AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 150410 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #150 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:52 pm
curious, but what is it that you eat and drink? You can think you are in good shape and still be unhealthy..
there's nothing healthy about eating meat, infact, humans aren't meant to eat meat. It digests very slowly as opposed to other forms such as fruit which are both higher in nutrients and water and digests almost instantly..
It also costs less to be vegetarian, because to raise livestock you have to feed them and give them gallons of water, etc.. also it creates more pollution at factory farms and such, not to mention the chemicals and artificial stuff they put in it all.

sorry man but i don't think i'd give up steak, bar-b q ribs and Fried chicken for spinach and cole slaw. yuckity yuck!

although i havent heard of that, i have heard that some chimps hunt other monkeys and share the meat, but it isn't for dietary purposes, rather its a form of defining where they are in their rank among their group..

oh, and Im aware of the difficulties in people which shrug it off, but I like to share what I hear, and if anyone listens, then thats good enough for me. its when people don't listen which disturbs me.. :P

I'm sure that is true, however it points out one of the major flaws in vegan thinking. Vegetarian animals eat meat because its what they were meant to do. There is no such thing as a vegetarian cow or horse. They're that way by default so IMO, there shouldn't be much parallel at all :/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:08:06 pm by gliding »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #151 on: December 18, 2006, 11:01:14 pm
That is so funny Rox. I love that site now. :P

Especially this: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=irule
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 11:04:59 pm by mccow28 »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #152 on: December 18, 2006, 11:21:31 pm
we only eat meat because we can, and have been.
I'm sure most people when they are kids, never know what they are eating is from an animal when they eat it, and so when they eventually find out, they give it not much thought because they've been doing it for so long and have grown accustomed to it.
If you're parents do it, you do it..
However, if kinds were shown the entire process of how that food which is on their plate came to be, then i'm sure alot of people would choose not to eat it.
Also, if we had not the tools to take advantage of things so easily, we wouldn't be capable of controlling what happens to other animals. Because we have developed survival skills beyond what any other animal could have, we also use it for methods to take advantage of everything and exploit it for ourselves.
It is often not about what you can do, but what you should do, what is best for not only you, but others, including those which may even be capable of hurting you.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #153 on: December 18, 2006, 11:24:25 pm
I'm sure most people when they are kids, never know what they are eating is from an animal when they eat it, and so when they eventually find out, they give it not much thought because they've been doing it for so long and have grown accustomed to it.
However, if kinds were shown the entire process of how that food which is on their plate came to be, then i'm sure alot of people would choose not to eat it.
Also, if we had not the tools to take advantage of things so easily, we wouldn't be capable of controlling what happens to other animals. Because we have developed survival skills beyond what any other animal could have, we also use it for methods to take advantage of everything and exploit it for ourselves.
It is often not about what you can do, but what you should do, what is best for not only you, but others, including those which may even be capable of hurting you.

Even if that were true its specualtory evidence at best! If you want to use science to explain yourself than be my guest but you can't just pick and choose what you want. Veganism is a choice. Its totally up to you whether you believe in it or not, however you can't just pull evidence or justification out of a hat.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #154 on: December 18, 2006, 11:33:47 pm
how inconsiderate  :'(
have you ever investigated where the meat came from?

I didn't have to investigate where my meat came from. I'm Mexican. We literally kill the animal ourselves, and eat it afterwards. I remember when I was younger, I was outside at my Grandparents home in an old town, in Mexico. Apparently, my uncles, and their cousins decided it best to get drunk and kill a pig. So they dragged it out of it's pen, pulled out a fairly large gun, and BAM! They shot it directly in between the eyes.
The sad part is, it didn't die afterwards. I still remember it struggling to stand up, stumbling on the ground, with blood spurting out it's head. The drunkards tried shooting it again in the head, but to no avail. The poor thing(being a mother, while it's piglets where still in the pen) kept wobbling around. After a couple of shots, the pig finally died.
After watching this, I thought to myself, man, so this is what I shove in my mouth. Some poor animal has to be slaughtered to be forced in my mouth, with a sick smile on my face. After they burned the hair off the animal, and gutted the insides, they made Asado with it.
When they served the meal, I remember my mother staring at me, as if she understood that I didn't want to eat it after watching it suffer the way it did. Soon thereafter, however, I couldn't help myself, and decided to grab a plate, and eat the Asado with some homeade beans and tortillas. Bear in mind, I have seen other animals killed before my innocent eyes before, and afterwards, like goats having their throats cut, after bieng hung upside down, and the children(like myself) having to hold it's guts after they gutted it, so we could make some briskette/carne.(goat meat. "Carne" just means meat in spanish, though.) I finally started to realize that I had nothing to be sickened of, or ashamed of, since in fact, that was my culture, at least where my parents and their ancestors came from. From what my mother and father have told me, they have witnessed worse, from what their poorer relatives had to live off of, and eat.(the whole drunk beaner shooting thing was pretty awful, though, I must admit)
So in short, I will never give up meat, no matter what "better" organic foods there may be. It sounds stubborn, I know, but bear in mind, I eat more fruit than meat, on a daily basis. However, completely giving up meat in my family, would almost make me feel like I'm spitting on their culture/way of living. I can't deny who I am, or where I'm from, and am proud of it.....And I f***ing hate goats. They're creepy looking...
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #155 on: December 18, 2006, 11:41:00 pm
I've killed what I've eaten and it hasn't made me feel any different about delicious, wonderful meat.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #156 on: December 18, 2006, 11:58:05 pm

That almost sounds like you're suggesting that eating meat is moraly wrong when infact morality has nothing to do with it.

You need to consider the food chain. Those that are at the top of the food chain are always the best survivors. The fact that humans devour just about anything that gets in their way greatly contributes to why the species has done so well.

Even if in a thousand years from now the whole human race becomes vegetarians, they still have to thank their meat-eating ancestors for being strong and fearsome in the animal kingdom, and through it, becoming the top dogs.

I doubt a herbivore species could ever rise above the rest as the dominant species.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:02:03 am by Ryona »

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #157 on: December 19, 2006, 12:01:46 am
Diet has nothing to do with why we're the top of the evolutional ladder.. it's because we're capable of conscious thought and create tools. The moment that conscious thought factors into the evolutional equation, diet gets factored out.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #158 on: December 19, 2006, 12:03:55 am
I wasn't saying it was solely the reason. just a big part of why humans did so well. It can't be denied that if we didn't have such diet that we wouldn't do so well. Especially during the ice age.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:05:54 am by Ryona »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #159 on: December 19, 2006, 12:06:22 am
Probably the only reason we started making tools was to hunt.  So diet has everything to do with it, albeit in an indirect way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:12:21 am by Darien »