AuthorTopic: user names...  (Read 36249 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: user names...

Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 02:22:32 pm
Would I have turned out a significantly different person had I chosen Grignr or Urmom instead of Helm?

Well i know your fans would think of you slightly differently.. To be honest i'd probably respect you less with the gooblezogg names. Helm sounds quite powerful yet not ott i think.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 03:35:22 pm
my fans should seek somebody else to respect. I am but a minor servitor of the elder gods, with a goat fixation.

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 04:05:56 pm
I guess I'll add a boring story to the topic.

When I first started irc'ing in 96 or 97, I knew a guy who went by H3llSp4wn, and I thought 'man, numbers instead of letters, that's clever' (and I suppose at the time it sort of was), so I went by the nick Thi3f, which later became Tjuvas in places where Thi3f was taken, or not fitting, and then turned into Grapes, becuse uvas in spanish (Or something like it, I had a spanish speaking friend) means grapes. But when I got too well known, and wanted to be more anonymous, I used Colonel Mustard, and at the time, I didn't really connect the dots between Cluedo and Col. Mustard, it was something I noticed later ???

Merry christmas

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 05:07:09 pm
My name was chosen out of tact and logic.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 06:04:59 pm
Helm, one thing you've got going, is that the name fits you. You not only act somewhat like a Helm, but you definitely look like one who would bear such a name if it was an intentional design, like, in a book or something. Something short and... sturdy...

I do think your own username can affect you in long term (like how your looks can actually affect how you feel and act), especially if you start looking at how other people react to it. On a Swedish online community I still go by Magnetman (because my second email address ever was magnetman_@hotmail.com (not anymore though)), and occationally unknowing people would question me about it and I feel somewhat silly for having registered with the name of a video game character, yet I could do nothing about it. People do judge you by your name online. Looking at someone's name online is a bit like looking at their clothes in the real world. Except often people are forced to pick stupid names with lots of numbers after them...

Anyway. I really like Rox. It kinda affects me in real life rather than online nowdays, though, because the few people I know in real life nowdays, who also contact me online, occationally call me Rox to grab my attention. And Rox is hard to pronounce correctly in the middle of all this Swedish, so it always sounds silly. Even if someone manages to say it in a perfect-sounding English way, it still sounds wrong because it's suddenly another language.

Mmyes, I like typing.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: December 20, 2006, 08:12:08 pm
Heh, that's funny. I just posted a thread just like this on another forum. :lol:

Any hoo,  I my real name is Erik. Bob is just what my friends call me( for no apparent reason, mind you). I just think Bob is the greatest name in the world, cause it requires no real strain to say it, no matter what ethnicity. It just rolls beautifully off your tongue. The B.O.B. is just parodying the fact that I use thoughts or pauses at the end of each of my sentences...like that...and this...There is no real acronym as to what B.O.B. means. Although I'm really liking what the boyz at pixeljoint.com have chosen for it.(Beast Of Burden, but I'm leaning more towards their other suggestion, Big Old Booty)
If it weren't for The B.O.B., I would have chosen BuffaloBob, or just Blanco_pantera, which is my e-mail.(Yes, I know that blanco_pantera, white panther, is incorrect in the spanish language, but someone at yahoo already took pantera blanca, and pantera de blanca...bastards..)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 10:10:05 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 09:09:47 pm
My username is a contraction of the letters of my first, middle, and last name.  I've used it ever since i had access to the internet. (oh dial-up...)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 10:04:55 pm
I do think your own username can affect you in long term (like how your looks can actually affect how you feel and act), especially if you start looking at how other people react to it.

when i came to this forum i assumed, through combination of your name and avatar that you were a girl. :P
the demographics topic says otherwise however.  :o

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 10:35:36 pm
(Didn't I just do this? Meh. Encore I guess.)

No. My name does not come from the protagonist of Metal Gear Solid.

Megaman 3 is one of my all time favorite games.
I became part of a megaman forum a while back. Snakeman was my favorite character in the game (though I was considering Shadowman, glad I didn't though).
I was also drugged by the new EXE/battlenetwork games and put on .EXE at the end.

Snakeman.EXE ...

After a while people just started to call me Snake. I got known a pixler under that name, so I've kept the tag as my pixel alias.

I go by other names when I do other kinds of art. My other one is Imson, an anagram of my actual name. Snake is natural to me I guess as my own starts with an S. I sometimes catch myself responding to it when I hear someone saying it. Ah well.

Oh, and Rox. I would, at least, respect your second nick. After all, that was my third choice :P

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: December 21, 2006, 01:40:29 am
I had just finished reading the Belgariad and wanted to be the protagonist, Garion, but the name was taken on the forums I tried it on, so I used one of Garion's titles, Godslayer. I use it everywhere now for continuity. I'm not unhappy about it, but it could've been better. At least there are no numbers.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?