AuthorTopic: spaceship, house and more...  (Read 39933 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: spaceship and house

Reply #50 on: December 23, 2006, 05:37:59 pm
Looks pretty, but I could see this looking pretty awful if you started changing the angle/distance of camera to less nice positions that you would find in a game. Right now you dont see it when it would start skipping random pixels from odd resizes. Like on your first iamge we only see for a fraction of a second when some lines, like the orange rectangle of the thruster have pixels missing. But in a game we could have instances of this where this happens and stays taht way for multiple seconds at a time.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #51 on: December 23, 2006, 06:46:45 pm
Your ability for rendering 3D objects is astounding! I love the color choices as well.

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: December 23, 2006, 07:10:21 pm
I wasn't very interested in 3D until I saw AdamAtomic and kennethFejer's stuff... :)

To me, this lo-poly models with lo-res textures is like pixel art for 3D (not counting voxels, I guess).

It might not be pixel art once it is put to a plane, stretched and skewed, but I still consider it "pixel art" at least for the texture, and "low poly" for the model.

Anyway, I love this kinda stuff, and it's rekindled my recently waning interest in 3D programs...

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: December 30, 2006, 04:23:21 am
wow, thanks the the comments, sorry for not replying back before now, been on holiday.

8bitty:
no sorry, i don't know about any useful tutorials for this.
i've actually done a lot of 3d, but i haven't touched it for about 4-5 years  :-[

Alex Hanson-White:
yeah they are pretty quick to map, as long as you keep them this low poly.
i pretty much just map them bit by bit, there's no reason to map the whole object straight away, as long as you make sure, you keep enough space left for the rest of the object.

sure, i'll post some pics of them without the texture later :)

AdamAtomic:
yeah that blades definitely looks much better at high speed, if you make them wider.
i just kept them normal width, so they wouldn't look weird, if they weren't rotating.
i guess an easy solution for this, would be to have to copies of the blades and just not render the ones you aren't using.

Froli:
making a video of how i create these, seems like a lot of work :(

Dusty:
not sure i understand your question :/

to make up for my late reply, here's a wip of a character im working on at the moment.

still need to optimize her a little bit and texture her hair, i still have lots of space left on the texture.
she's meant to be a rpg type character, similar to the ones in the final fantasy DS games(they look amazing btw,
check out the chronicles trailer, if you get the chance), so i might give her a sword or something... will have to see.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: spaceship, house and more...

Reply #54 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:36 am
looks good, be sure to make a spin anim when you're done... or even a walk cycle  :angel:

and on the subject of you recording how you make your stuff, I'd like to watch a video of yours, but more-so of traditional pixelart/sprites
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: December 30, 2006, 06:09:07 am
you're working in 3dsmax right? are you counting triangles or polygons?
edit: allso, how do you set it so the pixels dont get blurry on the model?

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: December 30, 2006, 07:12:20 pm
.TakaM:
not sure if people wants to see how i do my art, i don't sketch or anything and i never really know, what im going to draw, before spending some time doodling. i've been meaning to do a video though, i've even started recording a couple of times, but i usually give up half way through, im too lazy :/

snader:
its 3dsmax, if you dont want it to blurry the textures, you just untick the AA option in the render and set filtering to none, under the bitmap options, in the material editor. that should do it.

good point, it's triangles.

btw, i promised to post the mesh pics, so here they are:

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #57 on: December 30, 2006, 10:21:58 pm
I'll give you a suggestion: make backgrounds for them! I've been playing Final Fantasy 9 and I am still amazed by the graphics (mainly the backdrops and FMVs). They use low poly 3D characters for important stuff only. It would be nice to see these objects you've made in a similar-styled game.

Too much tease, too much! :(
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: December 31, 2006, 02:31:43 am
gah.. dang you kenneth, I tried to do a low poly character and i ended up around 500 triangles or so, yours is genius.. I must try to reduce!

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: December 31, 2006, 02:42:34 am
some love back from me as well:

exactly 100 triangles. of which 80 go to the wheels. -sigh-
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:59:19 pm by snader »