AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gameboy-style  (Read 34143 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gameboy-style

Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 07:47:43 pm
Lovely! Great old-school feel, especially with the cityscape background. I think that the run needs some more tweaking for that proper ninja look. Panda had the right idea with his edit.
I also had this lying around, might be of some help, I dunno

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 11:04:34 pm
Thanks for the replies, people. Glad you're all enjoying the character concept.

Ok, now I know what some of you are saying about her run not looking "ninja-like". The idea is that she's not really suppose to look like she's running. It's more of a jog. Like, I was originally going to have her just walk, but felt that wouldn't work. And doing that high-speed ninja run you all are suggesting just looks too fast for me. I don't want her blazing across the screen. A jogging pace is much more preferable to me.

And about the sword slashes looking weird, I suppose it's the part when she withdraws her sword that looks awkward. Should I make the flash of the blade when withdrawing invisible?

Oh, and I hear ya on the springiness effect on her jumps, Faceless, but that would require adding an additional frame, and I kinda want to keep the animation of all the sprites rather simple.
I would have otherwise made eight to ten frames for everything such as attacks and movement as I normally do.

Oh, and I noticed what you mean about the leg, Woverine. I'll have that fixed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:07:00 pm by Ryona »

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 02:42:13 pm
Ok, now I know what some of you are saying about her run not looking "ninja-like". The idea is that she's not really suppose to look like she's running. It's more of a jog. Like, I was originally going to have her just walk, but felt that wouldn't work. And doing that high-speed ninja run you all are suggesting just looks too fast for me. I don't want her blazing across the screen. A jogging pace is much more preferable to me.

I been there.  Done a couple running tests before when making games and realised when the characters ran, to have them play the animation at proper speed, they'd actually move across the screen too fast for the required gameplay.  That's a reason why the lil guy in my signature actually has a more strong, determined stride than a run, especially since it's meant for a 22 year old computer which ain't really known for super smooth and super fast together.
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 05:49:02 am
I like your little guy, Wolverine. It's cute.

Anyway, here's a much needed update on my li'l project.

I updated all of my ninja's animated sprites, as well as adding some new ones. Also, I made two eneimes so far, and I've extended the background image and plan to extend it even more.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 09:03:09 am
Big improvements all around I'd say.
I really like that roll, and the ready stance she exits it into.
I think the jump still looks a bit stilted, but the jump attack is much less confused now which is good.
The hit animation just outright made me laugh.
I think there's too much noise in the backdrop, which is really making things confused towards the bottom.

I'm getting a distinctly Ninja Turtles vibe from all these. Is it intentional?
 I saw your introductory (I think) topic had a lot of Turtles content.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 09:16:55 am
Thankies! ^_^

Yeah, some of my friends seem to like the hit animation alot too. heh

I'll see what I can do about that mess in the backdrop.

As for my inspiration for this game idea, I got it from a classic Gameboy game I used to have called "Ninja Gaiden Shadow".  :)
But the inspiration for the ninja robot enemy came straight from the classic Foot soldiers of TMNT!  ;)

It looks like I have most of the graphics I need for the demo, so I should be able to start programming it within the first week of January me thinks.
I'll just need to study up on the tutorial. heh

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 01:04:27 pm
I remember that Gameboy game.  Was said to be a sorta version of one of my favorite NES games Blue Shadow (Shadow of the Ninja outside of Europe I think) rather than originally a true Ninja Gaiden game.

You've made some good improvements to everything.

Looking forward to the demo
keep on moving, lil dude...

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: December 28, 2006, 02:15:23 pm
16 x 16 - FF2 stylie!

:lol:

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 05:51:00 pm
Great update Ryona! I got a ocuple of suggestions for the background:

- Add a few cirrus clouds
- Maybe try making the buildings outline-less?

Here's a cityscape background I did some time ago, maybe it'll be good reference to you. I totally ripped the style off Sonic Advance 3 :P

Offline commodore

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 09:46:48 am
The white lines on the water- maybe it would look better if they were only where the moon is (hard to explain :S).