AuthorTopic: Mecha Girl 3  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Mecha Girl 3

on: December 17, 2006, 10:29:16 am
Pallet challenge entry, inspired by Helm and Pkmays beautiful pieces
Latest Update:

Old:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2653.0

C+C would be greatly appreciated, though i don't know how much I will be willing to change.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:07:06 pm by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Mecha Girl 3

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 12:08:55 pm
Pretty nice, some AA on her wouldn't be bad, since the light parts kind of stick out at her edges.
EDIT: Noticed just now, shorten her belly slightly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 02:50:38 pm by Ryan Cordel »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:04:52 pm

While the overall structure of the girl is solid, the shading doesn't reinforce the structure. When in doubt, I prefer to simplify or eliminate a line for clarity, and emphasize it's shape using lights and shadows. You've done a good job of communicating form without using a jumble of lines to show detail, but the shadows and highlights don't compliment the line art as well as they could. I made a small edit and will explain the changes in the hope you or others will find it helpful.

Hair
Yours is looking very pillowy, and it has white pixels next to very dark pixels, which makes the hair look jagged in places. Also, the flow of the hair gets lost towards the back of her head. I went for a simpler more cyber punk look. I tried to make it clear that her hair is tied back on the far side, and it's spiked out on the near side.

Face
I made it clear that one side is getting hit by a rim light and that the other side is in shadow. I like the dramatic effect, so I also threw in dark pixels next to the rim light to make the effect stand out more. The nose and head also cast drop shadows, adding to the drama.

Bust
Having armor that changes from smooth curves to sharp angles is tricky. I took the easy way out on the shoulder armor by making it completely angular. The chest piece took more work, and I found it more efficient to use highlights and shadows to describe the transitions than relying on lines.

Sword
Something I learned while working on the challenge was that 45 degree angles are your fried in you aren't going to rely on AA. And they are great especially on mechanical objects like weapons. I also learned that while you can get away with odd angles on larger objects, such as the cube your girl is sitting on, smaller objects, like her sword, turn out much easier if you keep the angles straight.

I would suggest you work to be more bold and structured in your shading. If something is supposed to be in shadow, make it clear that it's in shadow. Don't thow a bunch of shades between every light and dark, or you'll just end up pillowing the piece to death. It will make your work much more readable as a whole.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 08:13:45 pm by pkmays »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:18:20 am
Hrm,

Well I tried to do an edit but found I was just coping yours so i gave up. but I will keep every thing you told me in mind for my next piece.

Thanks Pkmays

(I might try again later but its doubtful)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 12:25:25 am
Hrm,

Well I tried to do an edit but found I was just coping yours so i gave up. but I will keep every thing you told me in mind for my next piece.

if thats not a kick in the face, i dont know what is.  you posted this piece for critique - you got a damn good edit, what was the point in posting it if you cant be bothered to work on it more?

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 12:41:58 am
Point Taken Feron, was just feeling abit hopeless

I'll try my best then :)

Edit: Im still going on it but heres some progress

One of what will probably be many edits. on the right track?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:15:19 am by Meta|Fox »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 02:34:18 am
I'll try my best then :)

That's all any artist should expect of himself, really. I like what you've done with the handle and face, keep it up.

Here's a real rough edit to show how I think the shadows should fall. Should help if you get confused as to how something might be shaded.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 03:14:19 am by pkmays »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 04:56:01 am
Thank you Pkmays for another extremely helpful edit, heres what iv got now

Hows it look? More C+C would be fantastic.

(Oh and thank you again Feron, that bit of resolve helped me alot)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:49:58 am
Oooh! I really like how she looks. You did a great job on designing her.

The only thing I'd suggest is to adjust the curve of her tushy so it looks like there's some pressure on the butt as she sits. You need to show the suppleness of her ass against what she's sitting on.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 10:23:28 am
 :o Just noticed she had no ass, thanks for pointing that out Ryona ^_^
very quick edit: