AuthorTopic: Testudine Shinobi *Update, 12/19/06*  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Testudine Shinobi *Update, 12/19/06*

on: December 18, 2006, 06:31:28 pm
I think I'm going to call the Tinman finished (for the moment, at least). Thanks again, guys for all the help on it.
So, onto new business:

Previous:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Nintur.PNG

Current:

Honestly, kind of a joke piece, or... a time-killer, more accurately. That said, the amount of additional effort I put into this one might be... less than admirable? Heh seriously, though, crits would be seriously appreciated, if for no other reason than for future application. In all truth, though, I probably will be updating this. The whole concept of turtles that are also ninjas is pretty badass. :D

Things that concern me:
The AA on the bandanna is sloppy
Anatomy? (not sure, but it's always a problem of mine)
Just remembered I left out the belt: when I was working on it, I had a hard time adding it w/o making it appear flat... (I'll work on this, shouldn't be too hard)
The dithering? Looks a bit too... obvious... to me. Maybe add a buffer shade?

Other stuff.. but... anyway, this is just some of the stuff I'm looking for opinions on. Let me know how to do better!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:30:54 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Re: Testudine Shinobi

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:38:09 pm
-The groin area looks pretty strange. As in, it exists, whereas the pics that I saw don't have it.
-Feet look weird as well. Would be nice if they weren't facing the same direction.

Other than that, it's really pretty. Saved.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 09:06:37 pm
I love the smoothness of thiss piece, though you never seem to be able to stop youreself from outer AAIng the piece  :crazy:
I also think the legs look a bit "unatached" to the body. Keep it up, loving it!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:28:06 pm
Oooh!  ;D

As a TMNT fan, I totally aprove. Very nice design, and you got the look down pretty dead on.

I too think something needs to be done about the groin area. The plastron is supposed to extend all the way down to the crotch, but you have it there just above the crotch.
Looks like someone is exposed.  :o

But yeah, other than that, this art piece looks badass. Totally radical! (I just had to say that)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 09:36:56 pm
The way that his upper body is drawn, it looks like he's leaning forward, but then his legs are stiff as boards - I think either the legs need to have some bend, to work with the lean, or his upper body needs to be straightened.

Looking at the way you pixeled it, I think you intended for the upper body to be upright - but I think that the shoulders, the chest area (plastron?) and the position of his arms give the impression of the lean.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:07:03 pm
other than the things mentioned, i have no technical crits. but i do have some D: style crits D:
theres nothing wrong with your style right now, imo youve pretty much reached a consistency with your style that is as high as it gets.  reasonable color count, minimal dithering, clean near perfect inner and outer aa, and mostly clean ramps. now, what i propose to you, maybe not for this piece, but future ones, is to venture out of this style, take away the outer aa that you always get bugged about? make those lines more perfect so they dont need it, make your lines not afraid to be pixeled. play with some colors, do some completelely flat shaded pieces.  maybe do a piece with very dramatic lighting, which means bountyful amounts of contrast!

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:09:31 pm
The legs kind of do look a bit separated from the rest of the body, and like Akz said, his body looks like he is leaning forward, while his legs don't, beautiful work though :D
Although, I'd definitely take Ryu's advice, and try a different style :D, more fun n__n

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 01:55:10 am
dude

seriously

where is his belt.  NINJA TURTLES ALWAYS HAVE NINJA BELTS.

however, that said, loving your shading and dithering and palette - toes look a little funny to me, and you definitely need to kick the "way overdeveloped quads and obliques" thing ;)  legs hips obliques abs all have skin connecting these muscle groups and bones!

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 08:05:41 am
 Awesome! I got nothing to crit. :D

Offline Derek

• View Profile
    • derekyu.com

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 02:43:01 pm
Looks great! ;D

Anatomy? (not sure, but it's always a problem of mine)

The thigh... you can simplify muscle segmentation, but you still have to know what's going on underneath. :)

Here's a quick paintover that I did where I modified his left leg:

What do you think?  Is that better?  And here's some reference for you.  Good job, though!  You're ace at pixels... just need to keep practicing those art fundamentals (as do we all).