AuthorTopic: Some old School GB art sheets from a popular early 90's game  (Read 3886 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In
Hi there...

I was inspired by Ryona's post about the Mockup GB work...

thought I'd post some of the old material I had knocking around my Hard drive from back in the early 90's...

it was a GB conversion of a popular miniture car racing game... (I'm sure you'll know which one... [if not... WHERE WERE YOU!?!?)

any how... here they are in their glory... enjoy...

crikey they seem so small now...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Re: Some old School GB art sheets from a popular early 90's game

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:00:15 pm

Looks good! Did you do the original game's artwork, or was this just a pure conversion job into the 4 shaded the GB could display?

Either way, very nice.. :)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 04:03:10 pm
Oooh! These are cool!
'Love the characters. They all look unique and fun.
The backgrounds and objects look really nice. Lovely details and textures.
And the crafts look really good! I'm impressed that they look so good for such small things. Also, I'm blown away by all the angles. This game looks like it's very smooth!

I'd totally like to see more.  :)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:20:46 pm
Looks good! Did you do the original game's artwork, or was this just a pure conversion job into the 4 shaded the GB could display?

Either way, very nice.. :)

hey there happymonster - :) your use of the word 'just' is interesting...

but to answer your question... yes ... I 'just' converted the artwork from the megadrive/genesis version... :P

But this involved a lot more than perhaps meets the eye...  everything was rescaled by an awkward factor - sized down to fit the gb screen and re-drawing the charmaps/tiles so they could all fit into memory... no mean feat I can assure you - infact the vast majority was redrawn completely using the original as reference... no offense taken btw - I do find it amusing that 'conversion' work can often be seen as simple... when it is more often the case that it's not...

(I did some of the levels on the sequel on the Megadrive/genesis after doing these - but those are very definatly lost in space)

Oooh! These are cool!
'Love the characters. They all look unique and fun.
The backgrounds and objects look really nice. Lovely details and textures.
And the crafts look really good! I'm impressed that they look so good for such small things. Also, I'm blown away by all the angles. This game looks like it's very smooth!

I'd totally like to see more.  :)
thanks ryona... I thought I'd post these to demostrate to you actually, the point I made on your thread about the 4 color transparancy issue with sprites... you'll notice that the vehicles are drawn in 3 - with 1 color free for masking. and yes... they had 32 steps of rotation... x and y flipped obviously to save on memory... if you liked those you should see this...

>> - I did this round about the same time... all by hand.. no 3d gfx package in sight... took about a week to perfect...

back On topic - Full Credit goes to the guys that drew the original artwork. great bunch of talented peeps... although 1 of them (and I think Ptoing will know exaclty who I'm talking about) has kind of lost his way... become one of them... but that's another story.

I'm afraid I haven't got any more GB sample work as this was the only title I did on GB... I'll dig out some GBC stuff and post that - but not immediatly as I'm rather busy ATM.

I'm glad you like :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 04:33:43 pm
*Cough*Micro Machines*Cough*
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 04:35:28 pm
Oooooh! That rotation is awesome! I totally love how smooth 3Dish it looks. Very amazing work. I'm deeply impressed!  ;D

And thank you for the examples on the four color transparancy thingy, Baccaman. I now finally get what you all were talking about! lol! Though I kinda got it from your comment in my thread. Something I'll be working on soon!

And yes, please do post your GBC stuff when you get the chance. I'd so love to see it.
I'm really into small pixel stuff that uses few tones/colors.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 04:46:36 pm
I never owned a GB, but I remember playing this game on a friends. I liked it better than the Genesis version.

Great job on the portaits. Snake is a total renegade.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:29:42 pm

Ahh. yes, 'just' was perhaps the wrong choice. What I was trying to ask was if you came up with the original gfx style and designs.. :)

I'm sure converting from Amiga / Megadrive gfx to a smaller resolution (160 x 144?) was much harder than porting say Road Rash gfx from the Megadrive to the Amiga. You seemed to have made a real effort in making the new gfx as good as possible, which is to your credit.