AuthorTopic: Pocky Love Edit:// finished?  (Read 12609 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Pocky Love

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 09:23:36 am
your socks are better than my socks, good idea with the greens there. The shade on the hair is still wasted, sorry. I see your preference on no pure black, and can't counter it with anything, it's just a choice. But the shade you used is still wasted at 1x zoom and 2x zoom ( aaaalllllllmost)

about B, also smart, the purple became an all-purpose contour shade, nice idea.

about the surface tinting. It's just light bouncing off. It doesn't make sense 100% but I thought the purply creature would be both highly reflective ( hence the sock thing ) and at the sime time absorbant of the red of the coat ( there's a red tint on it's left side ) which strictly speaking, I'm not sure can happen, but I like lighting details that mesh things together. It's a style thing, I should point those things out after I do them, and not let people wonder if they're valid edits or preferences of the editor. But you seem to have the hang of disregarding the aspects of an edit that aren't useful to you.

the backlighting is there to make the purple dude a little bit more interesting to look at, nothing smarter or more insightful there, sorry.

Liked how you used the white on the face for a little more highlighting, completely forgot it although I had the shade and I put it on the hands.

All in all, it shows that you took my pointers very seriously, and I am honoured that you did. You're a very good artist, what is missing is further familiarization with the pixel art medium, it's tricks and techniques. And that's what this place is here for! I'm glad I helped, and I'm glad that you put in the effort. If I took over your art too much with my edit, I'm sorry, it's just that I have fun editing ( I'm a dirty copier!! ) and get carried along.

Offline Bisque

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 10:56:05 am
haha i think we're both going to be anal when it comes to the hair ;). To me with just the black my eye goes STRAIGHT to the hair and really just doesnt want to leave. Its too solid. But thats okay haha ^^;. It may be that the colours on my screen are a little different from yours too :x. Becaue even not zoomed i can make out the extra shade haha.

I actually got the idea of using the purple from the face area of your edit =p. The side of the face is purple and i thoguht ' hey why not?' and tried it on the rest haha.

aaand..my brain has just officially shut down since its 7am and i have yet to sleep. i'll think of something to say to the rest of that later lmao

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 12:08:43 pm
if you have photoshop, go to control panel, run 'Adobe Gamma' and calibrate your monitor as best you can. Pixel art cries when made on wrong monitors. If you don't have photoshop, google 'on-line gamma calibration' or something, there's tests.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 12:10:06 pm
You're not alone when it comes to true black being used. Many don't like using it as it gives it a feel of being flat in pieces. But all in all, when it comes down to it, it's personal choice and preference.

One thing I think you really need to do is work on your contrast. Helm's edit really shows that more then I can describe. Also, I think the blob is in need of some highlighting, gel takes in light much like glass, and moreso since you seem to understand, eyes. It reflects a lot of it back which gives it a bright highlight.

Also, I feel the hair having a purple tint was better, it gave it a more lively feel. The grey/brown gives off a dull look.

Her left foot I feel is in need of an angel change, it looks too uncomfortable.

Overall I think you've done a great job capturing the anime feel.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, which I'll add on about Helm's post. Ya. Pixel art, seeing as it's very small and focuses a lot of detail, contrast and colour. Make sure your gamma is right and monitor brightness and contrast are both high as they can go.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 12:12:13 pm by Dusty »

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 12:30:00 pm
You paid good attention to the critique and fixed it up really well.
Too bad I came in a bit late to give any good C+C, because I think it's pretty much finished now.

I think it's awesome, it's like an anime video game styled character and very cute. :)
And I love Pocky. :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 01:08:20 pm
Make sure your gamma is right and monitor brightness and contrast are both high as they can go.

what's this what's this? That's not how a calibrated monitor is set up!

Offline Bisque

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 12:52:52 am
if you have photoshop, go to control panel, run 'Adobe Gamma' and calibrate your monitor as best you can. Pixel art cries when made on wrong monitors. If you don't have photoshop, google 'on-line gamma calibration' or something, there's tests.

I've actually done this before and ended up farking the screen over x_o. It basically white washed everything, 'twas horrible. Perhaps I did it wrong lol, I hope I do not do so again. Cross your fingers for me haha.

EDIT://
Ew I started to do as you asked and one of the steps for it ended up white washing the screen again x_o. Theres nooo way that that could be the way it supposed to look. Soo..I stopped haha. I'm sorry! x_o

One thing I think you really need to do is work on your contrast. Helm's edit really shows that more then I can describe. Also, I think the blob is in need of some highlighting, gel takes in light much like glass, and moreso since you seem to understand, eyes. It reflects a lot of it back which gives it a bright highlight.

Also, I feel the hair having a purple tint was better, it gave it a more lively feel. The grey/brown gives off a dull look.

Her left foot I feel is in need of an angel change, it looks too uncomfortable.

Overall I think you've done a great job capturing the anime feel.

1.I made a mistake in my post ^^;. The one on the left is the ORIGINAL lmao. So the one with no contrast is what i started with.
2.*points to number 1*
3.Yup lief already suggested this to me and I already stated i just hadnt gotten to it yet.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:50:30 am by Bisque »

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: Pocky Love Edit:// finished?

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 12:09:19 pm
Really good job. I'm assuming the one up a few posts is the finished (?) one. I really like it, but putting the yellowish color in the eye makes them look evil somehow. It might be that the face around it looks a little darker. I'm assuming you probably took the skin highlight from the pocky (cause thats what it looks like) but I think that it is a little too bright and makes the skin look really weird. It looks really dark, then really light, and makes the mouth look strange.

And helm, how is a calibrated monitor set up?
I.....am......me............

Offline Bisque

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 12:15:23 pm
Really good job. I'm assuming the one up a few posts is the finished (?) one. I really like it, but putting the yellowish color in the eye makes them look evil somehow. It might be that the face around it looks a little darker. I'm assuming you probably took the skin highlight from the pocky (cause thats what it looks like) but I think that it is a little too bright and makes the skin look really weird. It looks really dark, then really light, and makes the mouth look strange.

And helm, how is a calibrated monitor set up?

haha actually the finished one is in the original post ;)

---

EDIT://

here rofl. this is the finished. i'll put it here too

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:18:57 pm by Bisque »

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 12:19:21 pm
hehe...oops. I missed that one. Ok, disregard everything I said, that one looks great
I.....am......me............