AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gameboy-style  (Read 34336 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gameboy-style

Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 06:53:16 pm
The white lines on the water- maybe it would look better if they were only where the moon is (hard to explain :S).

Something like that?
i agree

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 30, 2006, 01:58:05 pm
I remember that Gameboy game. Was said to be a sorta version of one of my favorite NES games Blue Shadow (Shadow of the Ninja outside of Europe I think) rather than originally a true Ninja Gaiden game.

Yeah, I've played Shadow of the Ninja. Not a bad game, but annoyingly difficult at times (even at stage 1!).

16 x 16 - FF2 stylie!

:lol:

Is that my character all chibified? Cute! ^_^

Great update Ryona! I got a ocuple of suggestions for the background:

- Add a few cirrus clouds
- Maybe try making the buildings outline-less?

I tried adding clouds, but it wasn't looking too good.
And some of the buildings need outlines or else they meld into the background sky.

Very neat pic of the city skyline, but what I'm trying to do is make it look like the bridge leads into the city. That's why the buildings gradually look closer.

Oh and thanks for the suggestion on the water, commodore and Zolthorg. I changed what I had and it does look better now.

Anyway, here's some more stuff. Pretty much the rest of the graphics needed before I can start programming the demo.

What do you all think?...

This here is the explosion after destroying an enemy.

This is a Dragon statue which holds a special orb.

After breaking the orb, one of these items appear.

Screenshots of what game play may look like.

And an improved cityscape. I may still add more city on the right.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #42 on: December 30, 2006, 02:43:44 pm
Beautiful.

But what is that third item?
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: December 30, 2006, 02:55:19 pm
Beautiful.

But what is that third item?

To me it looks like line rider.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 30, 2006, 11:40:40 pm

The first one is the classic medical symbol. You replenish two health units with it.

The second one is an energy orb. You replenish one power unit with it.

The third is the kanji for "Ki" (lifeforce/spirit/cosmic essence). You replenish three health units and three power units with it.

And the fourth one is an ankh (Egyptian symbol for (life/immortality). You gain an extre life (1up) with it.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #45 on: December 30, 2006, 11:41:57 pm
Ah, ok.  Am useless recognising japanese symbols :(
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #46 on: December 31, 2006, 12:39:12 am
Wow, Ryona! This is marvellous. I am so impressed by your work here. I definitely hope that you make this into a game :D

The running animation looks great, but maybe she's poking her ass out a little too much? Although that could be a character trait? (judging by the "scene" pictures of her, lol) I really love the jump animation too, it's ace! I do think you could improve the normal stance though. From the running and slashing and jumping animations she's a real fighter with attitude, and that stance just doesn't make me think she's preparing to fight.

The cityscape background looks great now after the update too. It's perfect; not too distracting, and yet very detailed.

Nice work!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: December 31, 2006, 01:16:59 am
Why, thank you, Mirre! ^_^

Yeah, you're definetly right about her ass sticking out alot. lol. Some people earlier on in this project were saying she didn't look "female" enough in some of the sprites and needed more curves. So I really tried to give her a voluptuous figure. haha

Oh, and as for her idle stance, it's an actual stance in Budo Ninpo Taijutsu called Shizen No Kamae. Basicly it translates as "Natural Stance". And that's really all it is. heh. It's a universal and versitile stance, and any kata can manifest from it.

Mirre, you can count on there being a playable demo sometime in January.  ;)

...I just gotta study up on Game Maker. lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:22:43 am by Ryona »

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #48 on: December 31, 2006, 01:53:28 am
Don't really have any crit to give, just wanted to hop in and say how cool your art is.
I think the "getting hit" frame (this one ) is where she looks the most feminine, of the small ones. I think it's the knees together thing.
The rest of the animation is cool! Keep it up!  :P
Ganbare!

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 10:41:00 pm
i really like where this one is headed, definitely my kind of game. However the main character should never be punished with a 4 frame run cycle, that's just cruel! :)

I added 2 frames, it could still use some clean-up but I think it helps a bunch. I'm not sure what the technical limitations are on the GBA, but surely 2 extra run frames wont hurt...

Original:
Edit: