AuthorTopic: Knight, Assassin, Tiles and Test Animations.  (Read 6068 times)

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Knight, Assassin, Tiles and Test Animations.

on: December 21, 2006, 03:58:14 am
Alright so I know most people will be sick of new RPG game posts with characters and tiles but I've had these in the works for a little while so I figured I'd post to get some C&C.

The base sprite that the characters are going to be based off of.

The base sprite rotation with all 8 directions.
I'd definitely like some input on this and help with it if anyone sees fit. Specific things I'm not fully happy with would be the back view especially.

The base sprite run (south)
Also like some input on this. As of now it's 4 frames but I don't have limitations just don't see the need for having too many more frames. Specific things I'm not happy with or sure of would be how the leg that goes behind looks.

The two heroes I've made so far. One's like a knight and the other would be a thief/assassin.
I realize it's not normal to have a lightly colored assassin but I thought it was refreshing even if not entirely practical.

Lastly we have the stealth system test animation. Image also shows the very small amount of tiles I have done so far.
Just showing my idea for how the stealth would look. I'm thinking maybe it would be better to leave a little outline of the character when he's in "stealth".

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Knight, Assassin, Tiles and Test Animations.

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 04:01:46 am
very oldschool and refreshing to see. i dont really have any crits, the tiles look sexy. dont outline the stealth thing, just the highlights i think would look badass.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 07:17:38 am
wow, i like this!
there is an issue that i would like to point out with the characters feet when hes running.
It looks as if he is running on his heels. I would think that at such a perspective, the feet would be pointed downwards at some point, but they never apear to..

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 07:35:07 am
This is simply gorgeous! I love the assasin and the grass. I agree with Mr. Tierney regarding the walk animation.
lovely though.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 08:07:49 am
Really beautiful. The SE and SW directions of your base sprite are a little weird - he looks chubby, and his head isn't really turned. But I think they depend a lot on how you actually use them in your game (assuming and hoping that you're making a game with these).

I can't wait to see more. Please, show more.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:08:08 am
wow!  great stealth effect i love it.  the grass tile to me looks a little bit like a flat surface with a few really, really fat blades of grass sticking up here and there.  I don't really have any advice or suggestions right now though...ditto on the walk crit, though i would like to point out that your arm movements are very natural and good!

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:23:58 pm
Good looking stuff here.

If I am to point anything out here, it's the running animation. To me, it looks like he's running backwards. Having zoomed in on it, the legs appear to spend more time moving towards the front than they do from front to back, the point when they're touching the ground. Maybe if you reversed this it would look more natural. I'm not able to do a test for myself at the moment.

The stealth effect looks great. I don't think an outline is necessary if the visible spots are animated. Anything that moves in a game always stands out. You might want to consider and idle animation in that case though.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 09:00:07 pm
Hey thar! great sprites, they look reaaaallly good. i'd love to play with them in game. :) I did a quick edit of your run animation.  one rule i follow is to never use the idle stance frame as a frame in the run animation, it will always make it look awkward.

Anyway, here is my edit, take away from it what you will. (it is a bit fast, but whatever.)

EDIT: and another thing: when you have just 4 frames for a run/walk cycle, it can easily be read the wrong way since the animation looks like it could either be running forward or backward.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:17:04 pm by Stwelin »

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 12:39:50 am
Alright thanks all for the replies. I will try to get around to update some of the sprites (run and spin specifically). Then probably finish the direction sprites for the specific characters and maybe some tiles.

Ryumaru: Thank you, I think I will keep the stealth like that but add an idle sprite as snake suggested.

Alex Hanson-White: Very good point Alex, I'm going to take a look at everyone's suggestions and Stwelin's edit when updating my run sprite.

gliding: Appreciate it. I'll be working on that.

Akzidenz: Yea I really wasn't sure how to go about doing those 3/4 directions or whatever. Never done them before so I'm not fully satisfied with the results. Maybe I'll figure it out or someone could help me out a little. We'll see what I can do.

AdamAtomic: I tried a bunch of different grass tiles out and this is kind of what I decided on. I don't want the grass to pop too much because I've seen a lot of really bright and contrasted grass tiles and they just kill my eyes. I wanted something more subtle that looks like grass but doesn't cause retinal damage.

snake: Yea I see what you mean about that. I think with Stwelin's edit and a little bit of tweaking I should be able to make it look more like a forward run, though I personally didn't see it as backwards (plus in game it'd be actually moving forward). I guess I stared at it too long to see it a different way.

Stwelin: Thanks a lot! Definitely a nice edit which I will be keeping in mind when I'm working on the update. I appreciate you taking the time to show me with an edit.  :y:

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 02:43:52 am
I think the tiles are very pretty. I don't like the characters as much though, mostly because they remind me of the RPG sprite tutorial on SpriteArt, like, a lot. Also, the bodies, when facing down, look like they're facing southwest. The costume designs on the characters are very nice, you managed to fit in a nice amount of detail without it looking cluttered. So good job on that.