AuthorTopic: Sprites - And tileset..  (Read 8298 times)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Sprites - And tileset..

on: December 27, 2006, 01:57:34 am
Had some time to pixel a bit, so i did those chars. Critz are welcome :).

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:17:37 am by ZoSo »

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Re: Sprites

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:04:50 am
The still ones look pretty good but all of them lack knees and feet, even though the girl has shoes on. The walk cycle looks a bit wonky, I think due to the fact that the legs just shorten and get dark spots. Try drawing on some knees and feet (for these you could maybe just shrink the ankles to suggest them) so it makes more sense to the viewer. The top of the head could use some shading IMO, though it could work without it.

Good palettes on all, but the blue is a bit too unsaturated I think. Bump that up just a little bit.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:34:58 am
I suggest nixing the selout on the head- or just softening it. Also, I don't think you should devide the arms in such a way that they look seperate from the chest area- at least not so much. The faces look devoid of character; you might want to change that. Other than that I really like the colours and I'm sure they'll look great with some work.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:43:16 am
The sprites not bad though I do have some complaints. I'm really not a fan of the pixel dotted line effect you got going there. I don't think it's helping these sprites out at all. It just makes it look messy imho. The shading seems a bit messy and so does some of the AA. I might suggest lightening up your skin's midtone just a little.

The way you have your animation you have your idle sprite and then two other (flipped) frames. What I would suggest with 4 frames is to have 4 different positions for each limb. Right now you just have the 3. This will help add a bit more to the animation and more fluid. Right now the arms and the shadow look like it's just flashing on and off. If you did the full 4 "different" frames you could ease in and out of the shadow.

Here I made a little edit with the legs. It's only 2 different frames (2 are flipped horizontally) but if you follow one leg you'll see it is in 4 different positions. Also I think your bounce/bob might have been the exact opposite of what you want.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 02:22:57 pm
MoD : Yea i did't really know how to do the legs, anywhay thanks :), by the way thats not a girl xD, im just good at making those long hairs rather than short ones at sprites.

Gliding : Yea ill do so :), thanks.

Del : Aah, that showed me a bit how to do the legs. Thanks.

Heres an update, reshaded legs and head and a the body a bit.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:20:22 am by ZoSo »

Offline entivore

• Never known love
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:14:48 am
I'm about to fall asleep here, however, I can make one recommendation.  There should be basically no distance between the legs during walking.  Move each leg in one pixel (and have them share a border) and it'll look much better.
Only in the darkness can one most brightly shine

暗闇だけで最も明るい状態で光り輝くことができる

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 03:21:53 am
also, a person is at their 'low-point' (bobbing when walking) when their legs are apart, and at their 'high-point' when their legs are together.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 01:17:21 am

Tileset update.. not really using it for something, might sell it :O. When its finnished, ive really proud how good ive become with colours and palettes.. :).

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Re: Sprites - And tileset..

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 01:28:10 am
sorry about the double post, but a tree update!

I know im gonna try fixing those trees somehow :O.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: Sprites - And tileset..

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:10:48 am
Zoso, I think you should change those colours right away. These hurt my eyes a lot.

You might want to try a different pattern for the grass because this one is a little too sharp for me.

Keep at it.