AuthorTopic: Prototype 01  (Read 5198 times)

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Prototype 01

on: September 19, 2005, 11:41:21 pm
i was screwing in ms paint, just making some random shapes and i started to see a little robot form. not much to say about it.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Re: Prototype 01

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 11:43:57 pm
This is proof positive that mspaint can be used effectively.

Honestly, not much else to say. It's a wonderful piece, and the composition is flawless.

The dithering doesn't even really look like dithering, it's very effective. The color choices are great too.

Great work, man, can't wait to see number 02 ;)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:09:19 am

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 01:21:27 am
Beautiful, as always. Just muckin' around you say? looks pretty purposefully made to me.
I honestly don't see what everyone hates about MS. It's the only program available to me and it works fine. But I don't mean to get off topic, so I'll just say:

F.A. (Freakin' Awesome)

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 01:24:24 am
I think it's a well done piece.
I'm not sure I really like the way the orange is done on the hand/arm.

Also, the shading on the stomach/torso of the robot.. it's kind of, plain? I'm not sure how to describe it. I think it could be done a little better.
And the head probably could have had that anti alias between the orange/blue done more on the top right section of the head. ;)

But overall I like it. If it were up to me I might outline it though.

And my preference is Graphics Gale. ;) MSPaint, sure, it can be used and all, but I rather GG. Plus, for transparency in MSPaint, you need to open it another program to do that, why not all in one?

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 01:28:21 am
You have a consistently high level of work Splatpixel.  Love the forms you use for your image boundaries, its good to break out of rectangular borders.  The hand needs some work though, its construction is wrong, but is finished very nicely (which almost hides the fact that it is wrong).  Your level of polish on pieces is very high, and I think this is what covers some fairly basic errors which are made (this is both very good and a little bad).  Lighting and shadowing is very good, few points though:  the far shoulder, although dithered, I believe should be fully shadowed by helmet etc The light coming in slightly is good though, builds the form although you should change it to a backlight, which is feasible.  The little speculars on the body are good, just watch the consistency, the arm highlight is off compared to helmet where the the light is raised and moved towards rear slightly.  The highlights on the rods from back are too similar, they need individual treatment due to the position and angle change for each.  The building edges look a bit funny embossed with thin highlight like that.  I would take the highlight off and leave as flat.  The eyes look neglected compared to the rest of image.  I would suggest no outlining.  The stomach might need more detail, which will allow you to add some interesting shadows in there, as luciferian mentioned.
all just suggestions, i really admire your work.

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 01:35:59 am
The only things I can comment on that have yet to be touched is yes, this is a good piece, however you hear that a lot.  I sir, will be the thorn of your rose.  I am issuing a challange to you, to make something small, and colorfull.  I think you have demonstrated a strong sense of style, and also a good understanding of large scale.  However, trust me when I say this...

The more you begin to understand working small, the better your larger pieces will become. It's the same princaple of why most 2d artists I know that defect to 3d are so good in the field, they have developed the eye for using the least needed to create the best possible.  They catch the small stuff.  I'm just suggesting...
*holds a dagger to ye throat* Pixel er die!