AuthorTopic: Chibi bases  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: Chibi bases

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 07:33:09 am
Perhaps the fact that you were able to simply reuse the female legs as male legs might be an indicator that the legs are too masculine for the female.  Particularly the lower legs and ankles.  Those are thick ankles, even for a guy.

The male's torso seems extremely stiff.  You have the legs set up for the pose to be similar to the girl's, but it looks like you didn't want the same feminine pose so you changed where the guys center of gravity would be (for the torso), but his legs have a different center of gravity.  This is even suggested by the way his shorts come down on his left, but we still see his hipbone.  It's a very problematic sprite that, I think, would require a significant reworking. 

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 10:45:07 am

Highlingth the bones of the girls legs less and highlight her calves more. I also still think the shoulders are angled strangely.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 03:21:47 pm
Thanks muchly guys, i totally get what you're saying. I kinda rushed the guy, and decided to slap on those legs quite half-assedly. Also, after seeing the girl sprite in a skirt her chunky legs become incredibly apparent, so i'll have to fix that aswel.

Perhaps you're right sharprm, about the shoulders, but i think your edit loses a sense of flow with the sprite, even with alot of cleaning up i think it'd be a problem. Thanks for the tip about the shins, i always think i should highlight them cus they're the most prominant thing at the front, but with the lightsource and such, yours definetely looks better (not that the lightsource is very thought through or anything).

And lol, nice one with the V.

Offline Aeon Vision

• Shake of the dust...Arise!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 06:53:21 pm
I'm not that good at giving alot of critique, so I'll keep it short.
First of all: it looks great!
Yes, it is a doll, buy hey, its sooo different than any dolls I've seen yet...
Furthermore: Make the lower legs of the female one smaller, she looks like an atlete now, don't know iff you intended it?
  :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 10:47:45 am

building further on that last edit.

Offline Monkeyspork

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 06:53:41 pm
We've actually started on clothing and such for the bases that Larwick made. Thanks to everyone that helped him, and Helm that edit rocks, shame we started the clothes already :(

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 01:36:57 am
So is dressing these dolls gonna be a new activity? :D

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 01:43:52 am
I'm taking a guess that this is going to be a sort of MMOC, except possibly forum based.
Much like gaiaonline and other sites along that line.

Offline Monkeyspork

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 06:50:59 pm
I'm taking a guess that this is going to be a sort of MMOC, except possibly forum based.
Much like gaiaonline and other sites along that line.

:o :o Mabe <,< >.> lol