AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 150400 times)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #70 on: December 16, 2006, 01:07:14 am
A warm and gooey peanut butter (crunchy) and jelly sandwitch, with a chilled glass of milk. I tell you, I'll only eat PBnJ in the privacy of my own room, because it is downright sexual.

And I'm getting sick of all this post LotR blockbuster fantasy movie business. It's a known fact that scifi >>>>> fantasy. Where's my next Serenity or Alien movie?

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: December 16, 2006, 01:20:23 am
Shocked, stunned, knickers rocked off. What's missing is a length of rope and a grim determination.

Lol! That just gave me a mental image of me in a very sticky situation.

And, pkmays, the whole thing about you having a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich in privacy and it feeling sexual is kinda like me with spicey Korean noodles. When it's laaate at night, and I start feeling a bit hungry, I whip out the noodles and enjoy them. And I'll tell you, something about slurping hot, spicey noodles in the middle of the night, and having that pleasing warmth go down your throat and hit the void of your stomach almost feels orgasmic.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: December 16, 2006, 01:21:13 am
And I'm getting sick of all this post LotR blockbuster fantasy movie business. It's a known fact that scifi >>>>> fantasy. Where's my next Serenity or Alien movie?

Battlestar Galactica isn't good enough for you? Them's some high standards.  :)
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: December 16, 2006, 01:25:17 am
Meh. Scifi generally has more boundaries than fantasy, because true science-fiction SHOULD arise thoughts along the lines of "that might be possible". Fantasy is just totally out there, racing its own race on gryphons and horses with tentacles for ears and whatever the doped writers can think up.

Fantasy is also usually more colorful and less... strict, somehow. But on the other hand, it can be a lot dirtier and too low-tech for my liking as well.

I think I've found my preference somewhere inbetween. I was writing a story on and off for a while last year, that took place in a battred-up post-apocalypse future. But one of the main characters didn't even know that, so they were all living out in a village in the desert with old-school fantasy style going-ons, but some buildings were remains of old spaceships and stuff like that. It was kinda cool to dwelve into such a world, where laser guns and super-x-ray vision modules and cyborgs could exist, but don't HAVE to exist.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: December 16, 2006, 01:29:00 am
I think the main difference between science fiction and fantasy is that the former is usually used as a metaphor or cautionary tale, whereas the latter usually focuses on trite morals. Not that I have anything against either - I enjoy me some dragon-slaying rogue knights with magical powers and all - but science fiction has made for far better literature.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: December 16, 2006, 01:32:49 am
Fantasy is also usually more colorful and less... strict, somehow. But on the other hand, it can be a lot dirtier and too low-tech for my liking as well.

What about the world of "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe"? I'd say it has a nice mix of sci-fi and fantasy.

I think I've found my preference somewhere inbetween. I was writing a story on and off for a while last year, that took place in a battred-up post-apocalypse future. But one of the main characters didn't even know that, so they were all living out in a village in the desert with old-school fantasy style going-ons, but some buildings were remains of old spaceships and stuff like that. It was kinda cool to dwelve into such a world, where laser guns and super-x-ray vision modules and cyborgs could exist, but don't HAVE to exist.

Now that is a great idea! Definetly something I'd like to see in a comic, animated series, or even a movie.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: December 16, 2006, 02:00:35 am
Battlestar Galactica isn't good enough for you? Them's some high standards.  :)

Yeah, I'm pretty much starved for some quality scifi, cause I can only watch reruns of DS9 and Firefly so many times. Star Trek is gone, Farscape is gone, Firefly, Andromeda (though it sucked), Stargate (well okay, Atlatis, but new cast sucks).

I do enjoy some of the scifi with fantasy stuff, like Fist of the North Star, Nausicaa, Warhammer 40,000 etc., but lazers + jumpsuits + spaceship = me_explode. If I didn't have a huge library of scifi novels to choose from, I'd give up on living.

Opps, gotta run. Battlestar Galactica's about to come on.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: December 16, 2006, 02:05:30 am
I hardly delve into either genre for my fiction, but cyberpunk is probably my favorite genre for videogames.  At least for the moment.  It used to be fantasy, when I was into JRPGs, but that time has passed.

I think that the problem with much sci fi and fantasy is that at times they can value cool ideas over characters and literary qualities, becoming more about the ideas than the stories themselves, with authors thinking that they have to make people think "that might be possible."

It's really unfortunate though, that sci fi and fiction get shelved away from the rest of fiction, next to the romance section.  And when someone wants to write a story in the future they say "well, it's not REALLY science fiction" because of the way the genres are treated.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #78 on: December 16, 2006, 03:02:41 am
What about the world of "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe"? I'd say it has a nice mix of sci-fi and fantasy.

Now that is a great idea! Definetly something I'd like to see in a comic, animated series, or even a movie.

There's absolutely nothing Sci-Fi about He-Man. Poor asimov is rocking in his grave. Well, that is to say when you see pseudo-scientific guns and stuff in a film or something, it doesn't make it sci-fi. At least not any sort of sci-fi people who like sci-fi would like. Fantasy usually has mystical connotations. Sci-Fi, far, far the opposite.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #79 on: December 16, 2006, 03:07:45 am
pkmays: You can always go out and buy the season boxsets of Sliders and/or Seaquest. Woo.