AuthorTopic: Improvement Piece  (Read 8424 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Improvement Piece

Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 05:47:20 am
I gave some crits on pixel joint, I'll just paste them here for people to possibly agree/disagree with:

It's my approach that the darkest tone doesn't appear as an outline, but simply as shadow. As such, it doesn't appear anywhere where there's highlights. You're almost on that track with this new piece, but I'll do an edit to show where I think it can be "perfected"...Okay I might have gotten a bit carried away...

A couple of palettes, and the legs are a bit retarded... Your palette's hue shifts were erratic; it's still possible, but you'll need to reduce saturation and maybe up or down value on the pink and blue to make it a more consistent ramp.

You don't seem to have a solid lightsource defined for your piece.

And yeah, don't use shadow tones where they shouldnt be...which is areas of highlight.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 08:59:45 am
Thanks for your help, EyeCraft.

I didn't want it to look too much like yours though.

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 09:36:50 am
Sorry for the double post, but I went ahead and use further crits from PJ to make another edit:

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 02:34:50 pm
Hey, nice stuff... sexiest lines I've ever seen!:P

Seriously, though, this is coming along really nicely. I've only a few crits, and I did a small edit to help illustrate, 'cause sometimes my mouth-words don't make so much sense:

One of (maybe the only) major thing I changed involved shading. In certain places (like the top arm) some of the AA was done in a way that made the area seem blurry. The diagrammy thing to the right of the edit isn't the best example (ptoing made a better one a while ago under a post by Ego, and I'm sure there are others floating around), but It'll work. AA is meant to smooth out areas, and when you do it like it's done in the x'd version (just pile lighter colours on top of darker ones) it just makes lines appear fatter, and blurry.

The other thing I did (hopefully) was make the light source a bit more consistent . In your version there are, in places, some weird things going on. In some places, for example, you have the brightest highlight beside, like, a midtone or light shadow and it just kind of makes for jaggies.

I also agree with Eyecraft about the palette; the ramp seems a bit inconsistent saturation wise. That's a personal choice though, I think, and it's really just fine the way it is, so... I dunno, take that for whatever it's worth.

This is looking hot, and the improvement from the original's pretty significant. Good stuff.

Oh, and thanks for the colours! I love seeing other people take on my lines :D

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 11:44:53 pm
w00t. Thanks muchly for the crits. :)

My AA isn't the best. I think I understand how to do it but not how to do it correctly everytime. Lightsourcing is also hard for me. Sometimes I can't really imagine how light would fall on something.

Not to make excuses, those are just my problem areas. I'll definetly have to do another update.

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 07:47:49 am
Just posting to note an update!

Thanks for the crits :D

I'll be putting up a new improvement piece soon.

Offline Aleiav

• View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 10:48:18 pm
Sorry for the triple post but I've posted a new piece for crits.