AuthorTopic: Tin man *Updated: 12/15/06, new arts*  (Read 10801 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Tin man *Updated: 12/15/06, new arts*

on: December 13, 2006, 04:04:47 am
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:05:39 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Tin man

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:12:04 am
He needs more contrast, or he needs to be brighter.  All his features seem muddy. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:13:44 am
I think some brighter colors would give him more of that tin'finess.
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:18:47 am
I think that you're trying to use the background to make him look dull and sad, but in turn it just washes out the whole piece. You can probably get the same effect from the robot alone, try darkening or lightening the back in order to pump up the contrast and make the silhouette more visible.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:00:08 am
More contrast is the key. Although you should've been able to find that for yourself, you talented bitch :P

I did an edit to show, since I'm not good with words:

I tried to give *more* hints of hue to the greys, to make it look more interesting (blues/greens for lighter colours, browns/purples for darker ones). Upped contrast as well, for everything was muddy. Got rid of one useless colour and tried to make a better usage of two other colours you seem to have forgotten to use throughout the body  ???  Aside from that I only tried to improve the aaing.

It is a good piece. I just think you should've given a bit more thought to some of your choices...but maybe it was a time issue, I dunno. Anyway, I'll be waiting to see what you make out of this ;)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:54:51 am
Its great piece. Lots of detail. Maybe it would look better shifting the smoke on the left a bit further left.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:02:15 pm
More contrast ftw!
But yeah, Filax's edit made him look more 3D.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:06:52 pm
Great. I love the expression, and the pose works fine.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 02:00:31 pm
Update, first post. Basically, I upped the contrast, added more highlights, and did some AA fixing. Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sohashu: Done...ish. Dunno if I upped it enough, as he still seems a tad muddy in places, but... Better, worse?

Zach: I think the new highlights might add to the general robosexuality. I may be wrong :P

Akzidenz: I'm going to play around with the background, see what comes of it. I didn't change anything here, cause I didn't want to add anymore colours or mess with the outlines/AA too much, but I can only imagine the future holds many wonders... or something.

Filax: That edit is fantastic; many thanks for taking the time, putting in the effort on it (really helped highlight some of the problem areas in the original). I didn't alter the colours as much as you did, but I see what you were getting at (and I can only hope I addressed it). As for the sketchy AA and the lack of colour use, I think it has to do with the fact that I was doing this at work. When it was time to go home, I just stopped pixelling, kinda forgot about it, then just... posted it as it was later last night. I worked it some more, and I think I took care of a lot of sloppiness in the update. There is, undoubtedly, much more sloppiness to take care of. :y:

Sharprm: Thanks. By shifting the smoke, do you mean making it, like, blow towards the left? If so, I'll fiddle with it, see if I can implement it in a later update.

Halu: Contrast: in. ;D

Skull: Many thankses.

Again, guys,Thanks much for all the comments, crits. More, please, so I can give this little guy more sexy. :)

*very minor edit on the update's chest*
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:37:17 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: Tin man *Updated: 12/12/06*

Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:51 am
Ugly? There's nothing ugly about that li'l cutie.

I really like your tin man design.
Though, he looks like he's smoldering. I wonder what happened... o_o

Question: Is this the TinMan of The Wizard of Oz, or is it a tin man?