AuthorTopic: Low color tree  (Read 4511 times)

Offline di0xygen

• View Profile

Low color tree

on: September 19, 2005, 05:53:39 pm
**Edit**

3colors + transparency

it was mostly a dithering practice to see how if i could create a relatively nice tree with low colors.
C&C appreciated
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 09:13:19 pm by di0xygen »

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: Low color tree

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 07:16:43 pm
Wow, I really like it. I think there is a little too much dithering on the bottom part though.
I.....am......me............

Offline garsh

• I'll trade you 9 mouses for a pencil.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 08:13:51 pm
There's something I like about the various sizes and shapes of the leaves you drew, but I can't imagine a good excuse for one tree to feature what seems to be a variety of leaves. Vine overgrowth, maybe? The canopy looks a bit too much like a big, green glob of dough to me. You might consider breaking into the edges, makng the outline a little jagged, to show some leaves overlapping one another. Also, instead of just "checkerboarding" the pixels on the trunk, you might think about using them to make wiggly vertical lines to simulate a bark texture. A tree that size could probably use some substantial roots to hold it up, too. By that I mean the bottom of your trunk just looks like a rounded off nub, it doesn't look planted, just balancing unwieldily on that rounded bottom.

Offline di0xygen

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 08:55:56 pm
There's something I like about the various sizes and shapes of the leaves you drew, but I can't imagine a good excuse for one tree to feature what seems to be a variety of leaves. Vine overgrowth, maybe? The canopy looks a bit too much like a big, green glob of dough to me. You might consider breaking into the edges, makng the outline a little jagged, to show some leaves overlapping one another. Also, instead of just "checkerboarding" the pixels on the trunk, you might think about using them to make wiggly vertical lines to simulate a bark texture. A tree that size could probably use some substantial roots to hold it up, too. By that I mean the bottom of your trunk just looks like a rounded off nub, it doesn't look planted, just balancing unwieldily on that rounded bottom.

Thanks for the indepth critique its mostly appreciated.

I did change the leaves size to add depth and give volume, else it would of looked flat.

I usually do add leaves outside the lineart to give a ovelaping effect, but i aimed for a bit more cartonny style of tree with a defined outline. yet i shall do some test and edits to see if i can improve it.

and as for the trunk i do totally agree. yet i dident add textured cause i really wanted to give the effect that it was plundged into the shadow of the leaves

thanks again for the feedback

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 10:17:22 pm
I think it's very well done but because of the dithering that covers the entire bottom, you perhaps could've added yet more depth from that?