Poll

If i made a forum, about all kinds of art, and programming, and discussion, would you join?

Definatly!
ill try it out.
maybe after you get a couple hundred people.
no.
never.

AuthorTopic: PleaseAnswer!  (Read 13125 times)

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Re: PleaseAnswer!

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:12 pm
why? i like to do a little of everything, and i dont want to go to a bunch off different forums...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:14:54 pm by skeddles »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 09:11:51 pm
Dude, now you're just being downright rude.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 09:13:53 pm
And soon to be banned if you don't clean up your act.

Offline skeddles

• View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 09:14:23 pm
Dude, now you're just being downright rude.

im sorry

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 09:16:30 pm
Helmowned.
XD
er, no, Pixelation is good enough for me :)
Also because, from the way you've acted in this topic, definitely no.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 09:28:52 pm
I'd say no, for all the reasons above and because everyone and their mom is already doing it, not to mention that these "everything" forums tend to have an initial flurry of activity and hype, followed by a not-so-fun long, spiraling decline :p

Starting a forum, even with all the setup done, is hard.  Attracting, entertaining, and keeping a user base can be tricky enough WITH a niche to focus on... doing so with no focus is almost going to guarantee a low rate of member retention, post quality, and massive headaches for the people who have to create content and activities for members with skills and interests that are scattered all over the place.  Too lazy to scroll and check now but whoever compared this forum to the DeviantArt pixel art forum hit the nail on the head.

Fortunately, we didn't have to "start" Pixelation... while some of us that help run it are founding members, none of us are original moderators or admins.  It was already established for us by Tsu and FE long ago, complete with a loyal community with an interest in seeing it succeed.  If we had to start from scratch now, I seriously doubt we'd have the same result.

Plus, running a forum isn't all that easy.  IMO, all the mods here do a pretty badass job (not patting myself on the back here, in terms of moderating and the day-to-day running of Pixelation the others do way more than I do). It requires a good amount of communication, and since there are often times when there are only a few active moderators/admins on and patrolling, everyone pretty much has to be in agreement on how the forum should be run in order to make appropriate decisions quickly.  If you're lucky enough to have an awesome, like-minded community like we do, you'll be able to divert some attention from peacekeeping and mundane rule enforcement into the improvement of the forum as a whole, but it'll always take up a good amount of the time your mods graciously volunteer to your forum.
typing ewith fdace

Offline skeddles

• View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 09:36:48 pm
I'd say no, for all the reasons above and because everyone and their mom is already doing it, not to mention that these "everything" forums tend to have an initial flurry of activity and hype, followed by a not-so-fun long, spiraling decline :p

Starting a forum, even with all the setup done, is hard.  Attracting, entertaining, and keeping a user base can be tricky enough WITH a niche to focus on... doing so with no focus is almost going to guarantee a low rate of member retention, post quality, and massive headaches for the people who have to create content and activities for members with skills and interests that are scattered all over the place.  Too lazy to scroll and check now but whoever compared this forum to the DeviantArt pixel art forum hit the nail on the head.

Fortunately, we didn't have to "start" Pixelation... while some of us that help run it are founding members, none of us are original moderators or admins.  It was already established for us by Tsu and FE long ago, complete with a loyal community with an interest in seeing it succeed.  If we had to start from scratch now, I seriously doubt we'd have the same result.

Plus, running a forum isn't all that easy.  IMO, all the mods here do a pretty badass job (not patting myself on the back here, in terms of moderating and the day-to-day running of Pixelation the others do way more than I do). It requires a good amount of communication, and since there are often times when there are only a few active moderators/admins on and patrolling, everyone pretty much has to be in agreement on how the forum should be run in order to make appropriate decisions quickly.  If you're lucky enough to have an awesome, like-minded community like we do, you'll be able to divert some attention from peacekeeping and mundane rule enforcement into the improvement of the forum as a whole, but it'll always take up a good amount of the time your mods graciously volunteer to your forum.

well, even if my forum does go downhill, i dont mind. they are fun to work on. and i already have a couple friends(not 14 year olds), who do a lot of modding, and are good at it.

and out of curiosity, who are Tsu and FE ?

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 09:40:31 pm
I voted "never." There's no reason to start up another internet community, there's no demand for it, and there are already more forums out there than I'd ever be able to browse through in a lifetime.

The only reason for starting a forum like that is so that you can feel like god or so you can try to snatch up some internet fame. The "I hate going to a bunch of different forums" line is bogus, you'd still go to all of the other sites even if you had your own.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:01:32 pm by Akzidenz »
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 09:46:36 pm

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 09:47:46 pm
Tsugumo and FrozenEmu were the board nicks of the owners of the site that once housed the original Pixelation.  Tsugumo got busy with art school, passed the forum on to the members, and is now working in the industry.  I'm not too sure about Frozen's whereabouts at the moment; he's probably got a degree or two and is coding for somebody :p
typing ewith fdace