in pixelform.  :)

I like how his head wobbles, hopefully I can recreate that in the sprite. ;)

Here's my sketch for the run animation.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 02:21:50 pm
Cool - about art on top topic!
But why left hand you characters move a strange? The right hand move perfect, in there emotion, limpness, but left hand move constrained too much. Thats see in the run and walk. Also you get it in the pixel animation to.
And legs move in some frame correctly, but another frame very bad, and you character is stumble...
I think this help you, see this in frame

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 03:45:56 pm
animations.

DID someone call my name? I think this a job for CONCEIT MAN! taa ta ta ta taaaaaaaa! ok that sucked  :D hope it atleast made you giggle........no? ;_;

when you first draw a frame pretty much establish the movement, and with every new layer of detail added in you polish what was established there by adding volume and detail.

TO DO that, it is preferable that use Onion Skinning ( I cant live whitout it)

ONION SKINNING is what they call it when you do a frame, and while you draw it you can partially see the previous/next frame translucent. THAT is the point of lightboards and such (I dont know  how to get one, never used one), if you dont have that posibility in paper...I reccomend you stick to the computer, I find it much better to just do things IN the damn thing anyway. ggale pmotion or take1 all allow for onion skinning.

Why AM I babbling about this onion skinning?

BECAUSE I see you have a good sense of composition because of your poses, BUT your animation just looks very very jumpy, those two are contradictory so I can only asume you lacked proper tools, so this piece screams "I WASNT DONE WITH ONION SKINNING".

Ok, now lets talk about ur little walking guy

AXIS points & motion paths.
that's what the jumpyness is about. remember baccaman's post/tutorial?

here's the pendulum in action- note the ARC it creates...*SNIP*
*SNIP*
OK, a feet's MOTION PATH in a walk loop, is like he says, it reasembles an arc.

MOTION PATH is the line that would be drawn if you picked a random part of the body and drew a line describing the PATH (omigosh) it follows troughout the animation. Everything in an animation has one, and in looped animations they form a circuit, a closed curve.
YOU should care about that because crappy motion paths=jumpy animation. When animation is jumpy you can see in it the motion paths because it looks zig-zaggy. Uh..dont psyche out about it too much (OMG I must attain the perfect motion path figure) tho...I dont really draw motioon paths at all and I dont think you need to, I just think it's a good tool to spot jumpyness...

AXIS points
Generally sprites need a center, a still point which's motion path looks like a dot ( · <- just like that! ) so that they can be scrolled, so that the screen can be centered to them when it's scrolling and many other wonderful(silly) things programers like to do. This is called the Axis point (picked up the term from mugen :p) you lack this too, and your walk makes people a little sick in the stomach because of it. it anywhere between the torso and the head, its pretty much dependant on the character but you need to set something as an axis point.

P.S:
why it is a taboo to use many colors has many reasons, the one that matters to me is that the more colors the more it's a pain in the ass to animate...and animation is really fun! so I try to use only what's necesary....sometimes I cant control myself tho C.c OH and nice atmosphere, I can see where you're going, your overall palletes and specially dirt tiles could use some work tho.

P.S 2:
WHOA I would have sworn that Adam Tirney did that boss if I didnt know better, you must be his secret clone or something. Uh, my opinion is you need to focus on volume....animate a version of it that has just volume, and then just chuck as much detail as you can on top of that.

P.S. 3: NONE because sony SUCKS! BA DA BUM PSHHHH!........BOY am I (un)funny today, I better get some sleep.

EDIT: GET OVER IT CONCEIT IT'S POSTED, GONE, KAPUT!!! STOP EDITING

EDIT2: ITS NOT OVER YET...OK, this edit was actually about cutting stuff out....LET IT GO CAMILO LET IT GO! NOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAH *poof*
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:22:42 pm by Conceit »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 05:06:01 pm
Ditto to what's been said already. Just curious - did you use tracing paper or a lightbox when you did your sketches, or did you just draw the frames up side by side? The reason I'm asking is that it's very difficult to get a fluid-looking animation by doing the latter.

For the sake of being thorough, I'll go into some depth here. There are a few problems that jump out immediately: One is that his walk is not symmetrical at all. When a human being walks, under normal circumstances, his right and left appendages legs are moving just as much, just as far. This rule is broken when a person is staggering, drunk, limping, etc. In your animation, his right arm is moving much more than his left arm is. If you did this in real life you would lose your balance and fall over, or veer off course.

Problem number 2 is that his feet aren't moving smoothly. When your character is walking in the game it will be presumably at a constant speed. The background will be scrolling by at a constant speed. In order for the animation to be convincing, the foot that is currently resting on the ground needs to be passing underneath him at the same constant speed as the background of the game, because that foot should look like it's staying in one place while the rest of his body passes over it at a constant speed.

Maybe you already knew that and just have to refine the animation some more. Either way you're going to be better off doing your animations either directly on the computer, or investing in a lightbox or (if you're broke like me) some tracing paper so your hand-drawn animations can be more refined.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 05:24:01 pm
lmao...I suspected we thought alike but that was RIDICULOUS! ;D

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 05:58:59 pm
lmao...I suspected we thought alike but that was RIDICULOUS! ;D

Haha I only skimmed over the other critiques... after I wrote mine I read yours in detail and was like, "crap, he already said most of that." oh well.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 07:26:51 pm
I did the sketches on paper side-by-side. I didn't have my wacom with me and no lightbox (though I do have a lightbox, but have it stuffed away somewhere overseas). The sketches do contain a large number of error and weird stuff, like the stiff left arm. My intent was to fix things up when pixeling (easier to slide things around and rotate when pixeling). I'm not a very experienced animator (my messing around in Flash doesn't really count) but I do know what Onion Skinning is  :P, and it's a very handy feature. I don't like to do my animations in scale 1:1 right of the bat though. I will probably do the mostpart of the game's animations in PS with a wacom.

Anyways, I messed around with my little walking guy. I snapped away about half of the frames, made one new, copied them all and tweaked them. Very nasty way of fixing it, but it works.

12 frames  :crazy:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 07:29:49 pm by Luzeke »

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:44 am
Anyways, I messed around with my little walking guy. I snapped away about half of the frames, made one new, copied them all and tweaked them. Very nasty way of fixing it, but it works.
12 frames  :crazy:

Now, its good )) But maybe you enough 8 frames. Anyway thats look more better than before!