AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gameboy-style  (Read 34131 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gameboy-style

Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:04:16 am
I did a fast edit of what IMO would look better for the running anim (making it look more stealthy, if you can call it like that)

Then again it's not polished, but hope it gives you some ideas.

The rest looks nice considering the limitations, though the animations could be a tad more dynamic (right now they look too blocky).
Also I don't like how the hair looks like made out of tentacles or something.

But good job overall

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 10:22:49 am
Thanks for the comments and critiques everyone!

Akzidenz, I've adjusted the running sprite, and I think it looks better now. Let me know what you think.
As for the robot ninja guy, that was just a quick thing I made just to add an enemy on the screen. When I do get around to making the enemy sprites, I'll put more effort in them.

Ryumaru, I'm not sure what you mean about the color/shade thing. You'll need to clarify.
And I'll try to make the sprite look more "female". It's a little tricky because the sprites are so small.
And about the cut scene, the backround may or may not change. I'm not sure yet.

gliding, I'll see what I can do about the hair.
I'm glad you like the style of the character!

AIGuy, I may decide to use the exact tones of the original Gameboy. Though at the same time, the tones of the Gameboy games that I've played on my computer are closer to what I have.

pkmays, I like what you did with the cut scene, so I incorperated the solid shading style into a new altered cut scene pic.
Oh, and I took your advice and made her holding her sword while running. Very good idea.
'Glad you like my character! I'm always for strong leading female characters as well.

Before

After

More to come later.

I like the way you seem to make little versions of you in your work... well that's what they look like to me... :P

How does it feel being one woman amongst many teenage/twenty somethings...

Without dwelling on that idea -  I just wanted to point out the reason why your 4 frame run isn't working/reading in either of your edits is becasue it's 'strobing' - this occurs when there's a couple of animated elements that clash with one another reducing the overall effect... in this case, the legs.

What you've done is have both the leading and trailing leg follow the same path (or maybe even the same graphic, offset by a few frames and then darkened... am I right?) - common mistake... this causes the strobe effect, because the eye cannot pick up the differences between the shades as it reads the silohoettes first... something I often cite to alot of people is to be aware of the silhoettes aswell as the negative space... (neg space - is the gaps or holes in silohettes) - in this case, if you convert the runn sequence to purely silhohette... you'll se the legs appear to only have 2 frames... hence the strobing...

There's a few of solutions to this...

most common is to ..... adapt a 3/4 rotation for your sprite. Rather than having the character in perfect profile, slighlty rotate her towards the veiwer.. this offsets the legs by a few pixels, thus removing the strobe.

or - have a slightly different leg animation loop for the trailing or leading leg, so that they are unique...

or - animate in 3's and offset the rear and front legs extremes slightly... (this is the hardest method and involves upping the frame count)

Having said that I do feel that panda's keyframes has more dynamism... but you needed to know why yours wasn't right...

keep it...up..

1 other point - clarification of the shade thing... ryumaru mentioned it... regarding color limitations on a gb - with particular reference to sprites - he mentions the hardware restrictions - he's absolutley correct - the gb has 4 colors only as you've illustrated with your work here... but the issue is - you've used all 4 clours within your sprite - this is gb illegal - in that 1 of those shades needs to be used as a mask color - or the transparancy - so you've only actually got 3 colors to play with when creating your sprites on a GB - obviously this is highly pedantic, and it's not going to be on a GB - but it's something that if you're wanting to accuratly represent the GB in a mockup that you should really consider as it does have a significant effect in you choice of pixel placements.

That's all really.

ta
p :)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:54:00 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 05:03:29 pm

First off, love your work!

Secondly, I think dithering/solid shading is totally a preference thing. As I personally liked dithering version more.

Thirdly, and I am probably wrong on this, but the change in lighting in solid one (You moved it lower it seems), made her breasts appear LONGER (Not even larger, just longer), but it is physically impossible because her arm is right there! Just bugs the hell out of me x.x

Anyway, regardless this is some good work.
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 05:43:46 am
I like the way you seem to make little versions of you in your work... well that's what they look like to me... :P

How does it feel being one woman amongst many teenage/twenty somethings...

