AuthorTopic: user names...  (Read 36248 times)

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Re: user names...

Reply #90 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:41 am
Hmm... I'm not really sure. It just sort of came to me and I went with it. Sounds cool though. I used to go by the muffin man, but that's become stupid. I guess I've grown out of it really. Anyway, Zero's what I always go by now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 04:15:23 am by Zero »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #91 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:25 am
God this is kinda embarassing, but in high school i was like one of those skateboarder poseurs (among other things), and I wanted to start my own like skate "brand"...you know, cuz that's what skateboarding is all about right...soooo I tried to come up with the most ridiculous over-the-top kind of name, and settled on Hazardous Adam Atomic.  Cuz...cuz I was in high school?  I guess.  I've always been kind of obsessed with the sort of awe/tragedy/era of the atom bomb (duck and cover, bombshelters, etc), and obviously atom is a homophone for adam...

Anyways that was about 10 years ago, maybe 8 years.  It got shortened pretty quickly to Adam Atomic for online gaming and internet forums, excepting a short boondock saints-themed phase of counterstrike in 2001 or 2002 (a good friend was the other saint, and our third friend when he could join us was the duke...we were a force for justice :P  neonazis and bigots beware!).  Anyways I got pretty involved in the HL mod scene back in 2002 or 2003, and it seemed confusing to switch names as I moved into other communities.

I like to think that "Adam Atomic" has kind of shaped or at least affected me.  I was a pretty shy kid, very introverted and not very self-aware, and Adam Atomic always sounded...i dunno a bit big, kind of dynamic.  I am sometimes afraid that I'm not really living up to my fake internet name, and that motivates me.  Not so that I gain the sort of detached, worthless approval of people i've never met, but more I think that Adam Atomic is who I want to be...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #92 on: July 20, 2007, 04:05:25 am
You know, Adam, I've always thought your moniker was cool. And you certainly are right: it does sound big. I mean, it's hard to hear the word "atomic" and think of anything but a giant explosion or a nuclear power plant. Unless of course you think of atomic and think of atoms, which are inversely extremely tiny.

Adarias, your name sounds cool, too. Like some centuries-old European master painter. If you changed your name to Christie I'd have no choice but to think of you as a female henceforth :-\. Though the other unicorn name would be cool :D :P

I've been Xion (Night) for a long few years now, and I can't imagine changing it now. Not that I'd want to. My name is awesome.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #93 on: July 20, 2007, 04:20:58 am
I use 'tocky', with variant 'atoji' - I like to keep my names short, so theyt're easier to type, less likely to need abbreviation, easier to remember.

I also find yo're more likely to get your chosen name on larger forums and stuff if you avoid real words. I picked tocky because I like the sound of it, like a clock, and atoji because I liked the shape of the word, all curves and dotted letters. Plus it sounds foreign, and everyone knows that foreign equals mysterious, exotic. I've not been signing up to stuff with that name lately, mostly because it seems immature to use japanesey sounding names if you're not japanese.

It's probably for the best anyway, because of boys kissing, which is not really something I'd considered when I took the name. It really doesn't bother me that much, because nobody's ever even mentioned it, and if they did I could set them straight about it, but it's a complication I'll gladly avoid.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #94 on: July 20, 2007, 04:46:09 am
If you changed your name to Christie I'd have no choice but to...

...hit it.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #95 on: July 20, 2007, 12:10:07 pm
It's kind of funny how people keep reading my nick the wrong way, it's robot riot actually. I've had it since 8 or 9 years (before that, I used a different nick for Quake), and it was just a combination of words which I though sounded cool (plus I'm a big robot fan). Also, I used to spell it R0b0TR10T because of the binary thing there, which everyone thought was supposed to be part of the 1337-bandwagon.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Bacon and Eggs

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: July 20, 2007, 01:36:42 pm
I chose this name so that it would assist that nobody would take me seriously enough to take any snippy or sarcastic comment to heart.  It was designed to be silly.  No real mystery beyond that.  I've been using it for 8 years and going now... and it's stuck enough to follow me back into the real word.  After several years people are just warming up to calling me Bacon as naturally as my real name.  I'm warmed up enough to answer to it.  Then again, many of them are folks that I've met from the online world, so it's how they know me.

I've got no current pixels to show... yet. So sad.  :'(

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #97 on: July 20, 2007, 04:03:59 pm
heh, i can't help but read your nick as Robo Triot, no matter how many times you've mentioned that it's supposed to be Robot Riot.
As for AdamAtomic, it does feel quite powerful. It was especially so when you had the previous angry eye avatar. Thought you were some big muscular guy who beats up nerds. Now with the current avatar it has shifted to big muscular guy who is actually quite friendly and likes kids.

Also lol at Bacon. Very funny name if everyone uses it. Bonus points for silliness.

My surname is Hunziker, and when i was a kid others used to call me huz or huzzah, which eventually evolved into huZba. Capital Z cause Zs are cool. No exciting story for it....  :(

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #98 on: July 20, 2007, 09:15:46 pm
heh, i can't help but read your nick as Robo Triot, no matter how many times you've mentioned that it's supposed to be Robot Riot.
What the hell is a triot?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #99 on: July 20, 2007, 09:22:55 pm
What the hell is a triot?
A person who is weird in a good way, or a nice weirdo.