AuthorTopic: Nosferatu  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Miggie

• View Profile

Nosferatu

on: September 22, 2005, 04:21:22 pm

Slowly worked during a boring day at work, tried to practice a bit of shading... 12 colors.
First I usually block out the entire shape in black and then just add lighter shades on top.
I find that this method helps me visualize the final piece better (instead of starting from lineart) and go faster to the fun part that is coloring.

Enjoy :)

+ latest with modifications
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 06:12:36 pm by Miggie »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Nosferatu

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 05:20:35 pm
Sweet.
It looks very Spawny. The only few things I noticed were;
1. the back of his collar is very straight; it has no curvature showing depth.
2. the lower part of the bg looks very barren and fleh. Too empty.
3. and, lastly, (his) right thumb looks broken.
Overall, very nice.

Oh, I assumed you wanted crits?

Offline Miggie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:23:26 pm
Thanks for the pointers Xion.

I think I'll rework the collar and thumb part a bit. Also now that I look at it, it might benefit from a bit of extra room above the head.
I didn't want to clutter the bg too much, keep it clean and simple.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:01:37 pm
As mentioned the collar looks funky and the moon is very flat, but overall though I like this a lot. You're much better than your avatar lets on.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 09:49:11 am
David your avatar isn’t there just to show the world what you can do.  It is there to represent you.   Example: Look at Helm; if you were new to these forums you wouldn’t think much of him other than that he’s above average.  Yet I know as well as most people know on these forums that by god he can pixel!  Same with Even,  (Stairwayto) he uses a simple moving pixeled gradient.  Yet we all know that his first word was “Pixel.”  Don’t base your opinions of someone on their avatar.  Take me for example, I used a flashy buggy 7 color pixel stick fig animation; simply because that was the smallest thing that I spent a long time on.  All things I spend long times on wouldn’t fit as avatars…

As for the art I love it other than the collar like everyone else said.  The moon I think is fine.  Thin odd shapped objects always look weird as pixels...
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:53:19 am
I think this is excellent!

I love how you've used black to really make it look dark and mysterious. He's looking very evil.
I think your methods of pixelling are very interesting. And it looks quite cartoony, but at the same time serious/realistic. I think mainly it's his coat's shading that's quite cartoony.

But, I think it's very good.
The only thing I would improve is perhaps another darker shade to add just some more depth in it, and some parts look like they need a little more anti-aliasing.

Anyway, great job ;D

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 10:35:05 pm
i also use a similar method.  an enhancement to the method of sketching you are using is to not use black and white, but to use colors closer to the final colors you hope for.  this image is great, but consider the light sources, and how the elements of the image merge together.  if the moon is not shining on the character or the environment, then only half the possible effect is achieved.  In this composition, with a large moon like this, i would expect a sihouette with a glowing outline.  This is actually lit well for a moon, but not from behind.  Also keep in mind the effect the night and the available light has on the colors in your image.

Offline Miggie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 06:26:31 pm
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

I had some time today so I worked the pic a bit further with the lightsource position in mind and with the though that he's sort of emerging from somewhere.
The wall behind the character still needs some work and the added shade in the coat is a bit off but have to leave something for the future right? :)

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 12:59:22 am
Wow! The latest version absolutely kicks ass. A tad less cartoony and a little more depth, I really like this.
The 'emerging' effect looks, good, I think it has a bit more impact than the moon. A more powerful piece, certainly more darker.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 11:47:32 pm
the sleeve on the left (his right) might be coming up a bit high, if the material/fabric is stiff this may work, otherwise it may need to be redrawn draped over the arm as per the right arm (his left)