AuthorTopic: Swamp tileset  (Read 19144 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Swamp tileset

on: December 15, 2006, 05:26:12 pm

Well this is a tileset I've been working on a fair bit recently, but I haven't touched it for a fair while very recently. Also I think I haven't actually posted it up here on pixelation, so I thought I'd do that now. Just started work on some road tiles, this is how it's shaping up:

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Swamp tileset

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 05:51:35 pm
Beautiful work! Can we see the individual tiles? Is this going to be made into a game?  :y:

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 07:01:17 pm
awesome.
I particularly like the bridges and the guy
as for the road, it look as if the edges are overlaying the ground when in fact it should be the dirt which is covering the road a bit..

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 07:23:24 pm
beautiful - i'm usually not partial to dithering in general, but it works so well here, and the contrast with the swamp water is perfect.  awesome!

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:34:57 pm
Lovely, I'm going to rely on this set heavily for inspiration at some future date. *me saves*
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:50:05 pm
Thats super. Love the trees. It all fits together nicely. Was there a game that influenced you most when u made these tiles?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 11:52:14 pm
Aaawesoome...
Reminds me of the Chaos Engine.
Stunning.
Can we see the individual tiles? Is this going to be made into a game?  :y:

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 12:37:09 am
Haha Eyecraft, that's alot of lovin' there.

Seriously, looks brilliant. I especially like the cliffs (and everything else). Although the road does look a bit out of place. Perhaps it needs more texture? Light patches of green or brown perhaps? I agree with Alex H-W, perhaps have a little bit of rock pile-up at the sides..

Keeeep it up man.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:40:18 am
hehe this is great. Love the way you did the rocks. I guess everything had been said with that, rock on! :y:
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 01:35:43 am
One of the best tiles ive seen in a while :o.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 01:40:07 am
@Pawige: Thanks. Yeah I've been working on an engine for it. Hopefully it will be single player and also online multiplayer.

@Alex Hanson-White: Thanks, yeah I definately need to work on the blending of the road tiles, they are way too clean and floating.

@AdamAtomic: Haha, I'm the same about dithering. I reckon there right and wrong times to use it, and rocks is a right time. The water took ages to get right, I almost gave up on it.

@xanthier: Glad I could inspire :D

@sharpm: Cheers, hmm, inspirations and influences from most prominant in my mind while working on it to least would be WarCraft II and III, Halo, StarCraft, Doom, Chaos Engine.

@Xion Night: Thanks =D

@Larwick: It is isnt it! Thanks for the ideas on the road, and comment :)

@KilledBySuicide: Cheers. Hehe, guess I'll just have to do more for people to comment on ;)

@ZoSo: Thanks =D

Here's how the tiles look:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:27:36 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 02:40:37 am
Awesome work.  For the road, I think you should shift the line back towards the top of the screen, as I think it would help stop the appearance of being from directly overhead.  Also, moss growing up onto the road's edges and having cracks spread on the actual road would make it look more worn, and you even have puddles if you wanted to to fill in potholes.  In all, make it mossy, cracked, and sinking. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 09:51:34 am
Ufff.. Great work!

The only i not like much is the tile of brown terrain is too simply, i thinks needs to add other color or anything to make minus repetitive, and a little more detailed.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 10:09:22 am
@Sohashu: those are some great ideas, thanks!

@Matriax: I can see what you mean. The brown muddy dirt shouldn't end up being used in large patches too much, so hopefully it wont be too huge of a problem.

Update: Played with the road a bit, still got a way to go with it yet...

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 11:23:49 am
 I like this! He looks like the protagonist guy from wolfenstein. 

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 04:08:40 am
I think the problem with the road is that the way your tiles are made, the road gets placed on the dirt/grass, while in reality, the dirt/grass would be invading on and being on top of the road.  So it might make more sense to just have the road as a solid gray and make an overlay of grass and/or dirt to put on the edges.  Just a thought.  This looks amazing otherwise.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 07:47:24 am
I like this! He looks like the protagonist guy from wolfenstein. 

BJ Blakowitz?!  :lol:
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 10:00:12 am
I think it look very nice. I would very much like to see this as a game :D

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 12:10:37 pm
BJ Blakowitz?!  :lol:

Minor correction, William BJ Blazkowicz. XP

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 10:52:00 pm
Ah ha.  The road is looking much better.  But as for the stripe, that is the part of it which is gonna sell the perspective. 

VS

It was just a quick swap, but I hope you get the picture. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 11:45:05 pm
sohashu, that only happens if you have a cylindrical shaped road which juts out of the ground and if the angle of the camera is shallow..
the original road seems fairly flat to the ground, and probably wouldn't need such an offset for the current camera angle..

