AuthorTopic: [WIP] Signature, involving Runescape.  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Aeon Vision

• Shake of the dust...Arise!
    • View Profile

[WIP] Signature, involving Runescape.

on: December 19, 2006, 05:12:35 pm

Did some hue shifting on the chain to,Can't decide iff its better.
Updated the hair to
This is kind of the same thing Nevad does, making pixelart based signatures involving Runescape. We post them on Runescape forums. (with alot of samples on it, else people rip it, sad eh?) And sell them for Runescape money.
Nevad and I sell pixels for around 5-20million runescape gp. He has done some competitions wich involves way more than that, but those people are just tó rich :-P.
Ofcourse eventually we can sell the runescape money for real money, wich ís against the rules, oh well...
( 1million Runescape money = 5 euro/ 6 dollar )

Alright, and now about the piece:
I would really like some constructive critism on this one, because there are still things wich annoy me and I don't know how to solve it correctly. (you may edit ofcourse, as long as you don't completely finish it, that way I have nothing to learn and can't do it myself without copy it)
I still need a backround to, any ideas?
Things that are bugging me:
The Chain
It doesn't look like a chain, also it needs a black symbol on it, havn't done that yet.
I've tried to add highlights, wich was really ugly.
The anotomy
I think there are some flauds in his arms, and i didn't put in all musles correctly. Sadly, I don't know were I went wrong.
His hands
Well mostly, his right hand (for us his left) It just doesn't look good, anotomy+coloring...
The legs
Can't find a way to texture them correctly. Maybe I should try harder :huh:.
Oh yea: I've tried to make a color pallete a bit like the Fad-Avatars. Did it out of my head though.

Aeon
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:09:43 pm by Aeon Vision »

Offline commodore

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Signature, involving Runescape.

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:02:09 pm
Lol@runescape signatures. I made some times ago (not pixel though).

It doesn't seem like light is coming from one place. I'd make his left arm (our right) darker and less highlighted so you could understand it's further.

Offline Aeon Vision

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:30:44 pm
Something like this? or even darker?

Offline commodore

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:56:15 pm
It's the same image :D.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 02:48:48 am
the head and it's angle doesn't do this justice imo.. Maybe its the hair being pillowshaded but its most likely personal taste that I dont think he should be just staring at the viewer..  :mean:
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Aeon Vision

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:47:37 am
commodore I just realized I updated the top version to, I really have no idea why  :-[.
Terley I see your point, I've just updated the hair... But won't be editting his head in a diff direction. I'm proud of his face  :).

Here's an updated version.
It's almost done now, really need to work on the legs though.

Idea's for the backround.... anyone?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:59:10 am by Aeon Vision »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 10:08:32 am

First of all, you're using way too many colors. 48 for this? It could be,realistically, 16. I made jasc paint shop pro limit it to 32 just so I could look at a sensible ramp.

Second, you're using straight ramps, single hue, this is my red ramp, this is my skin ramp, so on. Every color in pixel art, optimally, should be hand-picked to serve dual, even triple functions in a picture. I edged towards purples in flesh shadows, and yellows in highlights, which is the easier thing to learn to do for this edit.

Facial characteristics, especially in skewed viewpoints are a tough one, have to improvise. It's pretty clear to me you're working from some sort of base, photograph, whatever. Besides needing to supply this to us for reference (not nice to not mention) it's also probable your reference is messing with your art as well. Time to put it away, and try to interpret what pixels you've layed down with your own eyes. You'll soon find you've got a crooked nose, etc.

Offline Aeon Vision

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 10:27:21 am
Nice edit, and thanks alot :-).

One small thing: No, I haven't used any refference at all...
Well, iff you count myself standing infront of the mirror a couple of times i did use a refference, for its pose that is...

You've really toned down the color usement alot, although I don't like your edit on the cape, because it really needs the color I gave him. I'm not really trying to keep the colors down in this piece, I just want the best results I can get, and if that means alot of colors, so be it  :-[. Although... Your edit looks amazing, I'll try to work on the face...

Thats what I've made from it and I really learned alot from it, so thanks again!
Yours was refference...  Did pick the colors out myself.
41 colors now, but when I opened up Graphicsgale (free edition  :P) It counted 48 colors, so there are some flauds left.
After looking at yours again, I'm still not happy with it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:15:27 am by Aeon Vision »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:50:53 am
So you get 25 - 100 euros just for pixelling those avatar things? Can u make links so i can get in on this money? Plz? Or did you stuff up the exchange rate and you only get 1-4 euros.

Also his left hand looks a bit silly, maybe you need to move the bracelet back to make his hand the right length. Maybe make the lips
different (looks a bit like hers wearing lipstick to me) and make his hair more realistic (look at some reference pictures). I like the pose. Is his
shirt some sort of armour with scales. If so perhaps you should do some higlights on side of each scale.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Aeon Vision

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 12:08:35 pm
Yes the shirt is a Chain, so yes, with scales.
I've tried that, but it really doesn't look well  >:(.

I'll give you some links in pm, Iff I may say so, I think you're better of with freelance pixeling iff you're doing it for the money.
Its very handy to do these signatures If you play runescape. But it gives problems to sell it for real money, you can't imagine how much people try to scam you or rip your signature.
I can't post this on huge forums involving runescape without watermarks and anti-rip text.
Like 'text' same size as the signature on 10% added trough photoshop (people have to do this for me, cuz I don't have photoshop)
You can't see it but it prevents ripping.
Btw, it really is 5 euro. But it ís hard to sell it, bank account stuff, making sure not to get scammed, all stuff like that.

I'll pm you some links  ;)

p.s: no avatars, signatures, this is a rather small version :-P.
Plus, the grey part is going to be a backround, just haven't decided what it will be.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 02:03:40 pm by Aeon Vision »