AuthorTopic: [WiP] Game project "Jobel" mock-up  (Read 17025 times)

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

[WiP] Game project "Jobel" mock-up

on: December 31, 2006, 01:13:02 am
Spring is approaching and with it our second-year game project. We get ten weeks to make a game, whatever game we want. So I'm putting pretty much everything aside to work on that. So I've started doing a mock-up for my game. Here's the mockup.

There are a couple things missing here though, like the GUI.
Update [2/1 -07]:

The player controls two characters simultaneously, the demon-ish guy to the leftmost, and the burning sprite thingie in the middle. The military guy is an enemy.
 :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 02:29:25 pm by Luzeke »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WiP] Game project "Jobel" mock-up

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:27:04 am
Those are some nice silhouettes in the background. I don't like the color of the sky or the background clouds.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 03:00:53 am
That looks really cool, Luzeke. Everything looks nice, and I especially like how you made that wispy smoke.

I too agree that the sky and clouds need to change color. Something perhaps that gives the feeling of a desolate and harsh environment.

Oh, btw, love your little characters.  :)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:28:23 am
The character's clothes blend into the surrounding area too much. his pants are the colour of the silhouettes and the jacket is the colour of the sky. you may want to somehow contrast the foreground and background a little more. i like the overall design of it, however, i am not too keen on the soldier guy. he looks out of place.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:45:38 am
you could get away with dullin it down a tad..

looks awesome.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 07:09:47 am
Personally, I really like the bright sky colors - it makes the smoke seem a lot dirtier and it gives it a lot more presence. The thing that bothers me the most is the treatment you gave the ground. It's a little too bright, a little too orange, and it seems like the form was sort of a secondary thought. It looks really haphazard and slapped together to me, whereas every other part of the mockup looks clean and beautiful and considered.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 12:16:56 pm
Thanks for all the comments so far. Here's an update.

I liked the colors in your edit Terley, but I felt they took away some of the brightness I wanted the sky to have. So I compromised, hope it came out alright.  :lol:

I thought you may want to look at some stuff separately so here's the sprites and the tiles for the ground.

Quote from: Stwelin
however, i am not too keen on the soldier guy. he looks out of place.
That might be a good thing. The story of the game is about a demon/magic/whatever world in which all sorts of weird creatures live. Criminals of the worst kind in this world is sentenced for exile. This means they get sent to another world (our world). The humans in that world has in their 22:nd century became aware of it and interpreted it as a sort of invasion. They dispatch military units to the magical world to obliterate it.

What is it that makes him look out of place to you?

The ground tiles was the first thing (except Jobel) which I made in the picture and I'm actually not very happy with how they came out. I think I'll have to redo them.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 12:54:54 pm
What is it that makes him look out of place to you?

Maybe becuase he is wearing green in a planet devoid of green stuff. Also he looks bent over in a painful pose. The big grey cloud in the back looks like hills and i don't think hills make sense being that tall.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:56:34 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 01:26:33 pm
Another vote here for "love the silhouettes". The way they have holes in them makes them wonderfully skeletal and dystopian.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 02:36:08 pm
Maybe becuase he is wearing green in a planet devoid of green stuff. Also he looks bent over in a painful pose. The big grey cloud in the back looks like hills and i don't think hills make sense being that tall.

O.o I can't really agree... what you said makes no sense at all...
People/characters can't wear colours that aren't around them? People who live in the deserts can't wear green?
And if those things in the back are hills, what's wrong with them? Given the right perspective, hills can appear that tall. And if not, then they're mountains? If mountains are far enough, in a foggy/polluted area(in which this seems), you won't see the details of the seperate mountains, and they'll merge into one huge backdrop sort of thing.