AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gameboy-style  (Read 34146 times)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gameboy-style

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 06:15:09 pm
Yeah, I was thinking to myself during the edit "Christ this girl is overly stacked, and I'm saying this as a guy. Maybe I should bring it up." But really, I think the style works.

It definitely relies upon that old-school anime vernacular, which is known for being anything but modest - I think that's why it works.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 06:37:14 pm
*blushes*

Yeah, I know she looks all kinky and stuff. I'm pretty much deliberently giving her sex-appeal.
She's a ninja, but more specificly, she's a kunoichi. And from what I've read, kunoichi had special training in seducing men with their feminine wiles. So, I wanted to incorperate that into the look of the character.

But how can a female hero appeal to the crowd when she's wearing pants? She obviously knows what sells well :-*

That too. lol

I don't think it'd be practical for a ninjagirl to run around in a supertight sting thing. What if she falls on her ass as she fights? Splinters!! I'd give her pants even if it would reduce the 'sexy' aspect somewhat. A girl ninja can be sexy in other ways than in fully exposing her rear.

True, the outfit is anything but practical. I was originally thinking about putting her in a more traditional ninja outfit, but felt that would be a little too bland. Also, I really wanted to give the character some "POW" with a sexy, temptress look. Not to mention it's just a fantasy world where she fights robots, demons, aliens, or whatever, so I'm not really worried about realism and logic.

Anyway, I'm obviously not shy about making sexually suggestive art. But if anyone has taken offense by the cutscenes or are bothered by them, please let me know. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

Does she look like an anime character?

I believe Baccaman was refering to many of my female characters posessing similar characteristics as me such as dark spunky hair, light complection, etc...

Anyway... I've taken the suggestions to heart and added some AA to the outlines as well as fixing the hair in the first cutscene.

I'll drop in that running sprite later after I've done some work on it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:26:38 am by Ryona »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 10:37:37 pm
Yes, awesome. That hair was really bugging me.
In the first cutscene, the belt looks like a leftover from lineart stages. Some kind of depth or shine or something would help it, methinks...even tough that would defyy the lightsource...
Hmmm...
'Side from that, this is great.

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 12:37:13 am
I am tired so I my eyes are not working 100% so I can't really crit right now :-[.  Just wanted to stop by and say that I llike what you've made so far. Still my eyes catched one crit;

On the last cutscene image you made her right buttock looks weird, I think the curve should be a bit smaller but again my eyes may fail me :P.

but I can't deny it, this looks very sexy :) nice job

in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 04:06:55 am

On the last cutscene image you made her right buttock looks weird, I think the curve should be a bit smaller but again my eyes may fail me :P.

agree on that the curve is really big compared with the left.

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 06:44:39 pm
oh wow Ryona, this is looking so awesome I can't even put into words! I really wish a great coder steps up to make this game happen :)

Now onto the nitpicks:
On the 'Scene 1' screen, the highlights of her breasts seems slightly off by a pixel or two to the right according to the light source of the rest of the body.
On the 'Scene 2' screen, either her right butt cheek is sticking out too much or her left butt cheek is sticking out too little, you decide! :3 Also, you forgot a basic rule about dynamic compositions: Avoid straight angles. I know that makes your job harder with the sword but thats what AA is for, right?

Having said all that, I really think you should prioritize the in-game art to make the game look more complete, and to find a great GB coder so we can all play this on our emulators :D

[Edit]
Ok, less talk and more pixel, here's a crummy edit:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:00:56 am by cave »

Offline Jake

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 04:45:01 am
very nice :D i wish the gameboy had games like this

some critiques:

your sprites dont meet gb restrictions, gb can only do 4 colors and for sprites transparent has to be one of those colors.

i have a couple of problems with the running animation, her legs dont move far enough and her breasts move too much imho. also, the legs have a strobing effect as baccaman said, making the back leg completely dark will reduce this.

heres my edit:

in the 2nd scene her left butt cheek looks a bit off, heres an edit i did to show you what i mean:

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 09:18:26 am
Thank you all for all the feedback.  :)

I've taken some suggestions and am working on adjusting my pieces.

I've made the curve of her right ass cheek smaller.

I know some are suggesting that I change the angle of her sword there, but I like the way it is. I promise you all that there will be another cutscene in which the sword will be the main focal point and I'll make it look all cool and "dynamic".

I've fixed the running sprite, and I believe it looks pretty damn good now.

I like everyones edits on the running sprites. They all helped me with the final one.
Oh, and so everyone knows, that's the speed she'll be moving in. I don't want her running through the stages at super speed. She's suppose to move at a jogging pace.

And now, here's some more sprites...

Jump attack

Run attack

Moment of getting hit

As you all can see, I eliminated one of the shades for the transparancy. I've also done that with the others, and I'll be eventually updating them here.

I believe the main character is done for now, so I'll be working on some enemies now. I'll be posting them later!

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 11:07:05 am
I really like these, but there's a few little things I think could use some work:
On the run animation, she uses the balls of her feet, which kinda kills the stealthy ninja aspect of her character for me.
The jump attack looks really strange, and I've got no idea what's going on with her sword. Try bending her knees into a crouch before she straightens out in her jump, only to return to bent knees before landing. I also think an upwards sword slash would look both cooler and clearer than what you have now.
I think that's all I've got, really cute character design. It reminds me of one of the girls from Bubblegum Crisis 2040.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Amon Design

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 04:45:08 pm
This looks great and I love low color work like this.  The only thing really bugging me so far (apart from the jumping which Faceless already mentioned) is that running.  Something about the legs bothers me.  To me it looks like the front leg shrinks in length when it's at its highest.   

But saying that my eyes are kinda sore right now anyway so it's hard to examine it zoomed in without getting a headache.
keep on moving, lil dude...