AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sprite  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

[WIP] Sprite

on: December 27, 2006, 12:10:54 am
Hello,

I started on this sprite yesterday. I'm already noticing some problems I didn't notice before due to the black background. There are some anatomy issues, but the palette is especially off; I think the hair is too desaturated, but playing around with different hues just doesn't seem to be working. I definitely need tips on shading, since I'm not sure how to shade the skirt and the light source is erratic.

C+C is always appreciated, of course.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprite

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 08:33:13 am
I like this one, especially since you made her a bit chubby (a rare sight among pixelated ladies). As for the shading the skirt, you might wanna try making some fold & cloth studies. Throw a blanket or something over a chair, observe and make some sketches. That could give you an idea on how to approach it.

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:53:05 am
Heya,

Junkboy offered a great way to start off the shading. Although there are many ways you could approach this.

On the colors: You should follow your artistic instincts! What you're missing is contrast; try to reach deeper into the spectrum of color; attempt to use the whole range (EVERYTHING BLACK TO WHITE, DULL TO SHARP[forgot the term for this]). More darks please, the black background doesn't make up for it as you already noticed :p.
Here's a 30 second edit:

This will take more work to polish with more shades but its worth it!

The anatomy is looking fine. You've hid all the difficult areas but I'll forgive you on that. Focus on shading and color on this piece.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:36:29 pm
junkboy: Thank you for the edit. I ended trying to shade the skirt in a different way. I re-structured her a little bit, though it might have cost her that chubby quality you liked. 

Omenith: A little (read: a lot) of contrast was needed, that's true. I tried experimenting with hues and shades some more, and while it still doesn't pop out like it could, it's a little less flat than before. She's gotten a mild tan, lighter highlights in her hair, and I added a dark blue color among other things.

I didn't mean to cover up any problems by using a black background before. :-[

This is still WIP of course, so C+C away!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:11:27 pm by Bissle »