AuthorTopic: Portrait WIP  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Macks

• View Profile

Portrait WIP

on: December 25, 2006, 12:02:49 am

I have about ten saves as I was working through this. If someone desires to see them.
I also have this reference image.
I think I made her a bit too wide, and my love for this pallete is quickly fading, but I also believe that it's coming along fairly well.

What do you say? How and where can I improve this?

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait WIP

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 01:31:24 am
those eyes looks like they gona popp out  :-[
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 03:37:11 am
I would suggest dithering, seeing as how the transitions between shades is quite unsmooth.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 04:02:39 am
How and where can I improve this?

Well, for starters stop pixel-ing potential (actually, it probably is.) Myspace pictures. They have no artistic quality. what. so. ever.

Anyway... remove jaggies, reduce the colours and utilize some dithering?  Honestly it looks like the picture, only with reduced colours.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 04:07:47 am
dude, a pic is a pic.

In this case, especially, the image referenced was actually something an artist could learn from.

*foreshortening,
*perspective
*Exaggeration/realism

There is more than enough artistic quality.

If this were a different pose or perspective, perhaps your comment would hold more merit.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 07:41:54 am
You can dither between the shades you have, aa where needed and call this done for what it is. If then you'd desire a more challenging protrait, choose a reference image that isn't overexposed and blurry (killer combination) and yes, on a minor note, one whose composition wouldn't be limited by the arm's reach of the myspace-picture variety.

edit for likness on the lips and dither example on the side of the face.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 12:19:17 pm
Actually, I think you can do something nice with this...maybe you can turn it into a pseudo-gothic image, with bats and blood and stuff :P Either way, you should probably take refinement to the next level, aa-ing where needed, dithering and adding details. I made a small edit to exemplify this:

You should maybe try a more interesting pallete and make better usage of your colours. On your image, you seem to have a pallete for the eyes and another for the skin...notice how I tried to use colours from the skin on the eye and vice-versa. That helps unifying the image and usually gives better results. Try it!