AuthorTopic: [WIP] Gameboy-style  (Read 34051 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

[WIP] Gameboy-style

on: December 14, 2006, 01:08:54 am
Here's something I was just playing with one night out of boredom. Since then, I've made quite a bit out of something minor. Now it looks like I may possibly make a little game out of this...

Feel free to drop in and make a comment.
Ideas would be great.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Gameboy-style

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:13:30 am
The only critiques I can offer up are that your run animation could use another frame (does gameboy support that?) and that the robot looks like he's falling forwards.

Really beautiful work, though.

EDIT - Scratch the comment about the run animation, I'd thought it was two frames. That said, it could benefit from a little more difference between the left-leg-forward and right-leg-forward frames.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:22:09 am
in some of the sprites, she seems a little more male and not enough female. i love the scene 1 thing. if she is to be fixed on the background, why not aa the lines some and make them even prettier? also, your sprites have a color that is actually pretty useless and just takes away clarity. if you take it away, not only would the sprites be more clear, but would fit actual restrictions as well. im talking about the shade that you use to buffer the lightest entry.

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 01:26:23 am
Ryumaru is right. She needs a more femanine body. Curves.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 01:31:32 am
i really like this one Ryona!

i agree with Ryu on the extra shade- and taking it out might make animation and all that simpler.
My only crit is that the hair on the bottom of the first pic seems to be blown in the wind without any idea of where the wind is coming from. also- the anime style is pretty nice ( i love anime) but I think you could've done more with the hair- possibly making it more realistic. right now it looks slightly reminiscent of Akira's Dragon ballz- great but slightly unoriginal in semblance.

Overall me like!

[edit] more curves on such a small sprite might lead to the sprite looking fat or bloated. perhaps her animation could be altered to exude femininity?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:33:06 am by gliding »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 01:36:10 am
you did a good job on making her feminine in the jump anim, but not so much the other ones.

Offline AIGuy

• Type your personal text here.
    • View Profile
    • AIZone

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:43:04 am
It looks good, but aren't these closer to actual gameboy colors?
Type your signature here.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:17:43 am
On the original cut scene, I liked the lighting on the sword and hilt, but didn't like the dithering on the body. I think overly dramatic lighting works better on a scenes like this.

As for the sword, I think you should try and have her running while holding the sword handle similar to the picture above, ready to slice at a moment's notice. Seems more ninja to me.

I always like the empowered female type characters, and this one's design is nice, simple and pure.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 08:27:59 am
Thanks for the comments and critiques everyone!

Akzidenz, I've adjusted the running sprite, and I think it looks better now. Let me know what you think.
As for the robot ninja guy, that was just a quick thing I made just to add an enemy on the screen. When I do get around to making the enemy sprites, I'll put more effort in them.

Ryumaru, I'm not sure what you mean about the color/shade thing. You'll need to clarify.
And I'll try to make the sprite look more "female". It's a little tricky because the sprites are so small.
And about the cut scene, the backround may or may not change. I'm not sure yet.

gliding, I'll see what I can do about the hair.
I'm glad you like the style of the character!

AIGuy, I may decide to use the exact tones of the original Gameboy. Though at the same time, the tones of the Gameboy games that I've played on my computer are closer to what I have.

pkmays, I like what you did with the cut scene, so I incorperated the solid shading style into a new altered cut scene pic.
Oh, and I took your advice and made her holding her sword while running. Very good idea.
'Glad you like my character! I'm always for strong leading female characters as well.

Before

After

More to come later.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 09:20:16 am
nice work ryona, its great how everyone here has their own distinctive style and that theres always room for more :)

the only sprite I have a problem with is the run anim, its only problem is just its hard to understand, I had to stare at it for a while to figure out if it was 2 or 4 frames, I thought you would update it later so I decided to hold off until the update :P
heres a quick edit to help my points:

in this edit, I only modified the back leg and changed her hopping.
it really helps to emphasize the back leg with a darker colour as we all know blah-blah-blahs and since you're limited to four frames, its almost required :P
but really I think the legs need to be re done, while they move nicely, they should move at an even and constant rate  :y:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise