AuthorTopic: Always moving forward...  (Read 9784 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Always moving forward...

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 09:40:17 pm
What's wrong with gamemaker?
It's the most easy most powerful tool for 2d game development.
You can make ANY kind of 2d game with it. And it's the most easy to learn tool I've come across yet.

And if you have performance issues with it, the reason is in 75% of all cases your code, not the program.
It's faster than you may think if you use it efficiently.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:03:35 pm
I don't know anything about programming, but I've seen some pretty sweet games made with DarkBasic.

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 11:04:49 pm
I suggest going with C++ if you're willing to go the extra length to learn the windows API and DirectX, but it's a big pain to try to get other graphics modes such as MCGA or even some of the popular libraries to work correctly with a specific compiler. I say stick with GM for game dev if you're not really limited by the speed issues of it, though, as C++ is just terrible for getting graphics working.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 11:07:25 pm
I am currently trying to learn freebasic, it seems pretty easy and there's many game programming libraries available for it. (Allegro for one)

http://www.freebasic.net/

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:07:23 am
TGF is near crap.
I don't know never used them, but there is also MMF2 and stuff.

Offline hidden killer

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 01:28:32 pm
if u really wanna get serious on game making, go for visual c++ and if u wanna go for mobile games, learn java

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 03:25:23 pm
hidden killer = right

Game maker is good for working on amateur work, prototypes and such but it takes up a lot of the computers processing time, I like game maker as this isn't something that concerns the average user, but in a professional sense you wont get that far it is a good learning tool though. Java is good in some ways as it is relatively easy to learn but again it has problems. The advantage of Java is that it is used on mobile games and is easier then C and  C++, if you understand game maker code then you will pick up the basics fairly quickly. C++ however (specifically visual C++ as this one i know supports direct X SDK's etc.) is probably the best for game development it is used in all the higher quality games, it's not too hard to pick up once you understand Java. The main problems you will have with Java, C and C++ as far as working on games is that you have to make a big jump from game maker as you need to learn how to handle graphics and an engine more in depth.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 04:56:34 pm
hidden killer: Visual C++ is just an ide/compiler made by microsoft. As far as I know there's better free solutions too.