AuthorTopic: spaceship, house and more...  (Read 39925 times)

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

spaceship, house and more...

on: December 17, 2006, 04:18:25 am
hi all,
heres a little thing I've been working on today.
before people get upset, i have to say, yes its 3d, but the texture is still pixel art, so hopefully its still useful/interesting for people to check out.
I've just finished another 3d project at work, so I've kind of gotten into low poly 3d again, its fun :)

anyway here it is:

its inspired by a wireless game i did a year ago or so, called alpha wing 2, so if you've ever played that game, you'll notice it :)

oh and i made a gif as well

« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 04:26:21 am by Kennethfejer »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: spaceship

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 04:57:39 am
I like the pallete. It looks good from most angles, but I don't like it from the back. Would it look better with the back of the tails being grey?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline commodore

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:51:43 am
Pixeling a texture for 3d is lol. Anyways it rocks! Don't change a thing.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:50:16 am
God damn, that model is awesome.  :y:

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 02:32:00 pm
HELLO I love you.

Heh, I actually pixelled a 128x128 texture for a nearly cubic robot at school recently, just to try it out. It's a TON of fun. I've got a whole series of ugly SNES/N64 crossover spaceships going on now... Maybe I should pixel the textures for those? They're all between 30 and 100 polygons.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 03:47:12 pm
I love this. I agree with sharprm on the weirdness of the light little jaggies on the rear of the vertical stabilizers. Also, I think the exhaust would work better with a black vent and couple fiery yellow triangular prisms for the afterburners. If the triangles are separate objects from the ship, they could easily have a cheesy jerky scaling animation applied too.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 05:58:41 pm
Nice one ken!  I love to do these too :)  A couple of tips:

1 - gradient on the side of the windshield is wasted IMO, lot of colors there that aren't contributing much

2 - the box with 2 glowy circles in it is a really boring look for your rear engine - if your rear fins were planes (or maybe just the front edges were planes) you would have a few extra quads left over to dress up those engines!

3 - give the back of the rear fins a little bit more UV space - not much, but a slight change should have the light edges rendering out a lot better even at small resolutions.  Doesn't need much!

4 - I assume the ship will never be seen from the bottom ;)  A little less space given to the largely flat and featureless windshield could have meant a detailed bottom for fancy in-game animations like barrel rolls.

That said, your shading in general is pretty inspired and spot on - great edge highlights and plane lighting, the white windshield front is bold and works perfectly.  the yellow tint to the highlights works great, and most of the detail work really does the job, especially the hinge-type thing for the windshield.  You should run this bad boy through Pepakura Designer!

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:04:57 pm
Kenneth, you always make the best stuff! I love your style :D

I tried pixelling a 64x64 texture and tried putting it onto a cube just to test it out, but for some reason the pixels kept overlapping the edges on the cube by about 1 pixel... I don't get it :\ (I'm using Maya 7, btw).

I have my UVs set up perfectly, yet the results are are all messed up.

What gives? Are there any important settings I should turn on before rendering? Or are 3d programs/UVs not supposed to be pixel-perfect?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:42:09 pm by Rynen10K »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 05:45:45 am
 Perfect  pink! I can't believe my eyes...this is so beautiful! I got no crits at all, but how did you rotate it?

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 10:48:07 am
Looks good. :y:
It'd be cool to see other people pixelling textures and them getting mapped to the model.