AuthorTopic: Legend of Zelda Mockup for Practise / Feedback  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Legend of Zelda Mockup for Practise / Feedback

on: October 24, 2018, 08:14:34 pm
Been trying to do slightly more complicated scenes and getting characters into something other than a bad idle pose, and therefore tried to do a mockup of the original Legend of Zelda. Any feedback is much appreciated as I feel I'm still rusty when it comes to picking colours and making characters.

Update with the 2nd Mockup:

3rd Mockup, originally on page 2:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:43:30 am by Traslogan »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Legend of Zelda Mockup for Practise / Feedback

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:45:50 am
Not a lot to say about this one, palette captured the original games pretty well. Link sprite is a little hard to read but I don't know what perspective you're going with here (top-down or side) so it's hard to give details.

Will there be more mockups?

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:04:38 pm
Link's outline feels a bit harsh, it may be too black imho compared to the rest of the softer, more pastel-colored mockup (which is lovely btw)
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 04:02:02 pm
Not a lot to say about this one, palette captured the original games pretty well. Link sprite is a little hard to read but I don't know what perspective you're going with here (top-down or side) so it's hard to give details.

Will there be more mockups?

Yeah I was going for one of those during-an-attack frames, which I think are naturally harder to read either way, though I'm really not experienced when it comes to characters and posing so it's relatively new grounds for me. I based his perspective on the original game, which has to convolute the perspective a bit for the sake of his side-movements. Because his overall sprite stays within a roughly 16x16 limit (His sword is a separate sprite in my mind), it was never going to be easy to replace the old mixed perspective.

I've done other mockups like trying to make Zelda 2 look like it's on the original Gameboy, but I've not done other Zelda 1 mockups.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:06:42 pm by Traslogan »

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:03:21 pm
Link's outline feels a bit harsh, it may be too black imho compared to the rest of the softer, more pastel-colored mockup (which is lovely btw)

Thanks! I tried to keep a policy that "if it can move, it should be outlined", though I can see what you mean about the contrast of his outline versus his own colours. He does use the same outline as the monsters though for consistency, so the fix is a unique Link outline colour I guess

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 06:35:09 am
Your policy is understandably correct: if it's a character or a monster it should contrast with the environment and thus should be outlined.
It works well with the octoroks because their color is quite dark; works less with Link imo because of his lighter colors.

the fix is a unique Link outline colour I guess
That's what I would try to experiment with if i were you :)
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:55:09 pm
Your policy is understandably correct: if it's a character or a monster it should contrast with the environment and thus should be outlined.
It works well with the octoroks because their color is quite dark; works less with Link imo because of his lighter colors.
That's what I would try to experiment with if i were you :)

Some light increase paired with a minor bump in the hue, I think it still works as an outline but blends in better? I kept the eye-area as the original outline colour though.

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 06:36:38 pm
Did a 2nd mockup, this time with the dungeon. Re-used the original Link.

Found it pretty difficult to do much with the fact that the dungeons are always based on a sole colour, but alas I tried.
I was a few 16x16 tiles short of the proper resolution last mockup, and upped it accordingly too.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:33:43 pm
The pyramidal blocks in the middle look a bit shallow, I think the illuminated faces should be as bright as the highlights on rims of the other tiles, if not brighter.

Also, you are using the same middle color on the internal diagonals like they where an opaque 3d mesh defining the tappered shape of the blocks, but they are edges of a solid and should be highlighted on north and west like the  rims of the rest of the tiles. :)

Edit: I can also suggest that you could drop at least one shade on the hopscotch brick pattern, the internal shading inside each brick is barely visible, and it feels a little pillow shaded no?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:40:36 pm by Vinik »

Offline Traslogan

• Traslogan
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 07:45:10 pm
The pyramidal blocks in the middle look a bit shallow, I think the illuminated faces should be as bright as the highlights on rims of the other tiles, if not brighter.

Also, you are using the same middle color on the internal diagonals like they where an opaque 3d mesh defining the tappered shape of the blocks, but they are edges of a solid and should be highlighted on north and west like the  rims of the rest of the tiles. :)

Edit: I can also suggest that you could drop at least one shade on the hopscotch brick pattern, the internal shading inside each brick is barely visible, and it feels a little pillow shaded no?

Any better?

Edit: Did not see your edit until my own edit so the indented pattern isn't affected, so here's another edit with trying to remedy that. I try not to waste too many new unique colours unless it's for a new type of visual (e.g. walls instead of floors, active sprites instead of static backgrounds in general, etc)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:52:16 pm by Traslogan »