AuthorTopic: [WIP] some trees  (Read 3163 times)

Offline konix

• View Profile

[WIP] some trees

on: December 22, 2006, 04:47:51 pm
Drawing trees seems to be my number one weakness (especially the leaves). I've been working on this for the past two days, and while overall I'm fairly satisfied with how it has ended up so far, I know that there's still some room for improvement. I welcome any crits.

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] some trees

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:01:08 pm
Not bad for a #1 weakness ;D

I'm clueless when it comes to tree, but I have a single hesitant suggestion -- would it help if some of the branches showed through?

Also, maybe I am wrong about this because I have never studied trees at all, but I always thought the trunk grows more or less vertically up to the top of the tree, eventually narrowing to the size of a branch but not just stopping. On your tree, the stump kind of stops, and then all the branches branch out like flower petals. I guess it's just a really quick transition from thick to thin, and I am not sure if trees work that way.

But maybe I am giving you nonsense advice.  :crazy: I think it looks great overall!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 05:58:29 pm
man, i wish i was this bad at trees.
checkworths crit is valid, but only if the one without leaves is a final version as well. it seemed to me you just used it to help you when you did the leaves.

Offline konix

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 09:26:41 pm
Quote from: Ryumaru
checkworths crit is valid, but only if the one without leaves is a final version as well. it seemed to me you just used it to help you when you did the leaves.
yeah, that was the idea at first, but then I just decided to keep the leafless tree for whatever reason.

Quote from: Checkworth
Also, maybe I am wrong about this because I have never studied trees at all, but I always thought the trunk grows more or less vertically up to the top of the tree, eventually narrowing to the size of a branch but not just stopping. On your tree, the stump kind of stops, and then all the branches branch out like flower petals. I guess it's just a really quick transition from thick to thin, and I am not sure if trees work that way.
from what I've seen of leafless trees, the stump never grows straight to the top, but rather splits up into a few main branches somewhere around the halfway point. That's basically what I was going for with my tree, but I can see how it looks a little strange; I'll try fixing it up.

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 03:01:52 am
I think the version with leaves is ace. I can't find even an opportunity for nitpicking there. But I have to agree about the leafless one; trees usually branch into two or three after the top of the trunk (I've seen four happen only once and it looked so wild it wouldn't make a good subject for art unless that's a focus of the peice), then each of these limbs branches out several times and ends in twigs, the most numerous structure. I notice that you don't seem to have enough of these twigs or splits in general; the branches just shrink like an animal's tail instead of decreasing in size when splitting as is shown in real trees.

Another thing: what would make a tree lose all its leaves but leave nice green grass intact below? Either kill the grass or cover some of it in fallen leaves for some more realism.