AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 150451 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #110 on: December 17, 2006, 03:53:28 pm
It's a matter of image. I can't imagine Will in a movie like that. Not unless they threw in some smirk-inducing one-liners and a reason for him to scream really loud in a comical fashion in at least one scene. And Matrix isn't really the kind of movie that wants to make you smile.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #111 on: December 17, 2006, 04:04:13 pm
i think keanu reeves did a awesome job as neo.  that movie woulda sucked ass if it was will smith.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #113 on: December 18, 2006, 02:19:08 am
Haha, the only thing better than people watching is being there to eavesdrop the middle of a conversation and then wondering "How the fuck did that even come up between those two?" Overheard in New York is probably one of my favorite sites ever. I hope to visit there some day soon and hopefully listen to some entertaining people.

B.O.B.: I'm going off of past knowledge of how I don't like the nu metal genre and how actors and actresses don't merge seamlessly into the music scene. First impressions lead me to "Wicked Wisdom is something I don't ever want to listen to." And if I did listen to them, I bet I would prove my prediction true. Please note though, that I did not say they are bad. I said that they sound like they would be embarrassingly bad, since I've never heard them I can't speak in absolutes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:24:02 am by Blick »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #114 on: December 18, 2006, 02:39:01 am
Long shadows:
Short shadows:

Okay I'm working on some gauntlet style graphical assets and would like to get the opinions of some people (such as yourself).

Which of the shadows above do you think looks better (never mind the differing tiles, or the quality of the tiles, they are just structural templates so far)? I preffer the first longer shadows and they are at the same scale as those in gauntlet 2. But I would prefer a higher light source generally, and that would mean shadows for the gate tiles would extend over the tile boundaries (not shown).

Do you think an iso view could work for a gauntlet-style game and would it retain the play feel? I'm generally not fond of iso with directional controls (keyboard, gamepad). Do you know of any iso gauntlet-likes that I could try out?

And a couple other related questions.

Do you know of any free gauntlet-like games? All I know of are the old dos games Myrmidon and Boboli.

A long time ago I played a dos shareware gauntlet-like game and am trying to find out what it was called so I can get it. If I recall correctly it has the following features:
* 320 x 200 EGA graphics.
* Single character a wizard.
* Weapons are fireballs of increasing strength.
Tweak anyone's memory?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #115 on: December 18, 2006, 03:07:06 am
I don't know Gauntlet but i used to play Garrison on the amiga. I really love the title screen.

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php%3Ftype%3Dpublisher%26name%3DRainbow%2520Arts

What kind of waepon is he holding? Maybe this game is similar, i'm sure you can find the rom somewhere (need winuae or fellow to run it)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 03:09:51 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #116 on: December 18, 2006, 04:05:54 am
That garrison is definately a Gauntlet clone. I'll have to check it out.

Speaking of amigas...I never used an amiga before, but I tried using WinUAE to try out the free version of Personal Paint to research for my own pixeller, I got PP, WinUAE and various kickstarts, but on booting it always seems to want a disk. The version of PP I've got is just an LHA archive. Do i need to make a disk image? If so how?

EDIT...

And another thing in my research I've also been checking out Deluxe Paint and DP Animate and it put in mind an old piece of soaftware by EA with much the same gui as DP with which you composed simple animations out of premade sprites and backdrops and you could drop in speech bubbles and such. I played with it in primary school. Anyone know what that's called?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:12:17 am by surt »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #117 on: December 18, 2006, 05:13:42 am
If Will Smith was in it, it WOULD have been a ridiculous movie.
WOULD have been?  ???

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #118 on: December 18, 2006, 06:12:30 am

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #119 on: December 18, 2006, 09:03:10 am
Nah... There's no way I could give up meat and become a vegetarian. I love meat way too much. I don't even think I go a day without putting meat in my mouth.