AuthorTopic: spaceship, house and more...  (Read 39930 times)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Re: spaceship and house

Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 06:42:36 pm
I think that the moment you have a 3D engine rendering out your frames, it stops being pixel art in the "pure" sense - seems like the definition of pixel art is "placing every single pixel down yourself," and if you're just texturing a model that's being rendered later, then.. it breaks that rule.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 06:51:51 pm
ahem, the texture is pure pixel art.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 22, 2006, 07:47:56 pm
terley, what hes saying is that the 3d engine renders and distorts the textures on the model. once this is done, thats when it stops being pixelart.

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: December 23, 2006, 03:52:13 am
If your all going to complain about pure pixel art then look at the Texture and ignore the 3d. Jesus, don't put so many boundaries or you wont accomplish anything.

BTW, Like I said on MSN Kenneth the look sweet, also like the latest addition.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 04:19:58 am
were not complaining, just thinking about where the line would be drawn between this and pure pixelart.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006, 04:33:06 am
the talk about pixel art for me ends when what you've made is put on a surface which is rendered in 3d. A polygon on something. When the pixels are stretched, skewed and so on, it's over. Of course this doesn't mean anything, discussion can go on, the process can be scrutinized, whatever. I'm just saying that's where the benefits of pixel art stop applying for the art, when you mess with the atom of the universe (the size and shape of the singluar pixel)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: December 23, 2006, 05:27:36 am
I really don't care if it's considered True Pixel Art or not. What I do care about, is that this retains the things about pixel art that I find aesthetically pleasing. Low res, pixelated, minimalist, economic, effective. Those are the things I love about pixel art, and these examples hold true to my ideals.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: December 23, 2006, 06:03:23 am
Oh, I love the look of this stuff. It's smooth and crisp, and has an unexplainable appeal to it.
I was just wondering what's considered what when you start working with this stuff. (Since it may be easier to make a model and texture it and grab the sprite captures from that instead of actually pixeling each sprite seperately.

Offline commodore

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: December 23, 2006, 04:41:25 pm
If I'll map a sprite on a polygon that doesn't skew, rotate, scale the sprite in any way, it's not pixelart anymore (it looks the same as in the app you made it with)? This technique of making 2d games in 3d is often used because of the modern hardware rendering 3d so fast.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #49 on: December 23, 2006, 05:00:38 pm
Uhhh, I think you missed the point, Commodore. It's only when it does stretch, skew or rotate that it becomes something that isn't pixel art. (As long as the polygon you've got the sprite on moves one full pixels at a time!)

Edit: Kenneth, these really appeal to the 3D modeler in me. Nice work!