AuthorTopic: Critique on Run Cycle  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Critique on Run Cycle

on: October 26, 2018, 04:13:45 pm
Hey guys!
I made this run cycle for a game. I appreciate any critiques on how to improve it  :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Critique on Run Cycle

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:27:43 pm
where's their hips? looks like you confiscated their pelvis a bit, you might want to give it back :'p
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:44:30 am
where's their hips? looks like you confiscated their pelvis a bit, you might want to give it back :'p

My first language isn't English and I'm a little bit confused with what you said. So you're saying the hips should be bigger? It's the base sprite I'll use for a game. And it will be covered by clothes. I'm afraid it will look like a female if I make the hips bigger  ???

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 12:51:19 pm
The problem with the hips isn't that they're too narrow, but that they're too squat, they need to be taller. If anything, extending them vertically will actually help make the character look less feminine.

Another problem is the character looks unbalanced because their feet are to far apart. A wide stance is fine when standing still, but when walking, it looks a little unnatural unless the character shifts their entire weight between feet with each step, which this character isn't doing. It also makes for a very "angry drunk guy swagger" look, which is nice for some individual characters, but probably isn't appropriate for a base character.

Bringing in the legs a pixel each also helps the thighs look narrower and more "masculine", and it helps reinforce the perspective, with their legs looking smaller since they're farther away from the "camera".

The character seems to be looking up. Their body is clearly seen from above, but the proportions on their face are as if we're seeing them from the front, eye-level with them. This creates the appearance that they're looking up. If they're looking forward, we'd see more of the top of their head, and their face would be lower on the head.

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 10:53:14 pm
I thank you so much eishiya for the great suggestions. Helpful as always. I really appreciate it :)

I made the changes you suggested. Changed the hips some. And also brought in the legs a pixel each. Made the legs movement more natural.
Also brought the eyes down one pixel, so it doesn't seem like he's looking up.

Below is the second version I made based on your comment "it looks a little unnatural unless the character shifts their entire weight between feet with each step, which this character isn't doing."
I tried to make it look like the weight shifts with each step. Let me know if I did it right :noob:

Thanks again!

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 09:20:10 pm
Also I made the sideways run. Would appreciate it if you guys give me feedback and critique on this too! :)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 12:08:10 am
The downward run had the camera high up, RPG-style, but the side run appears to be viewed from a lower angle, like in a sidescroller. If it's also meant to be viewed from above, then the far side of the body should be higher than the near side (this includes the far shoulder, arm, the far side of the pelvis, and the far foot).

The character's chest looks rather misshapen. It looks like you have their body rotated slightly towards the viewer, which is fine, but their far arm appears attached too far back, as if the torso isn't rotated.
In addition, the upper torso should rotate a little more in such an energetic run.

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:17 pm
Thank you so much for the help. Yea actually I could feel something is wrong...

So here is the update. So far I only worked on the idle. Posting it here before I work on the animation to see if it needs more work before I animate it.

Looking forward to more critiques! Thanks!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 06:42:26 am
hm, looking at this further I think the problem is an overabundance of colors and a lot of size discrepancies. Those legs are kinda chicken-leggy, and the torso is way too long and detailed compared to the simplistic style of the rest of the piece.

My edit doesn't fix much of that, but hopefully it points you in the right direction

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Sammy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 04:44:19 pm
hm, looking at this further I think the problem is an overabundance of colors and a lot of size discrepancies. Those legs are kinda chicken-leggy, and the torso is way too long and detailed compared to the simplistic style of the rest of the piece.

My edit doesn't fix much of that, but hopefully it points you in the right direction

Thank you for your critiques MysteryMeat! I appreciate the time you spent to fix my crappy sprite.

With the "size discrepancies" you mentioned, can you show me an example? I'm a little confused on how it should really be. And if the sideways sprite doesn't have the right proportions, then the one facing down must be messed up too... Is that what you saying?