Agk! You're not the first to point that out. Am I really that bad? >_< *hides in embarassment*

And I've gotten quite used to being the only woman among many teens/adult males from various message boards and communities. It ain't no thang.

Anyway, Thanks for the great advice everyone! I'm so going to get that run animation looking good.
Also, I'll do something about the hair in the cutscene. I know it looks odd right now. heh

Oh, and I've eliminated the second lightest shade from the sprites for that transparancy.  ;)
I'll post the altered ones later.

And I'll try to make the animations look more dynamic ...though it'll be kinda tough with the attacking ones because I'm trying to keep the form true to iaido and kenjutsu.

Oh, and I don't really see what you mean about the breasts looking longer, Androk.
Either way, I'm glad you like my work.

Anyway... here's another cutscene I mannaged to get done.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:19:25 am by Ryona »

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 05:48:37 am
O god! I love it Ryona!

my ONLY crit is that the but cheek in the back is a bit wonky. Perhaps, shrinking it a tad might help?

Other than that I love it. You brought so much into the character with so little colour.  :y:

o and you might want to change the angle of that sword to a more- dynamic poistion. ^_^
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:51:11 am by gliding »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 06:14:02 am
This is great stuff. The animations, as has been said, could use some... clarifying? But The cutscene pieces, 'specially the newest one, look pretty friggin' tight to me. ;D

I have only one crit, and it applies to both scene pieces. There are some jaggies, particularly in the outlines, and you seem to have pretty awesome AA skills. Any reason why you didn't smooth these out? Honestly, I have no understanding of the GB's limitations, and for all I know it could be a personal choice (not wanting to risk making stuff seem blurry or w/e), but I think a few place in particular could really benefit from a bit of smoothing (the rightmost thigh in the first one, the sheath and hair in the newest one, etc.)

These really are fantastic though, either way. Nice work. :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 03:58:34 pm
I'm kinda suprised at the amount of tits and ass in the cutscenes, especially for art made by a woman. I don't think it'd be practical for a ninjagirl to run around in a supertight sting thing. What if she falls on her ass as she fights? Splinters!! I'd give her pants even if it would reduce the 'sexy' aspect somewhat. A girl ninja can be sexy in other ways than in fully exposing her rear.

I like the way you seem to make little versions of you in your work... well that's what they look like to me...

Does she look like an anime character?

I strongly second tremulant's call for aa on jaggies, like for example the scabbard in the second 'scene.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 04:26:11 pm
Nice ass, nice boobs, good concept.... who wont accept a sexy ninja with hardly any clothes on?.. I love it, keep making those cutscenes! :P

Yea i dont like how you dithered the shading on her legs in the first cutscene pic, it was alot better earlier. Keep up the good work  :y:

Offline Neoriceisgood

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 05:58:49 pm
I'm kinda suprised at the amount of tits and ass in the cutscenes, especially for art made by a woman. I don't think it'd be practical for a ninjagirl to run around in a supertight sting thing. What if she falls on her ass as she fights? Splinters!! I'd give her pants even if it would reduce the 'sexy' aspect somewhat. A girl ninja can be sexy in other ways than in fully exposing her rear.

Does she look like an anime character?

I strongly second tremulant's call for aa on jaggies, like for example the scabbard in the second 'scene.

But how can a female hero appeal to the crowd when she's wearing pants? She obviously knows what sells well  :-*

I'm not sure if this is valid "critism" however when I compare that last cut scene image to the previous one, I must say it appeals to me a lot more when the hair is just "pitch black" instead of entirely shaded;

I'm not sure what it is, I'd probably say the fact that the hair on cut scene number 1 sort of suffers from a play-dough/tentacle esque effect, where it doesn't really feel like "hair" to me,

on the newer one where it is all just one dark shade of grey, eventhough much simpler, it feels a lot better to me.

Hope I'm not just repeating what anyone said, and hope it helps you; keep up the good works :D

(p.s, she's wearing too much.)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 06:12:03 pm
Yeah, I was thinking to myself during the edit "Christ this girl is overly stacked, and I'm saying this as a guy. Maybe I should bring it up." But really, I think the style works. The drawings are cute while the character design is kinda kinky. I like the combination. The only unfortunate thing is that it doesn't carry over to the sprites.

Hair works much better in the second cutscene.