AuthorTopic: [wip?, update II] Five Dollar Silicon Presley  (Read 6215 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

[wip?, update II] Five Dollar Silicon Presley

on: December 29, 2006, 10:49:44 pm
Hello!

Here is my lastest work, still at an early stage of progress. It was insprired by some cyberpunk/demoscene/helm stuff I've been watching lately. ProMotion + a shitload of coffee/cigarettes.

When finished, it's mean to be used as an 128x128 avatar. I just went tired of that fad thing. :)

Update I, 1. o1. 2oo7:

Update II, 5. o1. 2oo7:

Progress:

If you look closer... yea, you're right - this's another work made with the famous Turbo's palette! but before putting it in the PCH2 official thread, I'd like to hear some crits from you, guys.

I'm especially interested in:

* the shape/placement/general shading of an ear (I hardly ever draw them; here it's also a matter of perspective, I'm afraid)
* highlighting (not fully keen on it, I aim for something... clearer and eye-catching)
* lighting in overall (his right temple - should be lighted more? it's a metal structure)
* ?

So... what do you think? Be as harsh as you like but please don't give a damn! ;)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:03:18 pm by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Out of Ideas. Si, the Cyberelvis. ~SK3

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:14:15 am
The eye on the right seems a little undefined, maybe put a little highlight under it to give an idea of where the socket is? it looks a little lost amidst all the lines on that side of the face.  The rest of the highlighting looks pretty solid.  The little rivets are an interesting touch too.

Nice work, overall. :)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 01:17:39 am
I'm pretty sure turbo got the palette from the layout of pixelation. :}
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 01:19:29 am by Zolthorg »

Offline commodore

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:30:49 am
Helmism :D

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 10:00:28 am
@Stwelin: Thanks, that's an interesting remark. Generally, the whole left side of his face is meant to be a kind of an electronic mess. That's why it may look undefinied. I'm glad you like it.

@Zolthorg: That's even better, since as an avatar it would fit the site layout as nothing else. :)

@commodore: Hehe, actually I thought about it after the 3rd step: *Damn, it resembles one of existing Helm's pieces. Shit!*. :)
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 12:57:33 pm
Oooh! Very nice! I really like what you're doing with the face. Very creative style.  :)

Elvis had bigger hair at the front though.  ;)

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 12:59:29 pm
this looks great. I totally enjoy the pixelation colorscheme so thats a plus right there.
I have to admit though that I get more of an Honest Abe feeling from this then Elvis ...

On the matter of highlighting, the 'rivets' on his leftside of the face, are they supposed to be that ? rivets or are they little indents ? if rivets, then the highlight needs to be on their topleft instead of bottom right.
with the current highlight they look like holes.
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 01:05:39 pm
I have to admit though that I get more of an Honest Abe feeling from this then Elvis ...

Now that you mention it... lol

Yeah, Elvis had a stronger, youthful face; Very pretty-boyish and sexy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:27:30 am by Ryona »

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 06:30:20 pm
@Zolthorg: That's even better, since as an avatar it would fit the site layout as nothing else. :)

I've tried that before.

i hope yours comes out better :P

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 05:25:27 pm
Haha, he can be the Honest Abe if you like. Honestly, I typed 'elvis' just because I had nothing better on mind while thinking of the title (it's kinda catchy with the prefix 'cyber-').

The upper part of his head was cut off for a reason. I'm going to put there a small goblin in a thinking pose. The phrase "Out of Ideas" would make much more sense in that case. In turn, the flowing lock of hair was left here just for an effect. :)

eqko, those are indents (probably), small holes with screws inside - this is a metal construction, you know. Yeah, the colors rock! a pretty universal scheme. :)

Thanks for the C&C so far!

Okay, tommorow I'll try to push the progress along. Happy New Year 2k+7!