AuthorTopic: parody pixel art  (Read 19496 times)

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Re: parody pixel art

Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:02 pm
I don't think it's a "huge mistake" as Soup makes it out to be, though. :huh: Snake is now credited on the Digg entry, which is linked to in the joystiq entry. I believe I can undigg the article if you want, although that's up to snake. Most people will be linking back to the photobucket link, so snake can always slap a signature on the image, a website, a link to Pixelation, or even take the pic down (or retitle the link) so it dies. I don't see how anything bad could come of it being out there, although (again) I apologize for not having asked snake's permission first.
It did seem slightly bigger problem , but my apoligiez.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 12:28:26 pm
Apologies to snake. I should have suggested that he Digg the piece instead of doing it myself, but Digg has always been about just throwing interesting articles and pieces into the net so I guess it didn't occur to me. I definitely should have credited him in the posting at the very least. >:( I just figured it was a fantastic piece that a few people on Digg outside of the pixelling circles would get a kick out of. I didn't think it would receive this much attention, or get converted into ass formats and spread to other sites.

I don't think it's a "huge mistake" as Soup makes it out to be, though. :huh: Snake is now credited on the Digg entry, which is linked to in the joystiq entry. I believe I can undigg the article if you want, although that's up to snake. Most people will be linking back to the photobucket link, so snake can always slap a signature on the image, a website, a link to Pixelation, or even take the pic down (or retitle the link) so it dies. I don't see how anything bad could come of it being out there, although (again) I apologize for not having asked snake's permission first.

In the spirit of the season, I'd be willing to buy snake a website and hosting for a year to make it up to him (assuming he doesn't already have a dot-com somewhere). Pixel work as stellar as yours needs a permanent home, and (though I'm not sure what your aspirations are) having a website with samples and a resume' is key to getting regular work in the games industry. And collecting your work all on one site is also an excellent way to prove ownership of artwork, since directories timestamp the date each piece was uploaded. If interested, pm me a list of domain names (in order of preference) and I'll set it up for you.

I don't think this a huge problem, but I am concerned about what this might mean for the rest of my pictures. Because pixel art is so easy to steal, I've taken a lot of precautions to avoid it, so things like this are always a bit tricky. I undersand you just wanted to share, so no harm done. Credits have allready been made, so I don't think there's anything to worry about. I'm just glad I was informed and didn't just stumble across this.

I appreciate for your offer, but I don't want to take avantage of the situation. I can always find a way to get a website online, so don't worry about it. I have one planned, but I still need to tweak a few things, so it would probably be a while before I would start looking for a host anyway.  ;)

By the way, the WIP's are still on their way.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 31, 2006, 11:54:00 pm
Snake: I do not think you have to be overly worried about people stealing your work and claiming it as theirs, there should be plenty of people in the pixel community who can verify that they are, in fact, yours. People stealing the work of others will get caught eventually.

But yes, an online portfolio to showcase your work would help you as it's not as easy to get away with theft then.

As for the Shadow of the Katamari piece, it's stellar.. whoever submitted it as a jpeg should me ashamed of him/her-self though.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 01:17:57 am
ROTFL XDDDDD

OMG that is just genius. sums up the year pretty well dont it? who was the lucky bastard to be gifted with it?

I'll let this thread roll

let it roll like a katamari of asskissing!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:20:35 am by Conceit »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 10:08:58 pm
I was finally able to get a hold of something to animate on, so here is the WIP animation as promised:

Don't know if theres much to explain that the shots don't show themselves. I start with some rough lineart, put on some base colours and then put on general lighting. I used the bottom colossi to experiment on and most of the palette came from there. The rest is mostly detail work. As I've mentioned before, the laptop mouse was pretty jaggy, so there was only so much I could do for detail. This in part explains why the fur is so rough. It was originally intended to be on a transparent background, but I figured I might as well go the extra mile as I had some time left. It added some extra colours since the original palette didn't fit the sky very well.

I just viewed the thing on something other than the laptop and noticed that it looks very brown. To me it looks more gray, so I'm not quite sure how the result is before I can check it more carefully. While I'm at it, I just want to mention that with all the credit I've been getting for it, I feel like an ass when taking the attention away from what all the others at the board did. I hope you can understand that. In any case, I hope the animation comes to some use, or at least spike general interest.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 12:07:38 am
PWNAGE!!!
I hope that makes you very uncomfortable =)

I wouldnt worry about the pallete, it's completly coherent with the SOTC style

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: January 11, 2007, 09:35:54 am
I feel like an ass when taking the attention away from what all the others at the board did.

I don't think you should worry about it. I believe (and hope) people here don't feel like they're in competition with other members, and more imprtantly, not in the Secret Santa. If anything, I think people will draw inspiration from it, or at the very least enjoy it. I know I feel like doing something more ambitious than usual now.

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:38 am
I feel like an ass when taking the attention away from what all the others at the board did.

I don't think you should worry about it. I believe (and hope) people here don't feel like they're in competition with other members, and more imprtantly, not in the Secret Santa. If anything, I think people will draw inspiration from it, or at the very least enjoy it. I know I feel like doing something more ambitious than usual now.

Hell yeah, this piece really makes me want to work a lot bigger than usually, it's just so grand and awesome.

Offline Conexion

• Pixel Penguin
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 05:51:42 pm
I was finally able to get a hold of something to animate on, so here is the WIP animation as promised:

Don't know if theres much to explain that the shots don't show themselves. I start with some rough lineart, put on some base colours and then put on general lighting. I used the bottom colossi to experiment on and most of the palette came from there. The rest is mostly detail work. As I've mentioned before, the laptop mouse was pretty jaggy, so there was only so much I could do for detail. This in part explains why the fur is so rough. It was originally intended to be on a transparent background, but I figured I might as well go the extra mile as I had some time left. It added some extra colours since the original palette didn't fit the sky very well.

I just viewed the thing on something other than the laptop and noticed that it looks very brown. To me it looks more gray, so I'm not quite sure how the result is before I can check it more carefully. While I'm at it, I just want to mention that with all the credit I've been getting for it, I feel like an ass when taking the attention away from what all the others at the board did. I hope you can understand that. In any case, I hope the animation comes to some use, or at least spike general interest.

My only question is, where did you get the inspiration for this? I mean, it's an awesome piece... I've seen the little guy in the corner before but the colossus of a figure in the middle... was it something that you just pictured in your head, or was there any references? The Animation is very helpful as well so thank you for that!

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 08:30:46 pm
My only question is, where did you get the inspiration for this? I mean, it's an awesome piece... I've seen the little guy in the corner before but the colossus of a figure in the middle... was it something that you just pictured in your head, or was there any references? The Animation is very helpful as well so thank you for that!

I'm not Snake, but the references for this piece is obviously Katamari Damashii (for the little guy, the prince, who rolls up everything to a big ball) and Shadow of the Colossus, another PS2 game where you fight giant colossi.