AuthorTopic: -= E M P E R O R =- [21 colors]  (Read 12463 times)

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

-= E M P E R O R =- [21 colors]

on: December 20, 2006, 10:37:36 pm
Here is my new pixel.. call it EMPEROR ! hehe.. post anything :)

Used 21 colors on the last update..

UPDATE

Here a new version, added more AA, dithering.. and made it more like metal.. is it anything better?

Thanx, anyway, I think Im done, hes not acctually suposed to be rambo ^^ but yeh here it is..
I also changed the palette at my friends home ;)

Overall, Im proud of it, this is my third piece that I acctually made in this style, and I mean less colors, AA and dither.

Thanx everyone for helping, u helped me a lot.

Enjoy, BJ
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:33:27 am by Senad »
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Re: -= E M P E R O R =- [21 colors]

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:44:12 pm
Is there a reference pic?

The shading and color seem fairly sloppy, especially the chest (it's a little pillowshaded).

To be honest, it looks almost like you colored a B&W photo in Photoshop and then had it auto-index the image to 21 colors. I'm not saying you did that, but it looks similar to the results I'd imagine one could get with that method. The palette is also pretty bland.

I think the lines are fine - but try working with some new shading and a new palette. And try to be a little more precise about where you're placing your pixels, a lot of them seem haphazard, like it's your first run-through and you're using a wacom tablet.

:y:
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 10:55:56 pm
To be honest, it looks almost like you colored a B&W photo in Photoshop and then had it auto-index the image to 21 colors. I'm not saying you did that, but it looks similar to the results I'd imagine one could get with that method. The palette is also pretty bland.

i disagree.  the results from a photoshop would be a lot worse.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 10:56:40 pm
umm.. I dont use anything like you said, but first I made the character with 5-10 colors in paint.. then I made palette in paint shop pro, found faster colors becouse they looked pretty regular, then I started simple shading the person and anti-aliasing in ms paint.. I still have a lot to do, I planned doing some dithering too if I catch the time, and no, I didnt used the reference. His position may look a bit wierd, but I tried my best I think..

What do you think, should I dither it ? or make the shadings form not so round?

Thanx, BJ
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: -= E M P E R O R =- [20 colors]

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:31:37 am
I like the style of the peice, the shading does not flow very smoothly, but I like it none the less, and as I have learned, you usually dont dither meatl, to keep its shiney ness..unless it isent metal :-[
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 12:37:29 am
The dithering in the chest area helps a lot. The head still looks a little rough, a little stripey. You could dither the darker blue in the head area, or you could try to adjust the palette a little so that there's not as much contrast.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:37:37 am
Updated version..

thanx, yeah I heard ppl dont dither metal.. anyway I tried here and I like the result, do you? :P

EDIT: thanx akz :D, ill do it right away :)

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 12:41:07 am
uhhh, maybe add lighter highlight tones?

opps.. akz sorta already said that :-[
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:59:32 am by Malor »
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 01:50:18 am
What strikes me as odd is the extremely dark shadow area in the upper middle of the chest. This, along with the dark shadow under his left (pectoral?) muscle makes it look like he's a woman and serves only to confuse the viewer. I like his right arm's dithering, though. Very nice there. Unfortunately, as you transition into the hand on that arm, you don't increase size and his hand looks like it was mutilated or is a bith defect.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 07:38:34 am
What strikes me as odd is the extremely dark shadow area in the upper middle of the chest. This, along with the dark shadow under his left (pectoral?) muscle makes it look like he's a woman and serves only to confuse the viewer. I like his right arm's dithering, though. Very nice there. Unfortunately, as you transition into the hand on that arm, you don't increase size and his hand looks like it was mutilated or is a bith defect.

I disagree with that slightly because anatomy tells us that a woman's breasts are built much differently than that; however, I think it still doesn't look right. It almost has the semblance of blue alien skin: more-so than armor.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 07:51:28 am
I disagree with that slightly because anatomy tells us that a woman's breasts are built much differently than that; however, I think it still doesn't look right. It almost has the semblance of blue alien skin: more-so than armor.

