AuthorTopic: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th  (Read 26932 times)

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Re: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th

Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 02:23:42 am
im pretty sure its mostly the fact that he stole the game, and then criticized it in such a way.
alexander

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #31 on: August 19, 2005, 02:28:38 am
im pretty sure its mostly the fact that he stole the game, and then criticized it in such a way.
So if I lied and said I bought it, the post would be OK?  :P I'd be glad to edit my previous posts if it will satisfy your sense of moral justice.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 03:20:02 am
Even if janus didn't critique the art Adam was obviously very involved in the development of the game, and I'd assume cares about how its viewed overall.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #33 on: August 19, 2005, 04:20:10 am
Janus is smug and rude. I would never go into a thread regarding something you guys had worked on and trash it so openly. I would never ever say anything demeaning to another artist in a public forum and I would certainly never do that if I was moderating the place. If Janus represents the mentality of this forum, and you guys are fine with his comments, then it's just one more clue that I'm losing touch with the current hobby pixelling scene. I don't know why I keep coming back to a forum that drives me batty about once a year.

- Adam

Offline janus

• spiders
    • antumbral
    • View Profile
    • luminance

Reply #34 on: August 19, 2005, 04:27:43 am
Janus is smug and rude. I would never go into a thread regarding something you guys had worked on and trash it so openly. I would never ever say anything demeaning to another artist in a public forum and I would certainly never do that if I was moderating the place. If Janus represents the mentality of this forum, and you guys are fine with his comments, then it's just one more clue that I'm losing touch with the current hobby pixelling scene. I don't know why I keep coming back to a forum that drives me batty about once a year.

- Adam
Saying the game isn't fun is trashing it? I didn't even say anything about the parts you worked on. I'm so sorry for actually telling you what I thought about the game. Next time I'll lie.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 19, 2005, 04:35:26 am
Enough of this. If Janus can't be honest about the game, then where are we going to set the bar?? I wish Janus was more of a pixeler, that way his review could have contained some critique of the artwork, but I can't fault him for not doing that because he's not really a pixeler. If a professional review site rates it badly, will you send a letter to complain about the reviewer's lack of tact Sals? Personally, I don't buy games based on reviews. It's like making music purchases based on who fares well in the MTV awards. Where are we going to end up here?? Dragonmax did a number of barbie style games, but he doesn't  expect us to worship the games he did just because he was a member... and he'd prefer we not bring them up I think.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #36 on: August 19, 2005, 04:37:53 am
You have no tact, Janus. And you can't get mad at people who have no tact, because they don't know better. I guess you fit in swell at Pixelation. Not to take shots, but every time there's a major issue at the forum, the moderators have never failed to act like children pretending to be adults. My focus has always been honign game art with the aspiration of going pro, and I know this is not the focus of Pixelation so I apologize for pushing the issue so many times. This place really just isn't for me anymore. And most of the artists I really admired left long ago anyway. Enjoy your forum, guys.

Enough of this. If Janus can't be honest about the game, then where are we going to set the bar?? I wish Janus was more of a pixeler, that way his review could have contained some critique of the artwork, but I can't fault him for not doing that because he's not really a pixeler. If a professional review site rates it badly, will you send a letter to complain about the reviewer's lack of tact Sals? Personally, I don't buy games based on reviews. It's like making music purchases based on who fares well in the MTV awards. Where are we going to end up here?? Dragonmax did a number of barbie style games, but he doesn't  expect us to worship the games he did just because he was a member... and he'd prefer we not bring them up I think.

Go make a rant about it and post it in your sig, Pep. See ya!

- Adam

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 19, 2005, 05:17:00 am
First,
Quote from: AdamTierney
Go make a rant about it and post it in your sig, Pep. See ya!
bad form.

Second, sir, the impression many members here (including myself) have of you is of a seasoned freelance pixeler who is used to unsolicited criticism.  Your reaction to Janus' review is very surprising to me as it shows a level of immaturity I honestly thought you were above.  I get the impression due to your standing in this community you expected the same hollow, substanceless praise that we as members with a concern for the quality of posts here are trying to eliminate. Not only that, but when a single post goes against those expectations, you attempt to discredit their opinion as well as the entire forum as being a mere hobbyist's refuge, even when it was admittedly your own stepping stone? You went from insulting a single mod, to insulting all the mods, to insulting the entire forum, all in a few short replies.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #38 on: August 19, 2005, 05:41:02 am
wow, i've always liked sals, especially his styles, and i think everyone needs to kiss and make up, because i hate seeing people get run off because everyones ego's are too big.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #39 on: August 19, 2005, 06:10:45 am
Second, sir, the impression many members here (including myself) have of you is of a seasoned freelance pixeler who is used to unsolicited criticism.  Your reaction to Janus' review is very surprising to me as it shows a level of immaturity I honestly thought you were above.  I get the impression due to your standing in this community you expected the same hollow, substanceless praise that we as members with a concern for the quality of posts here are trying to eliminate. Not only that, but when a single post goes against those expectations, you attempt to discredit their opinion as well as the entire forum as being a mere hobbyist's refuge, even when it was admittedly your own stepping stone? You went from insulting a single mod, to insulting all the mods, to insulting the entire forum, all in a few short replies.

Issues between me and this forum go back a long way. This is just a culmination of the frustration I've felt here for a few years now, stemming from the same reasons most everyone I knew here left long ago. It's not about praise. I've never expected or asked for praise. I made this thread because I was incredibly proud of the work of Gustav, Ben and Josh. Janus came in and gave what I felt was a curt critique that wasn't necessary in a forum like this. Do I write places that review my games poorly? Of course not. They're reviewers. But I also never ever make critiques in a forum like Pixelation that could be taken poorly. Pixelation is a forum for growing and development, and dropping by to say a game someone worked on is awful has absolutely no merit. I see it not as a personal attack, but a black mark on a celebratory thread for three pixellers I hold in the very highest regard. He's not commenting on poor art, but his post added nothing and took a shot at something the four of us worked very hard on. That was unecessary. I've never done that, and if it was done to someone else I would've called foul on it immediately.

As for Pep, whatever. I realize I'm going out on a low note, but I think he's a tremendous pixeller who has a completely schewed perspective on game art and a sour attitude. A cheap shot at him is childish on my part but this is my last thread on Pixelation so I felt like venting. To the rest of you, and to him I suppose, good luck, draw what you love and know that you can accomplish anything.

- Adam
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 06:15:56 am by AdamTierney »