AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sapling  (Read 4457 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

[WIP] Sapling

on: December 20, 2006, 03:45:15 am
Obviously still very WIP, just rough blocked with tablet, no pixels yet.

Just want crits on pose/anatomy before I waste too many pixels on some crapiness, so if you see any major flaws let me know.

I'm not terribly happy the crossed legs, I've tweaked it quite a bit without much success.

Hands, beard, hair, etc., are meant to degenerate into roots/branches.

Reading Barker's Abarat at the moment, so probably more than a touch of Abaratian in this.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sapling

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:07:37 am
gona be awesome !! I can feel it.. is it portrait of yourself posing  :lol:??
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 12:34:30 pm
senad: No, I could get myself to sit still long enough to get the work lines down, so I modelled it on my pet imp.

Just started pixelling the face, been playing with colour selection a little. Probably change to more conventional colouring once I get bored with it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:38:51 pm by surt »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 03:21:27 pm
senad: No, I could get myself to sit still long enough to get the work lines down, so I modelled it on my pet imp.

Just started pixelling the face, been playing with colour selection a little. Probably change to more conventional colouring once I get bored with it.

I would have done that for my art, but my pt imp was mean and burned my house down :'(....anyways, looks very nice, and pretty origional, maybe not in idea, but definitly in excecution :), the other thing I see thats semi...weird are than hands, they look to....wiggly to be usefull hands..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 12:40:09 am
Finally got back to this. Still not really down to the pixelling yet, just tablet detailing.

2^4 - 3 colours.

Also experimenting with a background (a first time for everything) but I'm not really sure as it will probably be a bit too busy unless I can overcome my bigotry against bad bitcounts in order to add sufficient colours to wash it out.

Just a quick rough to test.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:30:43 am
Nice, but that cyan highlight really stands out, and to me, doesnt blend at all...I love the background
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:33:46 am
Looks good. For an outdoor scene, the subject looks terribly dark, although if that's a stylistic choice (like in Renaissance paintings) then fair dos. When it comes to shifting hues, you should have a think about doing so in context. For example, since he's sitting on a blue object, part of which is lit with sunlight, I'd think about mixing some blue into the shadow tone of his legs, arm and feet. Because the blue object is illuminated in the way that it is, you should treat it as another light source, albeit a weak one, but still strong enough to influence the tones of near by surfaces. In the same way, the blue sky can be considered as yet another light source, and in fact you've already done this with the leaves and clouds' shadow.

I really like the little tree hair and the idea itself. If you continue with the background I'd do something to distinguish it from the foreground, perhaps by making it lighter or my personal favourite: depth of field blur.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:41:08 am
The sapling right now is full of parts that scream "I'M HERE!!" all at once, making it rather hard to focus on and busy overall.
Also many of the colors you picked are a tad too dark/too light and do not blend well. The light sources seem rather random and there are highlights everywhere.
Unless it is a restriction you must follow, I wouldn't sacrifice legibility and picture quality for color count. (either that, or pick a better palette)
I guess just keep this in mind once you go pixelling it properly.