AuthorTopic: Introductions  (Read 320562 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Introductions

Reply #530 on: June 11, 2007, 04:13:10 pm
You can always post some music in the OT-creativity thread to lets us warm up to you :)

Offline Mirz

• View Profile
    • Bitmap World

Reply #531 on: June 14, 2007, 03:25:34 am
Reposting this here, since I was told this was the appropriate forum:

Just wanted to say I'm happy I found this site. I am a long-time pixel artist.  I've recently started a webcomic using smilies.  Right off the bat, I want to tell everyone, the artwork is *intentionally* minimalistic.  Too much detail in such a confined space makes it hard to read.  And, personally, I like the cartoony style type of art.

The actual smilies used are a combination of our original work, or work of other artists which we have permission to modify.  Most of the backgrounds, buildings, props and stuff are mousedrawn by us.

We find it really challenging working in such confined space. I think we do an okay job of it! So, just looking for some feedback.  Would appreciate if you checked it out.

http://www.bitmapworld.com
Welcome to the Motherboard.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #532 on: June 14, 2007, 12:14:40 pm
Welcome Mirz, hope you have a nice stay here ;)
A few thoughts I had when browsing your website:
Even though its minimalistic I don't think these imho ugly colours are needed (for example the neon-green in the top mid pannel of the most recent comic, wich btw also includes non pixel-art). Also the black outlines make this look a bit amateurish ms-paint style. And personally I found the most annoying thing was the kerning of the font ;)
All these things could be avoided even when keeping it minimalistic.

Offline Mirz

• View Profile
    • Bitmap World

Reply #533 on: June 14, 2007, 02:20:22 pm
Thank you. Your comments are much appreciated.

wich btw also includes non pixel-art

Really? Are you referring to the house? That actually is a smaller pixel house that was re-sized to fit the characters.  That may seem like a lazy technique, but we tried remastering it, but ended up liking the "chunkier" look better, and therefore just cleaned it up a bit.  As for the color, duly noted.  Again, we are going for the "old computer" look for the strip.  But, colors have been mentioned more than once, so it is something we really do have to take into consideration.

Also the black outlines make this look a bit amateurish ms-paint style.

This is deliberate, since many smilies are drawn in that style (not like the ones on this board, but on other forums). That said, I will admit *my* skill at pixel art far exceeds my partners'.  So, in order to allow everyone to work on the strip, at least for the meantime, it's probably best that we stick with this.  Though, again, your comments are duly noted and something I will keep in mind for the future as our strip grows.

And personally I found the most annoying thing was the kerning of the font

Yes, I will admit this needs work.  Because it is a custom pixel font, it does not work perfectly in most graphics programs. The kerning is off pretty much at any setting.  Usually, a strip is completed, and then the kerning is cleaned up by hand.  It's a 2-step process, since I usually do most of the artwork, and my partner does the kerning after the fact.  Looking at the most recent strip (which just went up yesterday), it appears he hasn't gotten around to fixing the kerning yet.  I will make it a point to him that the bad kerning is noticeable...and irritating...to the readers, so he should get it done immediately. In all honesty, the kerning bugs HIM considerably, and he is usually good at getting it fixed up. Though, laziness, or pure busy-ness, gets the best of us all sometimes.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:31:41 pm by Mirz »
Welcome to the Motherboard.

Offline poingo

• :B
    • View Profile

Reply #534 on: June 18, 2007, 06:58:29 pm
Haroo!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:31:27 am by poingo »
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline chris-mcc

• View Profile
    • Chris-McC

Reply #535 on: June 20, 2007, 05:05:16 pm
I'm Chris :)

Twenty Two years old, from the backwoods of Ontario Canada.

I've been fiddling with pixel art for fun since I got my first PC in 1996, and I haven't improved any since. I've been aware of these forums for a number of years and even had an account and posted for a while but just couldn't commit myself to it. But here I am back again. Hopefully I stick around a bit more and maybe post something too. (I have a horrible habit of lurking)

I'm friendly and cool but I often get banned from online communities because I love to make suggestions to make things better and this seems to be a "no-no". Looking forward to having that not happen here. (maybe I'll post some pixel art too!)

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #536 on: June 20, 2007, 07:30:00 pm
Hey Chris, welcome to Pixelation.  I've had that "banned for suggesting improvements" thing happen to me as well, but you don't have to worry about that here.  So long as you don't act like an ass or rip art, you should be fine.  The moderators are very friendly (despite what some may think) and will hear any suggestions you may have.  They may not do anything about them, but they'll listen.  Enjoy your stay!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #537 on: June 21, 2007, 05:05:58 am
The moderators are very friendly (despite what some may think) and will hear any suggestions you may have.  They may not do anything about them, but they'll listen.  Enjoy your stay!

LIAR! Don't listen to them Chris! The mods are heartless beasts who'd rather suck your soul out of your living flesh, rather than have you make critical suggestions. Run away! Run away as quickly as possible, before they destroy what dignity you have left!!!(exclamation)!!

. . .

(j/k) Ok, so they're not that bad. In fact, there's nothing wrong with them ( or most people here, for that matter) at all. I hope you find everything to your liking here. And it'd be wise to heed Rob(ocop)alan's word, as he's a good fella, and an intellectual...I mean, come on; The guy wears glasses!!

Have fun...
my back hurts...

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #538 on: June 21, 2007, 11:25:45 am
I'm friendly and cool but I often get banned from online communities because I love to make suggestions to make things better and this seems to be a "no-no". Looking forward to having that not happen here. (maybe I'll post some pixel art too!)

You _will_ post some pixel art too :D
' _ '

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #539 on: June 27, 2007, 02:47:40 pm
Hi I'm Jonathan Drain, I live in a small apartment in MAssachusetts and work three jobs to pay for said apartment. I started pixeling because I wanted to make a game and nobody else want to do the art. I've never really been around pixel artists of such talent until I started visiting here so the bar has been set and I'll try to take whatever advice I can from whoever I can in hopes of improving.