Yes I know :P.. I will fix that today :), also his left arm (well on left side of the pic) doesnt look that HARD as the other one.. I mean not so manly, and I mean the bottom part, I will fix ;) and also the dark cicle area on his chest ;).. some more AA maybe.. thanx very much, here is what I made before I saw u writing all that :D

Emperor With No Face..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:53:16 am by Senad »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 11:56:24 am
Besides dithering, which is rather out of place on metal, the armour is further unrecognizable due to the fact that it fits him like a shirt. Armour of the shoulder and arm have to be entirely different plates from the torso, because otherwise the body would be stuck in one position.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 12:04:38 pm
I'm surprised you didn't use a reference, because once again you've made a pretty realistic looking piece.I like the fact that his face is in
shadow. But like you said, his right hand and arm need to be made larger. I that a red sheathe on his sword? Does it look better unsheathed?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:47 pm
Thank you, I made a new version that looks like metal, btw that sword is dragon long sword, ill upload the new version...

Here a new version, added more AA, dithering.. and made it more like metal.. is it anything better?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:31:45 pm by Senad »

Offline Aeon Vision

• Shake of the dust...Arise!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 12:34:36 pm
Senad, I don't think they would know what a dragon longsword is :-P.
Here is a picture of a dragon longsword for those who don't know. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of a character wielding the weapon.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 12:35:13 pm
His "RIGHT" arm needs to be bigger. Looks like skinny strong person.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 12:38:10 pm
ummm.. can u please tell me which arm do you mean, I know you said RIGHT but I mean left SIDE of the picture or right side.. some people may say right hand but mean like its on the right side..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:42:10 pm by Senad »

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 12:43:02 pm
HIs right and his left arm looks like he broke into himself so put his left arm more out.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 12:50:37 pm
Okey I will try something, but dont forget its like a spotlight up there, and just those shades dont allow you to see the whole arm, zoom in and check where the outlines are, problem may also maybe be becouse I have 100% brightness on my screen and you maybe dont.. but I will try something ;)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 01:32:21 pm
His right arm is too small. I tried fixing it but it still may bea bit smallish. I also made it look more like he had a wrist.

You can ignore the other changes i was just stuffing around. I googled dragon sword and was disappointed to find it wasn't some cool japanese ancient weapon but something to do with runescape (+2 attack, -5 hp woo).
So i changed it to an awasome japanese sword type thing but put a dragon in the backgound to give the idea of a sword with a dragon
spirit inside it - dragon longsword.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 08:24:42 pm
His right arm is too small. I tried fixing it but it still may bea bit smallish. I also made it look more like he had a wrist.

You can ignore the other changes i was just stuffing around. I googled dragon sword and was disappointed to find it wasn't some cool japanese ancient weapon but something to do with runescape (+2 attack, -5 hp woo).
So i changed it to an awasome japanese sword type thing but put a dragon in the backgound to give the idea of a sword with a dragon

is that trogdor? ;D

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 11:18:44 pm

thats a very nice edit, but I think you are missing the point..

Ill see what I can do anyway ;) thanks very much

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:44:47 pm
I probably am missing the point. Like I said, all you need to pay attention to is what i did to his right wrist.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 11:47:02 pm
I probably am missing the point. Like I said, all you need to pay attention to is what i did to his right wrist.

oh alright :P didnt really knew what wrist was sorry :)

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 12:41:42 am
I also like how sharprm took off a lot of the dithering in making the arm bigger. It looks better with less dithering. (Dithering makes the surface look rough: not so good for skin.)

Also, in your version I find the focus to be rather weak, while sharprm makes the focus of the piece brutally obvious and gives it a lot of force. The man being in such a violent pose to start with, I think a strong focus would convey your theme better in the long run. Just something to consider. (Not necessarily exactly what he did, but somehow bring out a focal point...)

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 02:22:59 am
Thanx, anyway, I think Im done, hes not acctually suposed to be rambo ^^ but yeh here it is..
I also changed the palette at my friends home ;)

Overall, Im proud of it, this is my third piece that I acctually made in this style, and I mean less colors, AA and dither.

Thanx everyone for helping, u helped me a lot.

Feel free to comment :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:34:45 am by Senad »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 08:21:30 am
You added more of a wrist so that is good. I like the outside frilly bits. I'm not too keen on the color ramps below the 21 but i guess
if you want to show people what kind of pallete you used then thats probably the best way to do it. Maybe you could put it down the
bottom though. I like how you reshaped the sword. Something that was cool about the last pallete was that it looked like a guy waiting
in a dark place going to wack someone which you lost in this version but thats okay.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 12:47:56 am
You added more of a wrist so that is good. I like the outside frilly bits. I'm not too keen on the color ramps below the 21 but i guess
if you want to show people what kind of pallete you used then thats probably the best way to do it. Maybe you could put it down the
bottom though. I like how you reshaped the sword. Something that was cool about the last pallete was that it looked like a guy waiting
in a dark place going to wack someone which you lost in this version but thats okay.

thank you sharp :)