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 11:47:19 pm
sohashu, that edit just makes the line look off centered.  It doesn't add anything to the perspective since it's flat ground that the line is painted on.  I completely prefer the original version.

and eyecraft, I've already mentioned to you how much I love these tiles.  Reminds me alot of bitmap brother's stuff, but with a tangy flavor to it.  Awesome work I must say.  I especially like the tree in the swamp water.

EDIT:  haha, kon posted the same observation before I could.  dang you Kon! *shakes fist*

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 01:01:02 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with the road really, though you should probably kill the dark outlines. I like the first road better, though. Anyways, roads aren't really built into the ground, they usually are overlaid.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 02:11:15 am
Wow! I love every part of this except the road's flatness.

Maybe offset it upwards some and bank it up at the sides, or add some gully erosion beside it, to give a greater sense of depth.

I want to play it.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 02:17:20 am
The road breaks up too fast..like one second it is there and the other it isn't. You should have it  break off, like have some broken asphalt and whatever.

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 02:33:56 am
i think you're going the worng way with the distressed road look. you're making it all weird crumbly. it's not dirt/cracked earth

http://asgiri.smugmug.com/keyword/road/1/77251728
http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Misc/Road/Road-0040/Road-0040.jpg
http://www.sligoyachtclub.org/Images/images2006/view%20from%20road%20april.jpg

allso, i think the perspective issue can be fixed by making the line thinner, to give more of an impression os seeing it more from an angle
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/lihi/Demos/SquarePanorama/cubes_large_angle.jpg
see the way the top and bottomplanes becomes less high, but stays the same width the closer you get to the middle row?

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 03:11:11 am
Alright.  My edit took like 5 seconds.  It was just a suggestion, and besides, it was a bit exaggurated.   Anyway, its just that the road's perspective bothers me.  Now I realize it's that we are looking from an angle on the road, so we should be able to see a little less of the back.   

Anyway, I just want to know a bit about the game.  What's it being made in, what kind of controls, storyline, etc.  It just looks so awesome.   

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 04:12:27 am
if you look at this divider in the road, you'll notice it is direct smack dab in the center of it even though the viewpoint is looking down towards it.. roads are too flat to warrent any kind of curviture.. they're suppose to look flat..
http://www.197aerial.co.uk/sovereign_house_irvine_a.jpg

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 12:03:44 pm
I think its a trick of the eye caused by the way I've made the edges of the road darker. It makes it look like it is pillow-shaded cylindrical, when really its flat. So I suppose that's the thing to correct. Now that I think about it there's no real reason why it should get dark like that, except for a bleaching effect from the sun effecting the top-sides of the road, and not the side-sides, ie the bits within cracks and edges of the road.

I'll rework the "shading" of the road in an attempt to remove that cylindrical effect.

@snader: thanks for the refs. What I'm going for here is a much more destroyed road. Something which has existed through earthquakes, nuclear attacks, etc. Post-apocolyptic.

@Adrian: yeah I know, the abrupt end is temporary; I haven't worked on the transition tiles yet.

@Indigo: thanks man :D

Thanks everyone for the comments and debate ;)

EDIT: oh and @Sohashu: I'm developing it currently in Multimedia Fusion 2. It uses keyboard for movements, and mouse for aiming/shooting. The aiming system is actually quite neat; the camera shifts to focus on where the player is aiming. The story would be the least worked on aspect of it; it is set roughly 5 years after a nuclear war has decimated the world's population. You play as a "normal" human. The world is rampant with robots, ruins, mutants and environmental hazards which must be overcome. At this time I believe the game will have a story/setting driven gameplay style, as opposed to a mission/level structure. Sort of like Half-Life. But still early days to be deciding all that.

It just started out as a coding demo that I was doing some simple graphics for, but grew into an actual game from there, mainly due to my overzealous execution, hehe.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:11:20 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 07:34:14 pm
This looks great! My only crit would be that the trees look a bit flat against the grass/dirt. Maybe some projected shadows on the ground would help with that.

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 11:56:39 am
Thanks Junkboy. Shadows are a thing I would like to add. I'll see how it goes.

Update: I've played a little with the top edge of the road to try to find a more correct style, I think it's much more successful, what do you think?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 01:13:10 pm
I think the problem with the road is that you're giving it a texture to transition the edges-to-center. I mean that's find to make the road blend, but then you have the actual texture of the road, where the dark part fades into cracks, and it really gives the road a sense of shape, like a cylinder, like it's really coming up high off the ground. If that makes sense.

Also, the high grass has a noticeable vertical line in the tiling.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 05:49:19 pm
Shift the line on the road down 2 pixels, and for the transition from road to dirt, give the dirt dominance over the road (higher) rather than the road dominance over the dirt.
Otherwise, nice tiles, but the water looks a bit dull.