AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 150378 times)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #330 on: December 29, 2006, 08:45:05 am
Holy fuck, so, anyone here seen Children of Men yet?
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #331 on: December 29, 2006, 09:46:03 am
Holy fuck, so, anyone here seen Children of Men yet?
not I, but I want to..

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #332 on: December 29, 2006, 10:17:54 am
Well, there is no majority. I'm just saying, looking at percentage in communities and relative to population and stuff, I've found that Swedes especially are pretty big on retro things. But especially Commodore 64 related stuff. I think, if it wasn't for us, the C64 scene wouldn't have been half the size it is today as both www.c64.com and the best online radio station EVAR, www.slayradio.com were founded by Swedes. Many gaming magazines over here also seem to have a retro section or two where they talk about old games, or even remake modern games into C64/NES/Amiga mock-ups. At least the ones I find in the cafeteria at my school. I'm just assuming we're big on the retro thing as a whole, as it seems logical.

But then, I don't live in Sweden. :P Most of the people I've met that are into computers or games at all, usually fall into the same anime-watching, comic-con going, closet-nerd types. Most are into old games they played when they were little, but I can't say I've noticed much activity in the really "old school" areas. Everyone is pretty into emulators, but that's about it. I guess you notice more if you hang around such places.

I've found that Norwegians to a surprising degree hang around wannabe-cool places like Break and such (watching videos made by 'em is always a weird experience...) Personally, I don't feel the need to be associated with what country I live in. There's only so many Viking references you can take...

In other news: Where's my snow gone to?There hasn't been a single proper snowfall all year. When I was living further north we used to have two meters of it by this time. I can't get in the Christmas spirit in October weather. It's just depressing. Ugh... I bet the doomsday prophets are going to have a good year.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #333 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:35 pm
not I, but I want to..

It's in limited release, but it's playing in most metropolitan areas.. if there's a theatre within 3 or 4 hours of you that's showing it, I promise the drive is worth it.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #334 on: December 29, 2006, 09:23:21 pm
New years resolutions:

- be more active (socially, physically, mentally, etc)
- make video game
- upgrade computer or buy a new one (probably cheaper in my case)
- go see Children of Men
- pixel scale model of the earth... no wait... not that

I also want to let everyone know that Istvan has finally released Sydney Finds Employment, an adventure game starring a homeless guy looking for, what else, a job. Check out the news post over at PJ for more details.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #335 on: December 30, 2006, 03:09:59 pm
In other news: Where's my snow gone to?There hasn't been a single proper snowfall all year. When I was living further north we used to have two meters of it by this time. I can't get in the Christmas spirit in October weather. It's just depressing. Ugh... I bet the doomsday prophets are going to have a good year.
We had snow in November where I live. Then it went away. Now I'm further north, where I used to live. We have April weather here. Foxes think it's spring, birds peck for leaf buds on trees, bears never went into hibernation. I don't dare imagine how the real spring will look.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #336 on: December 30, 2006, 06:44:14 pm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/c/csil.htm
 :y:
BTW, The Ending archive they have in VG museum is like the best thing ever.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #337 on: December 31, 2006, 09:13:40 pm
   So I decided to take up another hobby, other than pixeling, and grabbed a guitar. It's acoustic, and a cheap off brand, but playable for me, none the less.
   I've only had it for about 4 days, and the tips of my fingers are beginning to build callouses. I love metal music, and the technicality of their play. However, I know that to even grasp their level, it would take me years to get the hang of a normal guitar, as well as speed and time changes.
   So my question is, seeing as how I'm completely new to this thing, I was wanting to know if anyone here even plays the guitar, and if you do, do you have any tips for beginners like myself to develop their skills?
my back hurts...

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #338 on: December 31, 2006, 09:50:10 pm
I don't know much about guitar, but I'd think there would be better ways to get callouses on your fingers. :P Good luck.

Offline lonlaz

• View Profile

Reply #339 on: January 01, 2007, 01:27:15 am
I played guitar a while back.  The most important thing to learn is to start with good technique.  Because if you pick up bad habits, you may never be able to retrain yourself.  Use your pinky finger as much as you can to hold down strings on the fret, don't get lazy with that finger.