AuthorTopic: spaceship, house and more...  (Read 39935 times)

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Re: spaceship, house and more...

Reply #60 on: December 31, 2006, 02:56:09 am
Tutorial please!

I tried messing with 3d programs on and off, and figured out how to do some basic modeling and rendering,  but I never figured out how to do proper UV unwrapping. Or how to render a light-less scene with flat pixels :/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:58:03 am by cave »

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: December 31, 2006, 03:46:13 am
The difficulty of making a tutorial is that there's no one way to do it, every tool does it a little differently and seeing a tutorial in 3DStudio is probably not going to help you because you probably don't have 3DStudio and other tools while they may be similar can also be totally different.  Personally I use Silo for modeling ($100), Ultimate Unwrap for UV mapping (35$ ish), and PaceMaker for animation  (24 GBP).  You could substitute Wings3d for the modeler since it's free, I've used it but I prefer silo's interface.

As far as UV mapping, rigging, animating.. all that stuff goes there's no real way to know if what your doing is going to work without going thought he full process several times. It's just like any other art, there's no better way to learn it then to bang your head against the wall repeatedly for hours. The tools get more complex and as a result so does the learning curve. It could take you a week or two to get comfortable in whatever 3d modeling package you use, and at least a few days to get a basic grasp of UV mapping, rigging, and animating.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #62 on: December 31, 2006, 08:43:39 am
I really like the look of pixeled textures on lowpoly models, despite what a lot of hardcore pixelers say. Great models here :)
Also a good occasion to repost my old mech which was never finished and thus looks a little crappy ^^

WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: December 31, 2006, 11:42:07 am
So with the textures do you make the light source from above and in front always? I think thats what you're doing. My only crit is for
the girl's face maybe there shouldn't be the darker shade above her eyebrows, becuase eyebrows are the bit that sticks out greatest.
Keep posting these they are great!  :D
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: December 31, 2006, 04:16:26 pm
Very impressive. I've been wanting to try this for a long time, I just got other assignments. Hard not to get inspired by the new low poly DS games. The newest one reminds me of the models for Rival Schools on the shading. But maybe she's a little modern to be in a classic RPG? I guess it's the uniform tags that give me that impression.

On the issue of triangles. I know that when you make a four edged plain, there will be a line visible to show where the square bends. However, if you actually split/cut it, you end up with triangles, or quads which are hard to texture. Looking at the mesh you posted, I'm not sure if you have made your squares into quads or not. If you have, wouldn't that be unnecessary?

Another thing. Do you animate in vertexes or do you use some sort of biped or skeleton?

The rest would just be praise I guess.  :y:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #65 on: December 31, 2006, 04:49:29 pm
Very impressive. I've been wanting to try this for a long time, I just got other assignments. Hard not to get inspired by the new low poly DS games. The newest one reminds me of the models for Rival Schools on the shading. But maybe she's a little modern to be in a classic RPG? I guess it's the uniform tags that give me that impression.

On the issue of triangles. I know that when you make a four edged plain, there will be a line visible to show where the square bends. However, if you actually split/cut it, you end up with triangles, or quads which are hard to texture. Looking at the mesh you posted, I'm not sure if you have made your squares into quads or not. If you have, wouldn't that be unnecessary?

Another thing. Do you animate in vertexes or do you use some sort of biped or skeleton?

The rest would just be praise I guess.  :y:

I can answer your triangles question - you will only be able to see the line dividing a quad if the quad is nonplanar.  Also, when you are modeling, especially at this resolution, you rarely turn triangles into squares - most everything is a quad unless it really does need three sides, and then you force it to triangles for the final mesh (unless its going on the DS - then you can keep your quads as long as they are basically planar and won't be deforming).  Finally, working with triangles or oddly shaped quads on your UV map isn't too bad, you just have to plan ahead - is it ok to distort this quad so that I can texture its edges to be straight, or will it wrap around and I have to simply place it in such a way that it doesn't deform BUT i can still get some straight edges out of the deal.

Hope that helps!

Awesome new stuff Kenneth, the FFIII models are REALLY inspiring aren't they!?

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #66 on: December 31, 2006, 06:50:51 pm
I don't think I can express just how much I love these pieces, Kenneth.  It was said a while back, but these really do feel like 3D pixel art.  The low poly count and the sharp, crisp texturing blend so well.  I can see the argument that these are not "pixel art" but I don't care, I adore the work here and would love to see more of it.  I fact, I'll take it one step farther.  I would love to see a game made in this style, brilliant 2d backgrounds melded with your adorable 3d pixel textured models (I suppose it might look a bit like New Super Mario woudln't it).  As long as the textures continue to be pixeled, I see no reason for this not to be here.  Art is about expanding and exploring new ideas and concepts.... this is just taking pixel art and modelling, and seeing what the attempt looks like, strangely, a lot like a voxel piece.  I love this Kenneth, I've always adored your work, the flat, brilliant colours always look so nice.
Glub Glub!

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: January 01, 2007, 08:53:58 pm
I decided to model the 2nd pixelart I ever posted to pixelation, 256 polys. I'm doing the UV mapping now, it seems to me in doing this Kenneth that you must be doing the texture map and the UV mapping at the same time. Or are you really just thinking ahead much further then I am capable of?

For those curious.. this is my 2nd contribution to pixelation way  back in the tsugumo days :)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: January 01, 2007, 11:46:58 pm
I love the girl, reminds me of Chrono Cross, which is one of my favorite games.. :O.. And i hate FF games. Keep up the good work  :y:

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: January 03, 2007, 04:58:08 pm
some love back from me as well:
exactly 100 triangles. of which 80 go to the wheels. -sigh-
For the flat, side surface of the wheels have you tried using just a 1 (or 2) triangle surface with a transparency map around the edge? I've seen that trick in a lot of games, especially low-poly ones.

Btw these are really great Kenneth :)