AuthorTopic: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th  (Read 26934 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: "Sigma Star Saga" is out August 16th

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 10:04:00 pm
oooh, nice. i think i will have to buy this.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 11:31:36 pm
holy crap! thats good news! I just recently applied for a pixel job for a mobile phone gaming company, but got denied.  they didn't like my portfolio (i dont think my portfolio shows my true pixeling ability...i'll have to change that).  so anyway, im really happy for you guys.  I wish i could be in that boat with ya.

that trailer looks way exciting.  looks like a mixture of megaman/rpgs/and a side scrolling shoot-em-up game.  I just wish i had a GBA so i could play it.

Watch out for a "mobile phone gaming company" in san francisco, which I cannot name, but they have a great system of getting through the legality of a contract and leading people on, basically they hire an artist for 6 months at a lowered pay in promise to pay alot more in 6 months, but every single artist gets laid off on the day of the 6th month with some bogus reason. They got 3 games published out of me, and a few from the guy before me, and who knows how many since then, but anyway, the moral is to really read your contract and don't believe anything they say that's not in it. sorry to get off the topic of this post, just watchin out for you potentials for the industry.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 05:16:37 am
Heh, better than my first job. They just flat out never paid me. And my second job the coder's dad died, so he understandably disappeared from the scene to deal with that. I didn't get a paycheck til project 3.

I wouldn't really be wary per se. Having a negative attitude in the game industry will usually kill your chances at succeeding. Stay positive! But then again, never do anything off contract unless you're ready to have done it for free. And never ever badmouth a company publicly. I like dogmeat's discretion. Feel free to inform all your friends about scams and shady devs as a warning, but never rant in a public forum about a dev by name. That'll get you a rep for having a bad attitude and airing your dirty laundry, which is also pretty much career suicide.

By the way, I just got hired. :) I've been freelancing on and off for almost 4 years, but I became a salary man last Tuesday officially by WayForward (my favorite handheld dev) as an animator/designer. Believe it or not it's my first non-freelance game art job ever. Joy! :)

- Adam

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 06:48:27 am
Heh, better than my first job. They just flat out never paid me.

Me too!
@darionmccoy

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 07:19:23 am
Adam - Didn't you post a whole article thing on one of the other boards before they went down about tips on making it into to the pixel market?  I'd like to see that again.  Not that I could get a job at my current skill level, but in a few years, who knows.  And congrats on getting hired!

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 04:02:23 pm

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 05:11:35 pm
If you're working over the internet, how would you "sign" an NDA agreement?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 05:19:19 pm by StairwaytoEvan »

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 06:44:09 pm
This is great news! I'll definitely be purchasing this game!
Nice to know GBA isn't dead yet!

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 06:54:35 pm
"If you're working over the internet, how would you "sign" an NDA agreement?"

The company will generally send you Word doc NDAs and contracts. The last page will have a space for you to sign. Print it out, sign, scan the last page and email it back to them.

- Adam

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 01:30:44 am
Woo, just ordered SSS off of Amazon! Probably not gonna receive it 'til the end of the month, though :'(