AuthorTopic: Making large city: Fountain  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Squeez

• View Profile
    • Girl-skaters

Making large city: Fountain

on: January 11, 2007, 01:56:35 pm

This will be in the city I'm making. The city will have the greatest skatespots, because I love skateboarding.  :D
Well anyway I also decided to make an old part of the city. The fountain will be placed there. Any comments?

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: Making large city: Fountain

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:37:15 pm
First of all: good job :y: it looks really good
But maby you should make water fall in the fountain

Offline Squeez

• View Profile
    • Girl-skaters

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:50:31 pm
Hmm good point, you mean from the higher thing to the lower?

Offline Squeez

• View Profile
    • Girl-skaters

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:28:53 pm
Here is an small update
Also tried to make matching tiles. Not quite satisfied yet,1 it looks a little bit like wood..
2 And I don't want a medieval city :D

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:06:00 pm
Oooh... I like the waterfountain you made, Tentenn. It looks so nice and serene. I get a nice, cool, refreshing feel from it.  :)

The ground tiles look nice too. They don't look much like wood to me. I can see that they're earth tiles. Maybe a few cracks might help.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:01:38 pm
Hey Tentenn,

I really like this one but I think in regards to the wod, you should vary the colour palette a bit. I know we, as artists, often want to keep an overall them or hue in our pixelized pieces- but gray is not exactly the best choice. Gray is a nice hue but it can make things look boring our dead if overused; Perhaps a recolour or something to that effect would rectify the situation.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:23:32 pm
I think your biggest issue is your lack of shadows and light. There are no shadows on the sides whatsoever. You can add some on the fountain's side and under the bowl to create some more depth. You should also consider upping the contrast a notch. The lighter line you made to separate the top and the side of the fountains lower edge gives little indication of reflective light but looks more like painted colours. Try and find what light you want, what colour it should have and it's placement to the figure.

The way you made the moving water gives it little depth other than jagged lines. You could try and make the stream a more unified shape to show it off better as the lines now are not very visible. Water usually shows the shadows inside it when in motion or as droplets. By exaggerating this, you can use this to your advantage to show off the shape more. Another option is to make it more of a gushing spray.

Random examples:
http://www.trentadue.com/images/small%20fountain.jpg
http://www.santamariaparish.org/images/small-fountain.jpg

It's got a lot of potential, so I'm looking forward to what you can do with it.  :y:

Offline Squeez

• View Profile
    • Girl-skaters

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 08:34:19 pm
Thanks Snake, that will help a lot. I just made some new tiles, I like them more than the previous one. Next time I'll try to change the water and shade.
Here it is. (At least, to me, it doesnt look like wood yay :P)

I think this is a nice example how the old part should going to look like, (not exactly):
http://home.tiscali.be/chrisdecat/praagmarkt.jpg

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:49:05 pm
the overall shape was a little off.  you have not much contrast either.  you're texturing is nice, but the palette lets it down.

i started an edit on the base, but ill doubt ill be able to texture/finish it, so im just gonna post it here - it was mainly an edit of the shape and contrast anyway.

im no expert at isometric and perspectives, so i might be wrong about the shape....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:52:15 pm by Feron »