AuthorTopic: my first mock-up  (Read 3702 times)

Offline trandon

• View Profile

my first mock-up

on: December 16, 2006, 07:20:14 pm
This is my first try at a mock up 16*16 (all made in MS Paint)

Please tell me how to improve

added some rpg heads
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 08:45:23 pm by trandon »

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Re: my first mock-up

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:31:08 pm
The first thing I notice is the huge amount of saturation everywhere. Change your palette to decrease saturation overall. Also, add some shifting of hues towards blue as you move towards the shadow tones. Increase the contrast between shades of the same color; right now everything looks very flat and 2D.

Your character is a rather boring concept. Consider sketching some stuff on paper or just doodling for ideas. Also, there are conflicting lightsources here. The grass and dirt it lit from above-right, as is the character, but the flowers are pillowshaded, the rocks are lit from the top-left, and the purple thing (define it better so the player can tell what it is) is lit from below.

Offline trandon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 08:45:02 pm
thanks,
I`ll try to improve the things that you pointed out

added the spritesheet for the green sprite thing (not finished)

Offline typeoh

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:13:06 pm
I agree about the saturation, but I also think that some things (eg your main sprite and the petals on the leftmost flower) blend in too much with your background
I would probably add some darker outlines on at least the shadowed parts, just to create some kind of border. Also, the sky could use some variation from the one blue, maybe some kind of gradient would be nice.

I also had a hard time figuring out what the things in the bottom picture were until i zoomed in.
What's funny is that when i first saw them, they looked like some girl, with the wings (i think thats what they are) being the hair...

Finally, i think that the rocks look too flat. Maybe that can be fixed once you determine exactly where the lightsource is.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 06:25:07 am
So this topic is a little old, sorry to those of you who don't want me to rehash older posts but I thought I could help you out a bit here with your sprites.

First the mockup, I think you have a good start here. The style is pretty simple and not too overwhelming. I think your dirt/rock tile works pretty nicely. It seems a bit tiled, and by that I mean you can visibly spot it fairly easily but because your contrast is low it doesn't hit you like a freight train.

The character isn't overly interesting but I think that is ok. Kind of simple but it has it's appeal.

I would really suggest playing around with colors on your sprites to give it more vibrancy. General rule of thumb is go towards blue a bit more in the shadows and yellow (opposite of blue) in the highlights.

Anyhow here is my edit of your RPG heads because I liked the design just thought they needed some polishing up. This might give you some ideas.

Offline trandon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 12:07:18 am
wow I love your edit on the sprite heads  :y:  (I wish that I was so great)

I am still working on a new character and trying to get the shading right
I will post an update, soon  :)